FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Simulator Sickness
Tretboot #1 26/02/2008 - 01h09

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 25/02/2008

Off line

First i have to say, English is not my native language, so its a bit hard for me handling medical terms and things like that.

The last few days i worked on getting Freetrack working, build myself a 3 point cap and checked out a few games, played with the settings (actually a lot, not so easy finding the perfect profile), and then when i got it all right and start to really play i soon start to feel sick, i think its called Simulator Sickness, or Motion Sickness. Never had that on the PC before. From time to time i get a feeling in my stomach like that when i am in a car and try to read when someone else is driving.

The Games i tryed were Combat Flight Simulator 3 (Operation Flanders Fields) and IL2. Its not only for effect in those games, really helps you to stay on a target. So i don't really want to play without freetrack once i seen what it can do.

This sickness really makes me feel really uncomfortable even long after i stopped playing, lasts about an hour untill it gets better. Its not to the point that i have to vomit but its annoying :(

Do any of you get sick from using freetrack? Does it get better once you get used to it? Is there anything you can do against it, any tips?

Or is freetrack then just not for me?
didja #2 26/02/2008 - 17h36

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Hi !

I guess you got the air sickness... The realism is so important that your brain thinks you are in a real plane...

I'm not that kidding, it could be true. ^^

When I started to play with FT, I did experienced what you are experiencing... after some days, it disapeared... just like in a real plane (I fly gliders :) ).

I just hope it's going to get better... but I'm sure it's something close to the "real" air sickness...

Rémy ;)
Posted Image
Tretboot #3 26/02/2008 - 18h39

Off line

That might be true!

I made a new profile for IL2 with a bit more smoothing (actually i copyed it out of the forum and adjusted a bit) and it was already better, you get used to it i think :) It really is kind of a sign that Freetrack works as intended when you get some sickness out of it. Really gets you into the game and even gives you an advantage i think. Thats different from all other game improving things i had used. Force Feedback is nice, but messes your aim, so you play mostly a bit worse with it. Playing a racing game with steering wheel is a lot more fun, but people who play just with the keyboard are faster. But when you are in a plane and can keep your enemy in sight while turning, thats a different story  :dev:
didja #4 26/02/2008 - 23h22

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

You're going to kill them all :lol: ^^ !

Have nice flights ! ;)

Rémy
Posted Image
Kestrel #5 27/02/2008 - 00h40

Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

When I first used a webcam head tracker before FT I remember feeling a bit disorientated and unwell once but never since. If you're a person that finds even normal computer games give you motion sickness then it may take some time to get used to FT but if you're not then it shouldn't be an issue.
Tretboot #6 27/02/2008 - 11h38

Off line

Yes, it is much better now, you just need to get used to it. Same as getting used to the general concept. At first i noticed how many headmovements i made that i am unaware of and i was looking all over the place at times, but after a while it comes really naturally. You just have to stop smashing your head on the keyboard when something goes wrong  :santa:

So if some kind of Air, Motion or Simulator Sickness or how ever you call it hits you, don't give up, you really will get used to it. Last time some PC game gave me feelings in my stomach was i think when playing Forsaken, a Descent clone long time ago when the first 3D cards did just come out.
BlindVision #7 05/03/2008 - 23h23

Registered on : 13/02/2008

Off line Www

welcome to the REAL world of flying.

Spatial disorientation is the term for what you are experiencing -its quite normal. -and it some time kills pilots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_disorientation if you want to read about it. We are tought about it when takeing a licens for flying airplanes/gliders. -and tested once a year a the aero-doctors office, if we can cope with it.
support FREETRACK developers, the do it FREE for you -HELP them/yourself help others.
-another fun DIY thing to do, works with Free-Track too, HAVE A LOOK
usr #8 09/03/2008 - 12h08

Registered on : 30/11/2007

Off line

you might feel a little confused in real world traffic after your first few sessions with freetrack, when you first realize that a small movement of the head won't make you see what's behind you. (happened to me)
babasior #9 09/03/2008 - 14h43

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

It's important you make some pause each 2 hours of computer ...
With FreeTrack your head and your eyes move all the time ... If you don't do that you will be tired ...

From time to time i get a feeling in my stomach like that when i am in a car and try to read when someone else is driving.

This sickness really makes me feel really uncomfortable even long after i stopped playing, lasts about an hour untill it gets better. Its not to the point that i have to vomit but its annoying :(

I have this kind of feeling too when i do to many time computer, specialy when freetrack game profile is not good (and after a long time of play : 2 hours) ...
Edited by babasior on 09/03/2008 at 14h44.
BlindVision #10 09/03/2008 - 21h49

Registered on : 13/02/2008

Off line Www

usr @ 09/03/2008 - 13h08 a dit:

you might feel a little confused in real world traffic after your first few sessions with freetrack, when you first realize that a small movement of the head won't make you see what's behind you. (happened to me)

and i was looking for away to make a profile for my real car (STUPID ME).
-Check rember to hold breaks, or pauses.
support FREETRACK developers, the do it FREE for you -HELP them/yourself help others.
-another fun DIY thing to do, works with Free-Track too, HAVE A LOOK
DI_port #11 05/04/2008 - 21h37

Registered on : 03/04/2008

Off line

Speaking of sickness, do those wires going on top of my head, have any negative impact? Any EM fields i should worry about, like when using a cellphone? Or are voltages and currents too low for any (serious) effect.

Just wondering...
didja #12 06/04/2008 - 11h46

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

I don't think so... ^^
That just the same when you wear earphones :) .

Rémy
Posted Image
eddie_brunette #13 11/04/2008 - 06h55

Registered on : 10/04/2008

Off line

Also got a bit of motion sicknes(the first time in my life) last night!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D
fatboy #14 17/05/2008 - 23h07

Registered on : 14/05/2008

Off line

DI_port, there is SO much EMF in the air all around the world that in any place which is dependant on electricity, if the EMF were colored red you wouldn't be able to see your own hand in front of you until it contacted your eye.  So I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. :D

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).