FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack-installation kills GRID/DiRT

RSS >  Freetrack-installation kills GRID/DiRT, Doesnt start anymore
zrgrvsh #1 10/07/2008 - 16h55

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 10/07/2008

Off line

Hi there,
I'm new to free-track as i just bought a cam and leds ect. this week and build a first testing unit, and it workes pretty well in the freetrack-application and Future-Pinball where i tested it, but i bought the stuff to use it in grid/dirt and there seems to be a major bug.

I tested it a few times and its always the same. The games starts and runs perfectly without free-track on my system, but as soon as i install free-track (i do not have to start it, installation is enough) both games just freeze at the main loading screen/show a black screen forever.
With dirt i can at least bring up the task-manager and end the game (wich constantly uses around 24% cpu), with grid only pushing the reset-button works.
And really, as soon as i deinstall free-track, both games do again start and run perfectly.

I have no idea what could be the reason for this, but maybe do you. Its really sad, because these two games were the reason i bought all the stuff :(

/e: My system: Free-track V2.1.2, Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000 (newest driver from website), Intel Q6600, nvidia 8800gt (newest driver 175.19, just installed them to see if the older driver had been the problem), Win XP Sp2
Edited by zrgrvsh on 10/07/2008 at 17h03.
zrgrvsh #2 11/07/2008 - 13h04

Off line

Ok, i just found out that its caused by the "NPClient.dll" of Free-Track, when i rename or delete the games work fine, but free-track wont start of course.

But free-track must have worked some time with dirt/grid, at least there are videos on youtube that say so and dirt is also in the list of "compatible" games. So maybe theres an older Version of Free-Track (or just the .dll) where they still work? I found no download of old versions, maybe someone could send it to me so that i can try?
Sadly none other NPClient.dll i found via google did work for free-track.
Or maybe there will even come a bugfix? ;)
Gravata #3 12/07/2008 - 00h57

Registered on : 10/05/2008

Off line

DiRT is listed as a TrackIR compatible game, and Free-Track sholud be compatible with any TrackIR enabled game. But for some reason (bug on game or Free-Track) the game locks up with a black screen when Free-Track is installed. I've looked quite a lot for a solution and didn't find any, only  workarounds. One is to rename the NPClient.dll (or Free-Track folder) before playing, and renaming it back when you've done. This sucks, so I did a better one. Create a .reg file that kills the registry key used to locate the NPClient.dll. It sholud be: (create new text file, copy/paste the code below, save, rename from .txt to .reg)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NaturalPoint\NATURALPOINT\NPClient Location]

Create a shortcut to the reg file in the same place you have the shortcut for the game and execute it before playing.

The key is automatically restored next time you run Free-Track.

The only workaround I've found to use Free-track with DiRT (didn't tried yet with GRID) is to use GlovePIE wich can emulate TrackIR (but it's NPClient.dll do work with DiRT) to intermediate Free-Track and the game.

GlovePIE download:
http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_download

You first start Free-track and then GlovePIE with this script (copy/paste into GlovePIE):

// Capture Free-Track and emulate TrackIR with GlovePIE

FakeTrackIR.Active=True
FakeTrackIR.Yaw=RealTrackIR.Yaw
FakeTrackIR.Pitch=RealTrackIR.Pitch
FakeTrackIR.Roll=RealTrackIR.Roll
FakeTrackIR.X=RealTrackIR.X
FakeTrackIR.Y=RealTrackIR.Y
FakeTrackIR.Z=RealTrackIR.Z

// Uncomment below to check TrackIR (Free-Track) readings.
// Debug="TIR Readings... Yaw: "+RealTrackIR.Yaw+" Pitch: "+RealTrackIR.Pitch+" Roll: "+RealTrackIR.Roll+" X: "+RealTrackIR.X+" Y: "+RealTrackIR.Y+" Z: "+RealTrackIR.Z

GlovePIE will read Free-track readings and send it to the game.

Just remember to start Free-Track first and then GlovePIE.
Edited by Gravata on 12/07/2008 at 01h07.
zrgrvsh #4 12/07/2008 - 10h42

Off line

Great, thank you, with GlovePIE everything works fine :)

Maybe anyone can put that on the website/the faq, i think that would be really helpful. Thanks again :)
Z3R0B4NG #5 13/07/2008 - 15h53

Registered on : 12/06/2008

Off line

Same problem here!

GRID supports TrackIR since patch 1.2 and with 1.2 the problem appears (the youtube vids you've seen are from a workaround that worked on v1.0 and v1.1 of GRID)

Cam: MS VX-1000
WinXP SP3 32bit and Vista SP1 64bit <- both have the same problem

will try the workaround from Gravata now, thanks.

//edit:

ok tried it and after the third time it magically worked...

...so now just tell me how to do all that stuff by pressing ONE icon on the desktop and i will be happy ;-)
Edited by Z3R0B4NG on 13/07/2008 at 17h08.
Morat #6 30/09/2008 - 21h58

Registered on : 30/09/2008

Off line

This seems like quite a major issue as DiRT/GRID are two titles that really benefit from 6dof support. Is this due to be fixed in the next version of freetrack?

*EDIT*. Whoops - removed that negative comment and resolves not to post late at night after a bottle of wine :)
Edited by Morat on 02/10/2008 at 06h18.
servili007 #7 01/10/2008 - 13h18

Registered on : 21/08/2008

Off line

Holy crap guys, thanks SO much. I was losing my mind over having to keep Grid on 1.1 cause 1.2 would just sit at that screen. Codemasters forums didnt help at all, it just kept blaming my sound card which apparently isnt the problem AT ALL.

We can always hope that FT 2.2 fixes it right?
Arrowhead #8 18/10/2008 - 17h46

Registered on : 30/04/2008

Off line

I just want to know, has 2.2 fixed the issue with GRID?
benmeijer #9 18/10/2008 - 20h31

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 19/07/2008

Off line

I have DiRT and tried it with Freetrack 2.2 and have no problems / Freetrack 2.2 works in Dirt, probably it will also work in Grid.
Arrowhead #10 19/10/2008 - 16h33

Registered on : 30/04/2008

Off line

Hey, I just thought I'd let everyone know, I installed GRID myself and found that FT 2.2 works perfectly with GRID 1.2's TrackIR support now. Good stuff! So no more GlovePIE. :D

Thanks.
Anmat #11 13/04/2009 - 04h29

Registered on : 09/04/2009

Off line

Sorry to bring back to life an old thread but im having problems with grid.

Due to compatibilty issues with freetrack 2.2 and my webcam (genius eye 110 FT wont let me change the camera settings, works fine with 2.1) im forced to use 2.1.

Im trying Gravata workaround but grid still wont start. It stills locks up in the first screen with the GRID logo.What step am i missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
blueeagle69 #12 17/04/2009 - 17h33

Registered on : 15/04/2009

Off line

See my other posting here, and the fix.
It worked for me anyway, in Vista SP1.
http://forum.free-track.net//index.php?showtopic=1739

All I have to do now is build my headset model.
Anyone have an idea on a design?

I am using a Sony Eyetoy without the IR filter removed. (it sees IR without the mod).
And a piece of old floppy disc over the lense to block visible light.

I hope my other posting fixes this for you.
Link supplied, not to double-post :D
Edited by blueeagle69 on 19/04/2009 at 12h01.
6F5jedi #13 18/10/2009 - 15h03

Registered on : 18/10/2009

Off line

I youst thought of, can you rigg it to a fps game? and if so can you please send me the script? or at least tell me how to?
isilive #14 09/12/2009 - 19h33

Registered on : 14/06/2008

Off line

Jedi please open a new thread for this question - it has nothing to do with this thread.

I encountered the same problem: FT 2.1 installed and NPClient.dll here, DIRT hangs on startup with high CPU Load. (Also when FT is not started)

Installed FT 2.2 and it works fine. DIRT recognizes FT and moves Camera in Cockpit Mode (no option-setting was needed). And also no more Problem with NPCLient.dll.

Edit: Using Grid 1.2 , FT 2.2 on WinXP SP3.
Edited by isilive on 09/12/2009 at 19h36.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack-installation kills GRID/DiRT

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).