FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > quickcam express (new) vs philips ToUCam

RSS >  quickcam express (new) vs philips ToUCam
zwiebacksaege #1 13/09/2007 - 09h02

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

because of the already discussed driver-problems with the logitech cam i tried another very old cam to bypass the time till freetrack v2.1 arrives. it was the philips ToUCam Fun (pcvc730k) which has nearly the same specs as the quickcam express on paper.
Some testing showed interesting news for me:

first of all: the philips-driver (included in XP) saves exposure and sensitivity settings.

second: the philips-cam seems to have a much better sensitivity to IR-light. i used the same filter as i used for the logitech in my test and the philips NEVER EVER lost one of my LEDs even up to ca. 70° headturning. the logitech on the opposite did it very early at about 20° headturning... especially when turning over two axes the same time. that was very frustrating in IL2-dogfights sometimes.

third: philips-driver uses about 4% system-load while cam is operating... the logitech-driver used up to 20% system-load (on my DUAL-OPTERON 165 !!!)

fourth: philips-cam doesnt need extra processes in the system to run... logitech needed up to five different services and programs in the background while running

so my very urgent tip for you: get this old ugly but very suitable philips cam if u can! im worried to have spent 20€ for the logitech while the cheap old philips works much better
Kestrel #2 13/09/2007 - 09h46

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

I have a Logitech as well with all the aforementioned issues... : a n g r y :

Mine looks like a golfball... damn... it's tempting  : d e v :

Should I use a 9 iron or a 7 wood? : d r y :
Edited by Kestrel on 13/09/2007 at 09h48.
zwiebacksaege #3 13/09/2007 - 10h48

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

the older "golfballs" seem to work better
my friend has an old logitech quickcam pro and it works the way the philips does except for the good IR-tracking

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > quickcam express (new) vs philips ToUCam

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).