FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  FreeTrack hardware for sale, Components for building FreeTrack Headware
empf #1 04/08/2007 - 11h27

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 19/07/2007

Off line Mail

Hi all,

After getting a bit tired when hunting components for FreeTrack from different sources, I think it might be a good idea to order a batch of these components and send them to those who are interested in building the hardware.

I have constructed a following kit for 4-point Headware:
Steel frame
4 infrared LEDs
4 resistors
Battery pack for 2 AA batteries
On-Off switch
Red electric wire
Black electric wire
Shrink tubing Ø 2mm
Shrink tubing Ø 6mm
A piece of film negative for web camera
Posted Image

Using these components, the ready-built Headware looks something like this:
Posted Image

Also 3-point clip kit including:

Steel wire for frame
Clip
3 infrared LEDs
3 resistors
Battery pack for 2 AA batteries
On-Off switch
Red electric wire
Black electric wire
Shrink tubing Ø 2mm
Shrink tubing Ø 6mm
A piece of film negative for web camera

Built 3-point clip Headware called "Black eagle"
Posted Image

Ready-built headware also available.

If you need only some components and not the whole kit, feel free to ask.

Please post your message here or send me email if you are interested in getting these components or Headware. Email is wingm@jippii.fi
If you have any comments or suggestions related to this, please post your message here or email me.
Edited by empf on 24/08/2007 at 20h14.
Rein #2 12/08/2007 - 15h50

Registered on : 05/08/2007

Off line

Received it yesterday. Works perfect! Only thing I can think of as an improvement is a simple on/off switch. I've made myself one so that I don't have to (dis)connect the batteries everytime. Thanks man : D
ECV56_FOXONE #3 22/08/2007 - 13h24

Registered on : 22/08/2007

Off line

Received Today works fine, but the movement have a delay , I think that is my webcam, researching now.

THX a lot empf
Kestrel #4 22/08/2007 - 13h44

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

ECV56_FOXONE @ 22/08/2007 - 15h24 a dit:

Received Today works fine, but the movement have a delay , I think that is my webcam, researching now.

Try turning off auto exposure and reducing the exposure to ensure your webcam is operating at max fps (30 or more). Also turn off your webcam's anti-flicker (interferes with frame rate) and try reducing the Average value in Freetrack as well as the floating deadzones.
ECV56_FOXONE #5 22/08/2007 - 18h55

Registered on : 22/08/2007

Off line

NO my problem was solved with the filter for vertical bars on download page, thx pals, this program rules, I have Track Soft and Hard for 19 euros!!!!
Warlock #6 23/08/2007 - 11h35

Registered on : 23/08/2007

Off line

Just want to share my experience. Ordered a few days ago friendly emails explaining everything.

I received a clear manual on assembly via email although I haven’t had a chance to build the kit yet.

Components kit was well packaged and labeled. I received the item to the UK in 1 day from Finland, Fantastic.

Extremely nice guy hope he does well and I urge you to buy if you’re considering.

Cheers

Barry (Warlock)
Uther #7 27/08/2007 - 12h28

Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

Can you give the cost of the black eagle set up please?
Uther #8 06/09/2007 - 15h04

Off line

Black #eagle clip received today,very well packaged and built.Excellent product and recommended.
Thanks Esa!
tankbuster #9 06/09/2007 - 20h50

Class : Habitué

Off line

Received my ready built 4 led kit yesterday. Works like a charm. Thanks Esa
sf4JC #10 10/09/2007 - 15h53

Registered on : 10/09/2007

Off line

Hello, and THANK YOU so much for providing this extended service.

I kinda want to know and thought it would be nice to have others know also if they look through this thread....

1)  Do you or anyone know what the battery life is in your configuration?  Would it be better or worse to go the route of rechargeables?

2)  Would using rechargeable batteries change the configuration any?

Thanks Again for doing this service!

sf4JC
Edited by sf4JC on 13/09/2007 at 16h20.
Modo #11 16/09/2007 - 14h00

Off line

Hello all. first post and what a system.

Thanks Esa for the completed unit.

Very quick delivery, great communication and well engineered.  Didn't take long to set up after I had sorted out camera (will post details in other thread).

Works a treat in FS2004 (virtual cockpit mode), just got to adjust settings and sensitivities to get the best possible efficiency.

I would recommend Esa's service to anyone who doesn't have the time (my case), or technical know how to build the unit, well done friend.

Esa, i'm sure that you have seen the other thread from the guy who has developed the plastic framework for the LEDs.  Maybe a MkII version?

Regards

Modo
Aka Roger H
empf #12 17/09/2007 - 17h58

Off line Mail

sf4JC @ 10/09/2007 - 17h53 a dit:

Hello, and THANK YOU so much for providing this extended service.

I kinda want to know and thought it would be nice to have others know also if they look through this thread....

1)  Do you or anyone know what the battery life is in your configuration?  Would it be better or worse to go the route of rechargeables?

2)  Would using rechargeable batteries change the configuration any?

Thanks Again for doing this service!

sf4JC

Hi!

And thanks for your comments!

Here are the answers to your questions:

The current in the circuit is about 20mA per LED. This means that 2000mAh batteries will last more than 20 hours, somewhere between 20-35 hours. However, batteries are different and it is not possible to estimate a good figure for all the battery types. In all cases I expect battery life will be more than 10 hours.

Chargeable batteries have little less voltage (around 1.2V) than "usual" ones. Therefore LEDs are dimmer if chargeable batteries are used. The solution to this is to use different resistors when building the unit. Unfortunately it is not possible to change resistors without breaking the unit.

I would like to suggest you test the unit with rechargeable batteries. If the camera sees the LEDs well , they can be used with no changes to the system. FreeTrack is an excellent software, as it allows the camera sensitivity adjustment "on the fly", and this feature may be used also in this case.

Personally I have not (yet!) tested units with chargeable batteries. However, I have used wireless Nintendo Wii sensor bar (which has IR LEDs in it) with chargeable batteries. In this case there was no problems with the brightness.
empf #13 17/09/2007 - 18h33

Off line Mail

Modo @ 16/09/2007 - 16h00 a dit:

Esa, i'm sure that you have seen the other thread from the guy who has developed the plastic framework for the LEDs.  Maybe a MkII version?

Regards

Modo
Aka Roger H

Hi Roger!

And thank you for your comments! I'll try to improve the system over time and your feedback is invaluable.

Yes, I have seen the pictures and they look really cool. I am sure with that kind of desing FreeTrack will beat TrackIR in future!

What led me to this construction? I have now about 5 different prototypes lying on my desk (4 LED versions) and  I use them to myself. Most of them are, well, not really beautiful (actually, they look terrible) but are working and I use them myself. First model I built was made of plastic. I had also a piece of acrylic plastic in stock and made a initial frame building with that. However, it looked too big for nice mailing. The problem with plastic is also that it requires suitable tools and production requires a big batch of units to be purchased to be reasonably cheap. Otherwise plastic is an ideal material for this kind of product.

The unit design is based on the original "the Target" desing with some adjustments. One of the main goals of the design is to keep the costs down to share the joy of "FreeTracking". The current design is small and light (easy and cheap to mail). Those who have the 4-LED model know that it is sent in a "flat" configuration (frame needs to be twisted to an "operating condition"), which allows mailing in a small envelope. Also the use of metallic frame makes it possible to use the frame as a "ground" for electricity and there is no need for a negative electric wire in the structure. This makes unit building little bit easier.
sf4JC #14 20/09/2007 - 19h52

Registered on : 10/09/2007

Off line

Thanks for the info empf, and I'll probably try the rechargable ones like you said and see how they work and how efficiently as well.

sf4JC
Bjorn #15 02/10/2007 - 11h16

Registered on : 01/10/2007

Off line

Hi empf!

Are you still in the Freetrack hardware business? If not ill have to track down the components myself..

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).