FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  My new 3 point cap setup
Volans #1 09/04/2008 - 07h16

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 14/11/2007

Off line

Salute you all, freetrackers!  :D
 Having so much informations from this forum (thanks to all contributors), I have decided to replace my old system with a new, lighter one. So, using a bit of info from here, a bit from there (for ex. zaelu's setup) and 3 hours of pleasant bricolage i did this:

Posted Image

I used : common ir leds, (sanded to become "wide spot"), an 150 ohms(i belive... :blink: ) resistor, black elastic band (for clothes), and some insulated copper wire, a small switch(turn on/off the power) and two analog audio cable(to be used as sockets for leds).
 The wire must be thick enogh to mantain his bended shape, and I use some black wire just to be more aesthetic... Power source is an common 9v battery.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Using some wire and a needle, sew the elastic band to obtain the head suport:

Posted Image

Bend and cut the copper wire to desired shape and then solder the pieces togheder:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Insert the ir diodes into their "sockets" and then glue those (I use some epoxi resin) to the copper wire support:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Using again the wire and needle, attach (sew) all of them to the elastic band: the copper frame, the 9v battery, resistors and the switch, and then make all electrical connections (I connected the leds in serial mode).

More good infos are to be found on zaelu's topic "My new 3 point tracking assembly"  http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=515  because I used a very similar approach like his (credits to him)

So, the finished product:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The setup works flawlesly with default distances, but I measured the distnces of the setup and imput them into freetrack, and works the same: very good.

In the end, a big "thank-you" to creators and developers of freetrack

Happy simming,
 Volans

Posted Image
lilpunk1302 #2 23/04/2008 - 01h47

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 07/11/2007

Off line

I like how you made a whole cap by hand, gives it a perfect fit with little room for error when putting it on.

Only thing I'm against is the fact that it just looks so geeky :/

I dunno, to me, having 3 LED's strapped to your face is odd enough, but adding a full harness, me no noes.

So final rating,

8/10

Good work, but can't see myself wearing it

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).