FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  freetrack2.1 feedback
tankbuster #1 05/10/2007 - 11h21

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

Overall, I'm really pleased with this, so here's a few thoughts. Note that some of this might be down to the fact I've recently hacked the filters in my MS VX 1000. I did it the same time I really tried 2.1 so I can't say what has caused what.

The application minimizes itself after a while. Nice feature, but sometimes I'd rather it didn't do it.

To get good results, the threshold slider has to be much further to the right than it was before, almost 2/3rds of the way across.

Performance in Armed Assault is much improved with smoother movement, but I don't know how much of that is down to the new included ArmA profile.

Using RGB24 , I can now get 30 FPS and after a while, jitter goes to zero.
Using I240, odd stuff happens. Still 30 FPS, but the dots in the cam view tab jump around a bit. The preview skull moves smoothly and in game, it's OK, but the dots shiver and shake quite a bit. Also, the jitter readout never goes below 20.

Something else, I use FRAPS and the fraps frame counter appears in the skull screen. If I start to record video, the dot shaking becomes all smooth.

What is jitter and how do we reduce it? Also, under the jitter readout, it says "SSE2". Does that mean anything?

What would be really cool is if movement in the Y axis could make the Arma character go prone, kneel and stand. Who could make that happen? Freetrack or ArmA programmers?

Forgot to say, I'm using a 4 point cap. :)
Edited by tankbuster on 05/10/2007 at 11h31.
tankbuster #2 05/10/2007 - 11h44

Off line

tankbuster @ 05/10/2007 - 11h21 a dit:

The application minimizes itself after a while. Nice feature, but sometimes I'd rather it didn't do it.

Aha. I found the option. Nice one. I also see that you can start and stop the capture by right clicking the tray icon. Cool.
Uther #3 05/10/2007 - 12h14

Class : Apprenti

Off line

My FPS are down from 15 to 3 after I installed 2.1! Either some setting has changed (can't see anything different) or it does not agree with my cam.Maybe I will try a re install of my cam and see if that helps.
tankbuster #4 05/10/2007 - 12h19

Off line

I did have a massive crash the first time I ran 2.1. The screen filled up with requesters saying some error had occured. The application then crashed but since then, it's been fine.
zaelu #5 05/10/2007 - 16h07

Registered on : 29/09/2007

Off line

I  installed the 2.1 version over the 2.0 and I had small freezez in the program all over. Also the sensitivity curves for the axes were completly changed.

I had to remove it and reinstall 2.0. I don't know... I didn't use it for very long time but, 2.0 gave me the impression of "naturaly" but, in 2.1 I had to fight over and with extremly poor results. It remind me of the first experience with freelook years ago (when I quit trying).

Maybe is all in the settings and profiles (in which I am not an expert) but the stutters (small freezes at 5-10 seconds) were big issues.

My question is... will 2.0 work side by side with 2.1 if I install them in different folders? I don't mind reregister the dll at every start (I used to do it constantly for "newview" between versions 0.26 and 0.33). I would further test 2.1 this way if no interaction is posible between the 2.
Kestrel #6 05/10/2007 - 17h35

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

tankbuster @ 05/10/2007 - 13h21 a dit:

It minimizes after 20 seconds of being in the background or when a head tracking enabled game is started.

To get good results, the threshold slider has to be much further to the right than it was before, almost 2/3rds of the way across.

Because you removed your webcam's IR filter.

What is jitter and how do we reduce it?

The frame rate only indicates the average frame rate per second, so gives no indication of variability, the jitter measurement counts the number of times the frame rate exceeds +/-15% of the average, in a second, . Ideally you want a consistent frame rate, with a jitter of zero.

Turning off the webcam's 50Hz/60Hz anti-flicker reduces jitter substantially (high exposure also causes jitter).

Also, under the jitter readout, it says "SSE2". Does that mean anything?

It indicates Freetrack has detected a SSE2 enabled cpu and is using the SSE2 filter (as opposed to MMX).

What would be really cool is if movement in the Y axis could make the Arma character go prone, kneel and stand. Who could make that happen? Freetrack or ArmA programmers?

You can try using the Key Output option and mapping the keys associated with increasing and decreasing your stance in ArmA to the Y axis.
Kestrel #7 05/10/2007 - 17h44

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

zaelu @ 05/10/2007 - 18h07 a dit:

Also the sensitivity curves for the axes were completly changed.

True.

stutters (small freezes at 5-10 seconds)

Need more details; in the 3d preview? in-game? both?

If you select the demo video as your source and play it, do you get these freezes?

My question is... will 2.0 work side by side with 2.1 if I install them in different folders?

I've got them both installed. v2.0 will use the v2.1 filter (which has a cross).

Seems to work ok.
sf4JC #8 06/10/2007 - 03h11

Registered on : 10/09/2007

Off line

First of all, a BIG THANKS to the programmers for FreeTrack allowing to override the webcam.  I am a new user of the program and before v2.1, I was spending a day trying to figure out how to set up my Logitech Quickcam IM.  Man was it torture, and when I thought I knew what settings to use, they would change.

But now with v2.1, all is well {heavy sigh of relief}.  I have only gotten into FSX once so far, but from what I've experienced, it's going to be a enjoyable ride.

THANKS to all that have made this possible!

sf4JC
einsena #9 06/10/2007 - 07h02

Off line

great program!  :D

it works as fine as if not better then 2.0, it's just a little different (because of the added features and all).

it seems that 2.1 have more advance settings that can be manipulated by users, things like force exposure and output, FS2004 and FSX native support! they are most welcome for me  :D

the keys function now works great, global settings has also been improved, and of course last but not least the 3 Point Cap!!!

the sensitivity seems lower in 2.1 but, it's nothing that can't be fixed with a little profile adjustment  B)

I see lots of people are kinda having some problem with 2.1 here, because it's kinda different from 2.0 and well, it's new. but I'm quite sure that they will grow more comfortable of it soon.

overall
I've nothing to complain about  (coz it's free and it works sooo good  :D )
if anything I'm very much grateful to all the programmers, admins, mods, etc like the-target, Kestrel, Poncho, Babasior, Didja,  and last but not least tristan68. people that has dedicated their time, effort, and strength to make and improve freetrack!

Freetrack 2.1 is a complete update of product, complete with updated and improved documentations, customization and performance! very impressive, good job guys!
Edited by einsena on 06/10/2007 at 07h18.
zaelu #10 06/10/2007 - 17h58

Registered on : 29/09/2007

Off line

If I select the demomovie it sais file not found...

In game and in desktop I got freezes and stutters.

The default movememnt of the skull is completly erratic. I know you have to tweak it... but the 2.0 one worked quite great from the box.

I installed them in sepparate directories but the 2.0 was again infuenced by 2.1... stutters all over and the cross in the dots screen and the smaller crosses on the dots are present in 2.0 also.
einsena #11 06/10/2007 - 21h59

Off line

zaelu @ 06/10/2007 - 19h58 a dit:

If I select the demomovie it sais file not found...

In game and in desktop I got freezes and stutters.

The default movememnt of the skull is completly erratic. I know you have to tweak it... but the 2.0 one worked quite great from the box.

I installed them in sepparate directories but the 2.0 was again infuenced by 2.1... stutters all over and the cross in the dots screen and the smaller crosses on the dots are present in 2.0 also.

hmm I uninstalled the 2.0 version before i installed the 2.1

mine works flawlessly (not out of the box of course, requires a little bit of setting and tweaking)

but from my experience if you have an erratic skull movement sometimes the following are at fault

1. the point selection (make sure you've selected the right one for your build, 1 point, 2 points, etc)

2. over exposure and or gain

3. filter fault

hope it helps,
good luck!  :D

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).