FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  3pts vs 4pts?
DPLUIGI #1 04/01/2008 - 06h29

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 04/01/2008

Off line

Can someone tell what is the advantage of using a 4pts marker ste-up vs a 3pts setup?

It looks like with 3pts one can achieve 6DOF tracking and I would assume that it is less work (i.e. less cpu usage) for FreeTrack to generate the tracking data.  So why one would use 4pts?

Thank for clarifying this.  Looking forward to building my first tracking system this coming week.

Donat-Pierre
tristan68 #2 04/01/2008 - 10h11

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello DPLUIGI

To make it straigth :

4pts is an obsolete design, and shouldn't be used anymore (it was the mandatory assembly type for freetrack V1, and has been replaced by the 3pts cap since V2).

It's kept in the various infos and wizard, for backward compatibility with existing hardware.

But for a new design, if you planned to build a 4dots cap, then go insted for a 3dots cap :

- same characteristics
- 1 less led
- less current (in case of parallel assembly)

cya.
DPLUIGI #3 04/01/2008 - 18h04

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 04/01/2008

Off line

Thanks for the clarification.  If I understand correctly I could still use the same 4 pts templates and drop the lower center led to make a 3pts cap.

In the program, regarding this "3pts cap" configuration it is said that the X translation is limited by model size.  What does it means?

Merci encore de votre reponse.

Cheers,
Donat-Pierre
Kestrel #4 05/01/2008 - 03h24

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

DPLUIGI @ 04/01/2008 - 19h04 a dit:

In the program, regarding this "3pts cap" configuration it is said that the X translation is limited by model size.  What does it means?

The 3 point clip looks like a vertical line of leds in the camera frame so it provides more X translation (left-right) before a led disappears off the edge of the frame compared with a 3 point cap configuration in which the leds are spread out more.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).