FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Games and Profiles > Freetrack Places Me Outside of Plane

RSS >  Freetrack Places Me Outside of Plane, No ability to adjust position in game
dwhesser #1 17/01/2014 - 03h21

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 16/01/2014

Off line

Hi all.  Hopefully someone will have observed this issue before and can point me in the right direction.

I'm running Freetrack 2.1 (2.2 would not run) on a Windows 7 64bit OS.  I can get Freetrack to run and to track my head movements, but when I start FSX, I'm positioned outside the plane when using the Virtual Cockpit view.  I also cannot adjust the eye position in-game when Freetrack is running so I cannot reposition myself back in the cockpit.

If I switch to Cockpit View, the control panel displays, but any head movement causes the outside view to shift, but the cockpit panel to follow my head movements (unlike when using the hat control on my joystick, which shifts the view to the right, left, up or down looking outside the cockpit)

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.  I'm excited I have the Freetrack system running and tracking head movements, but I can't yet make use of the functionality in FSX.

Thanks!
Steph #2 17/01/2014 - 16h28

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

dwhesser #3 18/01/2014 - 02h34

Off line

Thanks for the reply Steph!

Ahhh, was hopeful there for a minute, but I'm running MS Flight Sim X, not X-Plane 10.

It appears that Pilot View is for X-Plane; would it work with MS FSX?
Stormrider #4 18/01/2014 - 12h29

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

I think  it is not afreetrack issue but a game setting.
I don't have that sim so I can't try it myself.

http://barelybad.com/FSX/FSXintro.htm#F9-F12
dwhesser #5 18/01/2014 - 15h25

Off line

Thanks Stormrider! I'll take a look at this sometime this weekend.

I'm still leaning toward some FT setting that I don't understand or haven't found because I can start FSX and am in the cockpit just fine.  The second I start FT tracking, I'm popped outside of the plane.

I'll investigate any option though at this point.  I'm so close yet so far.

Thanks again!
dwhesser #6 22/01/2014 - 03h22

Off line

Stormrider and Steph - thanks again for your ideas!  I think I've got it fixed for the most part.  I'll include my findings below in case they might help others.

FreeTrack 2.1 places me outside the cockpit:  I never did resolve this.  Everything else seemed to work fine, but I couldn't get my perspective into the actual cockpit of the game.  I finally gave up and decided to re-look at my issues installing FreeTrack 2.2 on Windows 7 64bit.

As it turns out, the solution for installing 2.2 on Windows 7 was simple, and something I've encountered before.  Windows 7 really does not like programs that write to the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directories.  I'm assuming that the config files stored by Free Track require write privileges to the install directory causing the launch errors.

Once I reinstalled 2.2 in a manually created directory off the root of my boot drive and not in either of the Program Files directories, 2.2 launched just fine.

So now I have Free Track 2.2 installed and running *and* it places me in the cockpit of the plane.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Cheers
Steph #7 22/01/2014 - 17h37

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Try to install and run it with admin-rights in Program Files (x86), this is what I have done in win8.
dwhesser #8 23/01/2014 - 10h58

Off line

Hey Steph,

Yeah, I had done that, or I thought I did, but it didn't seem to work.  It's possible that I got in a rush and installed it under my account (which has admin privs) and only tried to run it as Administrator.   :inn:

In any event, it's working now so I'm pretty excited.  Now to just get the settings tweaked...   Once I get it all set up and backed up I may try to reinstall again under Program Files to see if I can get it where it belongs.

Thanks!
Stormrider #9 23/01/2014 - 19h16

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

sometimes it helps to turn of UAC(user account control)

Spoilerhttps://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=B851496E0F7F23ED&resid=B851496E0F7F23ED%21139&app=Word&wdo=1

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Games and Profiles > Freetrack Places Me Outside of Plane

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).