FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  NICE!! But a couple of ?'s
IRTed #1 15/01/2008 - 20h00

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 15/01/2008

Off line

Well, I've never donated to a project before I got it completely working.  However, since the only thing left is the cap construction, I figure it's good as functional.  Have a few pints on me mates.

I built the circuit, turned it on and waved it in front of my Eye-Toy camera and it followed all of the leds.  Of course the 'head' was going CRAZY since they were just flopping around. LOL!!

I do have a couple questions though.  Is there an IR filter in this Eye-Toy?  From what I've read ALL cams have them, however I am unable to find out if it's a 'hard' one or a 'coating'.  It's Silver,a nd came up as a D-Link camera when I loaded the XP drivers for it.

When I fired up Free-Track of course I had a 'negative red me' on the camera, so I placed a floppy in front of it, but the light will not go through the plastic??    ROFL!!!!  HAHAHA!!  Kidding guys, I placed the floppy MEDIA in front of the camera and it 'seemed' to function ok.  Since it is, should I let the IR filter thing go, or keep trying to research it.

And, I could not find those 'special' LED's so I got some Radio Shaft ones.  Still need to file those down right?

Thanks a TON!
IRTed #2 15/01/2008 - 20h52

Off line

After a LOT of reading, I found that I've got the camera for 'EYE TOY: OPERATION SPY'.  I got it as a 'bundle' and I am finding that this camera; IF I AM READING RIGHT, is already setup for IR and Night Vision.

I mean, I DID see the IR from my LED's with no mods, so maybe I need none.

I took the unit totally apart, the lens assembly is molded shut, and it's totally clear with no 'pink/red' tint.  Also, there is nothing glued to the CMOS chip...
didja #3 15/01/2008 - 20h59

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Hi ! :)

I have an EyeToy and have not removed the IR filter and it's fine... I think there is no need to remove it as long as you have a "normal" use of FT... ;)

Rémy
Posted Image
Kestrel #4 16/01/2008 - 03h17

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

IRTed @ 15/01/2008 - 21h52 a dit:

Well, I've never donated to a project before I got it completely working.

Cheers mate. I was beginning to think the button was broken.  :)

so I placed a floppy in front of it

A bit of an extreme way of getting rid of unwanted background light.  ;)

IF I AM READING RIGHT, is already setup for IR and Night Vision.

Night vision normally means IR leds are used to assist the webcam in low light but the camera still has an IR filter.

I mean, I DID see the IR from my LED's with no mods, so maybe I need none.

It's quite normal for unmodded cameras to be able to pick up some IR.

I took the unit totally apart, the lens assembly is molded shut, and it's totally clear with no 'pink/red' tint.

I think lens coatings are normally pink/red but the solid filters have a blue tint. In the case of webcams the lens assembly often looks like it's molded shut and inaccessible but a bit of prising with a sharp object almost always gets it open.
IRTed #5 17/01/2008 - 18h45

Off line

We have LAUNCH!!!!  I FOUND the IR filter also.  Since I could not find this on the web, I will post it here.

The Silver PS2 EyeToy D-Link webcam has an IR filter at the very back of the lens stack.  To take the camera apart, there are two screws under the FCC sticker, remove and pop open.  Now, turn the focus ring until the lens is fully retracted; that means closest to the INSIDE, towards the CCD.  On the focus ring there are three fins, it looks like more but only THREE matter, use a plastic screw driver to push down on one of them to pop out the focus ring.  It takes quite a push.  Now, unscrew the lens group/stack from the camera, and place on a cloth front lens down.

IMPORTANT!  Using a toothpick; wood does not scratch glass, gently pry at the back 'donut', and it will slide off.  It is GLUED on so there is no need for force.  Using a needle; tooth pick is to weak, pop out the square filter.  That's it, leave the donut off since it's only function is to hold the filter in place.

Now, how do I keep from ending up 200 feet behind my plane in FS-X?  LOL!

Thanks,
Ted
tankbuster #6 18/01/2008 - 14h04

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

IRTed @ 17/01/2008 - 18h45 a dit:

We have LAUNCH!!!!
~
~
Now, how do I keep from ending up 200 feet behind my plane in FS-X?  LOL!

Stop pulling the 'eject' handle?  :lol:
viper3two #7 21/01/2008 - 23h45

Registered on : 12/12/2007

Off line

LOL eject handle!
I had the same issue, just in the FS X profile be sure to set the Z slider down, I have mine set at 8 and it seems ok.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).