FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Limited to 13 fps
Dreeew #1 23/12/2007 - 10h08

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 23/12/2007

Off line

Hello,

First of all I'd like to say thanks for the software guys, it's just incredible how much it improves the game. I'm using it for more than one month now and will never be able to play without it anymore  :)
I just have a question. With my Philips camera I only have 13 FPS in Freetrack. This value is rock stable and never moves so I guess it's not a perfrormance but a configuration problem. My webcam is configured to work in 30FPS and all image-enhancements are turned off.
So, in Freetrack I always have : FPS 13 Jitter 14 and a "! CPU" sign (what does it mean?)

Thanks in advance
Dreeew #2 23/12/2007 - 11h43

Off line

Still 13 FPS/14 Jitter/! CPU with ANY Webcam Settings  :wacko:
babasior #3 23/12/2007 - 11h58

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Hi,

Have you made a fresh install of your webcam drivers (and have you think to disable fluorescente light 50 hz - 60 hz, your frame rate will be better and better without this ! )

Have you last directx 9.0C release (november release ...) ?

It's very important to set interpolation values with exactly the same values as your cam tab webcam fps values...

If frame rate is slow : try to change stream compressor to i420 and resolution to 160 x 120 ... (default and best tracking resolution is 320 x 240)

Try to reduce quality number if possible ...

try to disable all camera (webcam) auto box ...

use force exposure button ...

don't forget to close webcam application like MSN live messenger for example ...
Edited by babasior on 23/12/2007 at 12h05.
Dreeew #4 23/12/2007 - 12h23

Off line

Hi

All enhancements options are disabled in the driver. And by the way I tryied all options avaible and never get higher than 13 FPS. The resolution doesnt change anything unfortunately - still getting 13 FPS in 160x120.
No image in I420 and STILL 13 fps  :huh:
Even when I force exposure in driver and/or freetrack to minimum I'm getting black image and same fps.

Guess it's a driver issue, gonna try to reinstall it.

Do you know what the " ! CPU " icon in the "Cam" section of Freetrack means?

Oh, forgot to mention : no antivirus, firewall disabled, all applications closed
Edited by Dreeew on 23/12/2007 at 12h25.
Dreeew #5 23/12/2007 - 13h33

Off line

No changes after a driver reinstall.

Now trying to watch the webcam stream in VLC player. Here is the information I'm getting in VLC about the stream:

-Codec I420
-Resolution 160x120
-30FPS

So I420 is the native codec?

When I try to set I420 in Freetrack I get one image, than nothing (black) - looks like it's taking a photo. Still 13 fps though.

Guess I'm asking too much from the cam?
Edited by Dreeew on 23/12/2007 at 13h33.
Deimos #6 23/12/2007 - 14h49

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 07/11/2007

Off line

And did you reduce the exposure?
Click the "camera" button in freetrack, and look around menus if there is a slider named "exposure". It will be grayed out if "auto" or "auto exposure" checkbox is checked, so make sure that it isn't. Then move the slider all the way to the left and see if it helps. Actually you can still get 30FPS with exposures up to 1/33s so if the LEDs aren't visible enough you can increase exposure up to that level.

Here's how exposure setting window looks like in most cameras i've seen:
Exposure settings dialog
Dreeew #7 23/12/2007 - 15h29

Off line

Deimos @ 23/12/2007 - 15h49 a dit:

And did you reduce the exposure?
Click the "camera" button in freetrack, and look around menus if there is a slider named "exposure". It will be grayed out if "auto" or "auto exposure" checkbox is checked, so make sure that it isn't. Then move the slider all the way to the left and see if it helps. Actually you can still get 30FPS with exposures up to 1/33s so if the LEDs aren't visible enough you can increase exposure up to that level.

Here's how exposure setting window looks like in most cameras i've seen:
Exposure settings dialog

Hi, thanks for input

Yes I have an exposure control slider, but even pushed all the way left still getting the same fps (the image gets darker so it works).
Well after all it's not a that big problem. In game head movements arent very smooth but not a big deal. Maybe I'll buy another webcam later. Can you recommend one that works 100%? Thanks
Dreeew #8 23/12/2007 - 15h38

Off line

Another idea.
If I get it right the "fluo 50/60 Hz light" feature cuts down the FPS by 2.
13FPS is roughly the half of 30. Guess the driver doesnt ever manage to disable the feature. Maybe it's hardcoded, dont know.

BTW, Freetrack allways set the camera driver white balance to "interior" is it normal?
Edited by Dreeew on 23/12/2007 at 15h40.
Deimos #9 23/12/2007 - 16h46

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 07/11/2007

Off line

One more thing - doesn't your camera driver have some night mode, or low light boost option? this might cause problems too if enabled.

For compatible webcams, check the sticky tread in this subforum (Webcam compatibility guide), or here:
http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/webcam.php

Or even better, if you want to buy w ner webcam ONLY for freetrack, check out the IR modification guides here:
http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/webcam_filter_removal.php
And pick up some camera that is confirmed to be moddable, and do the modification - it works WAY better than stock camera with IR filter, even in brightly illuminated room (both daylight and artificial light), plys you don't see IR light, so LED light reflecting of the monitor won't distract you, and you don't look as silly as with visibly glowing LEDs on your head ;)
Dreeew #10 23/12/2007 - 17h06

Off line

Deimos @ 23/12/2007 - 17h46 a dit:

One more thing - doesn't your camera driver have some night mode, or low light boost option? this might cause problems too if enabled.

For compatible webcams, check the sticky tread in this subforum (Webcam compatibility guide), or here:
http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/webcam.php

Or even better, if you want to buy w ner webcam ONLY for freetrack, check out the IR modification guides here:
http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/webcam_filter_removal.php
And pick up some camera that is confirmed to be moddable, and do the modification - it works WAY better than stock camera with IR filter, even in brightly illuminated room (both daylight and artificial light), plys you don't see IR light, so LED light reflecting of the monitor won't distract you, and you don't look as silly as with visibly glowing LEDs on your head ;)

Thanks for the links, especially the 2nd one. Great information!

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).