FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > General Discussion > FreeTrack for ship motion compensation R&D.

RSS >  FreeTrack for ship motion compensation R&D., If you let me use this technology, please help.
Lano #1 07/02/2014 - 10h32

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 07/02/2014

Off line

Dear all.

My R&D project needs measuring technology like this. Motion compensating crane lifts on a ship is done with relative measurements of movements of the ship (gyros, accelerometers and electronic compasses). In my project, I need to also compensate for movements on another ship. Picture keeping a load hanging from a crane on one ship, in a constant level above the deck on the ship next to it, with sensor based hydraulic automation. This cant be done with the normal MRU (Motion Registration Unit). What I need is head tracking technology. Imagine putting the camera on one ship, and the LEDs on the other. That would give me the XYZ relations between the ships, I need. This will be done on a 1:100 scale model, so a webcam and LEDs like yours would be perfect.

I need a low range (10 - 30 cm) and high speed system.

What hardware would you suggest?

If there is a "plug and play" alternative, I would appreciate a tip. I have been looking into the TrackIR, but I believe that is like swearing in the church, in this forum.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best regards
Lano
Norway
Steph #2 07/02/2014 - 13h01

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

What I need is head tracking technology. Imagine putting the camera on one ship, and the LEDs on the other. That would give me the XYZ relations between the ships, I need.

I'm not really sure about your project.
You need at least to compensate one of the side (webcam or LED) with the movement of the ship it's on, if you want a horizon (plane) for reference.

What hardware would you suggest?

Get a PS3 Eye and three LEDs in cap configuration.
You will get 60FPS and your tracking distance is between 20-150cm
Lano #3 09/02/2014 - 09h36

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 07/02/2014

Off line

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

The active compensation for movements will all be done on one of the ships, but the control system must read movements on both ships.
If both ships move down 1 cm, there will be no compensation, but if one ship moves down 1 cm, and the other ship moves up 1 cm, there must be 2 cm compensation. The problem is to get one point, attached to one ship, stand still, compared to the other ship. No need to use the horizon for reference.

On my model I will use strong, fast and accurate servos for the active part. The "head tracking" setup will be the input for the control system, witch will calculate outputs to the servos.
Steph #4 11/02/2014 - 16h01

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Ok, I see.

If 60FPS is enough for you, try the PS3 Eye.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > General Discussion > FreeTrack for ship motion compensation R&D.

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).