FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > How do you tell if a camera is compatible or not?

RSS >  How do you tell if a camera is compatible or not?
Murphy #1 02/10/2015 - 16h13

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 30/09/2015

Off line

My PS3 camera won't work because its the wrong type where the IR Filter can't be removed.

So I hooked up my wifes webcam and I get a funny looking black and white image when I fire up Freetrack.    The picture quality is fine when used with any other webcam software but freetrack just shows this black and white image that kind of looks like a photo negative.

Does that mean its incompatible?   I played with adjustments for an hour with no luck.   I see's my 940Nm IR leds but only if I hold them within a few inches of the camera..  otherwise they just fade out into the background noise.
Stormrider #2 02/10/2015 - 17h55

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

if the dots apear as white it means it is configured for use with ir-leds.
What you want from your webcam is that you can turn-off auto exposure and other auto functions.Sometimes you need to do the brightlight trick, without a normal light filter shine with a very bright light into the webcam, turn off auto exposure and try with a normal light filter attached if you can make your ir-dots more visible by moving the slider for exposure.
What resistor and powersource do you use?

My PS3 camera won't work because its the wrong type where the IR Filter can't be removed.

I had the same problem but found a shop who sold modifiedlenses for a ps3-eye.If you live in the uk, there are shops who sell freetrack ready ps3-eyes
http://www.trackhat.org/#!trackhat-shop/cfk4

http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/
Murphy #3 02/10/2015 - 18h03

Off line

Stormrider @ 02/10/2015 - 19h55 a dit:

if the dots apear as white it means it is configured for use with ir-leds.
What you want from your webcam is that you can turn-off auto exposure and other auto functions.Sometimes you need to do the brightlight trick, without a normal light filter shine with a very bright light into the webcam, turn off auto exposure and try with a normal light filter attached if you can make your ir-dots more visible by moving the slider for exposure.
What resistor and powersource do you use?

I'm beginning to think my wifes webcam isn't going to work then.  I tried messing with all the exposure and gain controls but the shine from the IR lights fade into the background..  The maximum distance I could get the camera to see them was only about 6 inches.. and it took almost an hour to get that.
Resistor and powersource?   My leds are powered by a D cell battery for now.. no resistor needed at this point until I hook up a real power source.
Murphy #4 02/10/2015 - 21h46

Off line

I don't think the gigaware 1.3 Mp camera from Radioshack is compatible.

No matter what I do, I can not get the 940Nm led's to show up within freetrack as anything more than small round circles when the LED is placed within 6 inches of the camera.

Tried all the settings, gain, gamma, exposure, brightness..  tried the floppy IR filter.. nothing.

The best results I got was with just the camera (no floppy filter) and adjusting the settings.  I even used my special laboratory power supply (Constant Current and Constant Voltage)  to drive the leds just a hair over what they are rated for.  The corrosponding increase in brightness did show up and make an improvement but it was only the difference betwen 6 and 7 inches or so.  Nothing useful.

So now I'm back to square 1..  got to find a cheap camera that will work.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > How do you tell if a camera is compatible or not?

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).