FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  experience using freetrack
aledmb #1 16/12/2007 - 20h17

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 16/12/2007

Off line

hi,

firstly, i want to thank the developers of FreeTrack for their great software!

i'm posting this because of some issues i had to get the camera, the leds, freetrack and the game to work as i expected. here are some things you should watch for:

for the camera:
1) disable "auto exposure" and set "exposure" to the minimum level;
2) make sure the camera is not set to "outdoor mode";
3) set the camera to capture at "30 fps", or more;  :D
4) use "i420" as the "color space / compression" setting (RGB mode tends to crash when the camera captures too much light);

for the leds:
1) use bright red leds, as they produce more light;
2) if you go with infrared leds, make sure they're of good quality and test with the camera first (some of them may not recognize this range of light);

for freetrack:
1) remember to let the software know the exact measurings of the distances between your leds;
2) on the "cam" page, observe the average frame rate that the camera is capturing, and set the "interpolation / average fps" setting on the "global" page accordingly;
3) for rfactor, remember to invert the roll axis (on the "profile" page);
4) remember to disable the "auto minimize" option on the "global" page - for me, oddly, this setting was introducing a delay for the first head movement in a series as the time passed, so after 10 laps, i could not control it anymore - after disabling it and keeping the window maximized, everything is fine;

for the game:
1) try to reduce every setting you can, so the system can direct more resources to head movement processing;

maybe this could be useful to you...
francoistarlier #2 17/12/2007 - 14h25

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 16/08/2007

Off line Www

by the way The_Target, have you check this : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms784400.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787924.aspx
Might help to configure it. it tell directshow to put some function as whitebalance, contrast, brightness, gain, in automatic or not, even can set some value. any way it's not always supported by the webcam, but could work when it does !
Edited by francoistarlier on 17/12/2007 at 14h32.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).