FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  VX1000 jitter same as fps...
least #1 25/01/2008 - 10h01

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 25/01/2008

Off line

Hello,
first of all I'd like to thank to developers of this tool - it is absolutely amazing...
I'd like to ask one question - I'm using M$ VX1000 camera, removed IR filter, set everything
according to hints on this forum (turned off white balance, auto exposure, auto usb bandwidth, flicker
reduction...), 3point cap,  and I'm getting quite stable >28 FPS; what bothers me is, that I get jitter
values as high (and sometimes even higher) as fps... Despitee of this, all the games seem to utilize
freetrack just fine, no jumpy or jittery motion... Does anyone experience this too?
Thanks...
(My specs: Athlon 2800XP+, 1GB, NForce2, NV6600)
RomD #2 29/01/2008 - 22h55

Registered on : 04/01/2008

Off line

Same here. Sometimes I get very high jitter up to 30, sometimes i have 0 jitter.
Like in your case it runs smoothly when I'm playing a game. I read something about the FPS not being controlled when FreeTrack isn't minimized, so maybe it has something to do with that.
least #3 30/01/2008 - 21h21

Registered on : 25/01/2008

Off line

Thanks for the reply, now I know I'm not the only one with this weird behavior... You are right, freetrack itself could cause this effect.
Funny thing is, that webcam I was using before (Logitech quickcam connect) had higher CPU usage, but jitter was mostly lower than 10...
Kestrel #4 31/01/2008 - 01h10

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

When FT is maximized the frame rate is raw, straight from the camera, when minimized it is strictly controlled. Jitter only measures the number of early/late frames (+/15%) but not HOW early/late. If they are only slightly out of sync then FT, when minimized, can manage it but if they're completely out of sync then it will most likely affect the tracking quality. So the jitter measurement is just a guide for potential jitter, for the webcams I tested it was a good indication that flicker reduction was active and interferring with the frame rate, but some people report better results with flicker reduction active... so it's all very webcam specific.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).