FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack with existing TrackIR hardware

RSS >  Freetrack with existing TrackIR hardware
hexify #1 18/11/2007 - 00h35

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 18/11/2007

Off line

Is it possible to use Freetrack with the TrackIR hardware? I wanted to use 6DOF support, but I'd have to buy the addon to it.
Kestrel #2 18/11/2007 - 01h00

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Yes it is possible but I need a TrackIR4 to implement it...
darkfrog #3 26/11/2007 - 20h22

Registered on : 26/11/2007

Off line

I'm brand new here. I don't understand the answer to this question. Can the TrackClip Pro, active 3 LED setup work with Freetrack?  Or, is there someone here in the US that will make an LED setup that will take paypal?
Thanks
Kestrel #4 27/11/2007 - 00h52

Webmaster (admin)

Off line

darkfrog @ 26/11/2007 - 21h22 a dit:

I don't understand the answer to this question.

This question is about using the TrackIR camera hardware for FreeTrack instead of using a webcam.

Can the TrackClip Pro, active 3 LED setup work with Freetrack?

Yes, even though it's the most expensive 3 LED illuminator on the market. http://geocities.com/falstar2012/
darkfrog #5 27/11/2007 - 10h15

Off line

Kestrel @ 27/11/2007 - 01h52 a dit:

darkfrog @ 26/11/2007 - 21h22 a dit:

I don't understand the answer to this question.

This question is about using the TrackIR camera hardware for FreeTrack instead of using a webcam.

Sorry, I didn't think anyone would waste money on a TrackIR camera with Freetrack allowing the use of cheap webcams. I guess I assumed hexify was asking the same hardware I was, about the clip I mentioned below

darkfrog a dit:

Can the TrackClip Pro, active 3 LED setup work with Freetrack?

Kestrel a dit:

Yes, even though it's the most expensive 3 LED illuminator on the market. http://geocities.com/falstar2012/

Expensive, but not very expensive and doesn't require any assembly, soldering or calculations for us that aren't as technically inclined. Also, here in the US, the wide angle LEDs are not easy or cheap to come by.  If I can use the narrow angle LEDs, making my own would be no problem, but as I pointed out in another post, one place that has the Osram/Sylvania LEDs tacks on a $15 handling charge for even an minimum number of 5 LEDs, bringing the total to $20, half the price of the Trackclip Pro, add in the sunglass clip, perf board, USB cable, etc., it no longer is a cheap build.

My biggest concern is that the Trackclip Pro doesn't have the LEDs lined up completely vertical. The middle one is off-center. Will this be a problem in Freetrack setup? If so, what needs to be done as a work-around?

BTW, that link was nice. I looked around for something like that earlier and didn't find it. Maybe we can make a sticky in the English section for all building projects/ideas, including that one made from a Cateye bicycle light.
Kestrel #6 27/11/2007 - 12h03

Webmaster (admin)

Off line

darkfrog @ 27/11/2007 - 11h15 a dit:

Sorry, I didn't think anyone would waste money on a TrackIR camera with Freetrack allowing the use of cheap webcams. I guess I assumed hexify was asking the same hardware I was, about the clip I mentioned below

Some people have older, less capable TIR models and would like to be able to use them with all the features in FreeTrack that are not available in their software. TIR cameras have high frame rate and low cpu usage compared with an ordinary webcam, so obviously they don't want to waste these capabilities and have to fork out for a webcam while their TIR goes to waste.

It would also give all TIR users an open-source alternative to their TrackIR software...

My biggest concern is that the Trackclip Pro doesn't have the LEDs lined up completely vertical. The middle one is off-center. Will this be a problem in Freetrack setup? If so, what needs to be done as a work-around?

The leds don't need to be vertically aligned, 3 points in 3d space are always coplanar (belong to a 2d plane), I haven't tested a TrackClip Pro myself but numerous users report success.

BTW, that link was nice. I looked around for something like that earlier and didn't find it. Maybe we can make a sticky in the English section for all building projects/ideas, including that one made from a Cateye bicycle light.

It's a good idea but I don't have control of the website and the webmaster is busy...
darkfrog #7 27/11/2007 - 17h28

Off line

Kestrel @ 27/11/2007 - 13h03 a dit:

The leds don't need to be vertically aligned, 3 points in 3d space are always coplanar (belong to a 2d plane), I haven't tested a TrackClip Pro myself but numerous users report success..

Thank you. That was the exact information that I had been looking for but could not find.
I might have found a place in the states I can get the wide angle LEDs for cheaper, so I still might try to build my own, but it's nice to know I have an option for only $40.
I did not know the TrackIR camera was faster or better in any way than a good web cam. I wonder how it stacks up to the newer (more expensive) faster shutter speed webcams.
didja #8 27/11/2007 - 18h15

Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

It's a good idea but I don't have control of the website and the webmaster is busy...

Hi ! :)

As a moderator, you are able to create a new post then make it a stiky.

Because of my poor english, I think I'm not able to create such a post, but if someone do it, it will be a pleasure to make it a stiky then! :)

Better, a "new" could be posted on the home page ! :)

Rémy
Posted Image
hexify #9 29/11/2007 - 20h36

Registered on : 18/11/2007

Off line

darkfrog @ 27/11/2007 - 11h15 a dit:

Some people have older, less capable TIR models and would like to be able to use them with all the features in FreeTrack that are not available in their software. TIR cameras have high frame rate and low cpu usage compared with an ordinary webcam, so obviously they don't want to waste these capabilities and have to fork out for a webcam while their TIR goes to waste.

It would also give all TIR users an open-source alternative to their TrackIR software...

Yes, that was what I meant. I have the TIR3 model, and didn't want to spend the $30 for the 6DOF addon. Plus, I don't really like the software they have to use it, and I think open-source is the right way.

I think within a short while, FreeTrack will be as good or even better than TIR!
Paperinik #10 29/11/2007 - 23h15

Registered on : 02/10/2007

Off line

Kestrel @ 18/11/2007 - 02h00 a dit:

Do you think TrackIr is just a fast camera like an expensive webcam?
My feel is that some track algorithm are managed by hardware.

I tried TrackIr on my Pc. There are no CPU use difference between system idle and TrackIr on.

Using FreeTrack my CPU work raise from 3-4%in idle to 12-13% .
Kestrel #11 30/11/2007 - 00h47

Webmaster (admin)

Off line

Paperinik @ 30/11/2007 - 00h15 a dit:

Do you think TrackIr is just a fast camera like an expensive webcam?
My feel is that some track algorithm are managed by hardware.

The TIR unit processes the video stream and only sends the point coordinates to the computer, saving cpu resources. The computer runs an efficient tracking algorithm, turning the point coordinates into a head position estimate.
Pvt_Parts #12 09/01/2008 - 06h48

Registered on : 09/01/2008

Off line

Kestrel @ 18/11/2007 - 02h00 a dit:

By this do you mean that you need the Track IR hardware in order to code the implementation. Depending on where you are I may be able to help in that regard.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack with existing TrackIR hardware

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).