FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Freetrack and Fraps, (and a few questions)
Tretboot #1 25/02/2008 - 01h35

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 25/02/2008

Off line

First i have to say "wow!" Thanks for this great piece of software, stumbled across it by pure chance and it makes the games a lot more fun (once you get used to it *g*).

What i just noticed: I wanted to make a video with fraps how playing with Free-Track looks and i noticed, when i record i only get 22-23 Frames, regardless of my fraps and game settings. I guess its the "fault" of the 3d Head, cause its the exact same framerate the head has, and sadly my webcam has (gonna have to get a new nice one with a wide angle). So it would be good i think if you can turn off the 3d Preview in version 2.2

And i was wondering if support for some games will be improved. The Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 is now only supported with tir_attack and sadly i can only use 2DOF while the Game can do more. There is this nice Mod called Over Flanders Fields for it, i would love to lean out of my Plane etc. But still with 2DOF its a lot fun :) Also some other games also have only 2DOF while with TrackIR they have more.

Also, would it be possible to add in an option for the Webcam position? I have a big old 21" CRT and the webcam is on top of it, so it does not always react perfectly, when zooming in also duck a bit down in the game etc. Maybe it would be possible to compensate for that when you can set the cam position?

And thanks again for this nice free piece of software! Keep up the good work!
Kestrel #2 25/02/2008 - 03h29

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Tretboot @ 25/02/2008 - 02h35 a dit:

What i just noticed: I wanted to make a video with fraps how playing with Free-Track looks and i noticed, when i record i only get 22-23 Frames, regardless of my fraps and game settings. I guess its the "fault" of the 3d Head, cause its the exact same framerate the head has, and sadly my webcam has (gonna have to get a new nice one with a wide angle). So it would be good i think if you can turn off the 3d Preview in version 2.2

When FT is minimized the 3d preview is completely destroyed so it can't be involved in your problem. Make sure the "Average webcam FPS" setting in the Global section is set to your actual webcam fps. FT outputs around 120fps for the virtual camera using interpolation, the actual display frame rate should be hardware dependent. Some webcams use more than their fair share of cpu, combined with fraps and the cpu dependent IL2 you have a recipe for low fps on older hardware.

And i was wondering if support for some games will be improved.

The next version will be able to 100% support ALL TIR enabled games.

Also, would it be possible to add in an option for the Webcam position? I have a big old 21" CRT and the webcam is on top of it, so it does not always react perfectly, when zooming in also duck a bit down in the game etc. Maybe it would be possible to compensate for that when you can set the cam position?

It was wishlisted and is fairly straightforward so it will probably make its way into the next version.
Tretboot #3 25/02/2008 - 17h42

Off line

Older hardware was not the problem, i have a nice Q6600 and a 8800GT, but you were right, its not Freetrack, a reboot solved the problem and Fraps does 30fps now recording, should have tried that before bothering you...

The next version will be able to 100% support ALL TIR enabled games.

Wow! That is great! Can't wait for it to come out then :)

It was wishlisted and is fairly straightforward so it will probably make its way into the next version.

Also great! And all that for free! You really rock! I was also wondering if it would be possible to use tracking from the side and put on the Cap sidewards, but i guess thats more difficult as all the movements translate rather strange then, but it would allow me (and maybe some others) a better placement of the cam. But just being able to set the height is great too. I heard you can also put the cam behind you and inverse the axis, but my monitor would be in the picture, and its a CRT so even with IR Filter removal and all i guess it will still be a problem. On the other hand, when i can set the cam far behind me and aim it up or down with the option to compensate for that so my Monitor won't be in the screen... Well, finding the perfect setup and settings is not an easy task, but its fun and amazing how much you can do with a 5 year old webcam and some LEDs!
Kestrel #4 27/02/2008 - 00h59

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Tretboot @ 25/02/2008 - 18h42 a dit:

I heard you can also put the cam behind you and inverse the axis, but my monitor would be in the picture, and its a CRT so even with IR Filter removal and all i guess it will still be a problem.

CRTs don't give off IR so it's not a problem.
Tretboot #5 27/02/2008 - 12h00

Off line

CRTs don't give off IR so it's not a problem.

Oh really? Thats good to know! Right now i only use some red LEDs i salvaged out of some Safety wear arm thingy that should keep you visible at night. Works very well so far without IR Filter removal and all. First step will be getting a better Webcam now, as this old Creative (i think its a Webcam3) only gives me 22-23 frames (but its still very smoth in game) and has a pretty narrow angle. So i am gonna shop for some newer 30fps wide angle cam and maybe later some IR Leds to perfect the setup.

And thanks for your time answering my questions, awesome support for a free software, you really should get a donation thing going. I don't have that much (always invest in hardware and just lost my job), but i can sure spare a few $ and i think a lot of happy users would like to support you too.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).