FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  PS3 wide-angle setting
Omegaman007 #1 30/03/2014 - 06h34

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 23/03/2014

Off line

I just pulled the IR filter out of a PS3Eye and I'd like to use the wide-angle setting since I sit close to my monitor (bad eyesight).  For the focus to be good in this mode do I have to move the lens assembly away or toward the PCB?  I've seen a post on here that states that the lens housing needs to be sanded down (closer to the PCB), but I've also seen posts elsewhere claiming the opposite.  Focusing by putting the lens between the two locations results in the smaller FOV which is not working well for me due to the close proximity of the tracker to the camera.

Thanks
Stormrider #2 30/03/2014 - 11h15

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

I can't use my ps3-eye because of the modification(also out of focus) as normal webcam.But facetracknoir doesn't have a problem with it.Maybe you can trie it first if you can get tracking working.
With my previous webcam, ms vx3000, I used a smaller cap-model.For my ps3-eye had had to make the model bigger because of tracking problems(blobs melting together)
In the image you can see the difference in size.
Posted Image
Omegaman007 #3 30/03/2014 - 21h07

Off line

Thanks for the response.

The tracking works but because I sit close to the monitor, and it's using the smaller FOV setting, I often experience loss of tracking because one of the LEDs leaves the camera viewable area.  I suppose that I need to take it apart and do some trial-and-error.  Also, I need to figure out what the focal lenth/sensor size ratio is to input into the settings as I haven't been able to explicitly locate that info.
Omegaman007 #4 31/03/2014 - 01h13

Off line

FYI,
You have to sand some of the lens mount material to get the camera back into focus.  Of course I went a little too far so I had to put some scotch tape between the mount and the PCB before I screwed it back together.
Stormrider #5 31/03/2014 - 09h28

Off line

I have send you a PM and I finally found the post,
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=3387
Omegaman007 #6 31/03/2014 - 23h53

Off line

With the focus fixed I'm now able to use the camera on the wide-angle setting so I'm no longer leaving the frame.  I also corrected my three point device by moving the rear point further rearward.  I've noticed that when I rotate my head, there's siginifcant movement in the X direction (toward the screen).  I need to try it with the clip to see if I have the same issue.  I wonder what the focal length/sensor size adjustment has on freetrack behaviour....
Stormrider #7 01/04/2014 - 09h42

Off line

I've noticed that when I rotate my head, there's siginifcant movement in the X direction (toward the screen)

this can be caused by wrong dimension input, or to little deadzone.With freetrack and facetracknoir you can disable axis.If you you just enable one axis(movement)at a time and make the curve right for the movement you want .If you just adjust one axis at the time you don't have the interference of the other axis(movements)Your leds have a maximum viewing angle of 40 degrees to the left or right ect.If you make 30 degrees headmovement the max, just to keep in the viewing angle of the leds.In my curves you see with 30 degrees headmovement(yaw) in game I look 180 degrees.With 15 degrees headmovement I look 70 degrees in game.For me these settings work rather good, ( with Il2-Clod)
Posted Image

In freetrack you have to fill in the dimensions where your cap or clip is on your head, just like Steph showed you hereSpoilerhttp://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=4039&page=1#19522
with ftnoir you have to use the calibrate function and move you head around (without moving your shoulders).
Edited by Stormrider on 01/04/2014 at 09h46.
Omegaman007 #8 02/04/2014 - 23h22

Off line

Thank you for the added feedback.  I have the point parameters input properly and calibration was performed.  All other axis seem to work fine, it just happens when I rotate my head.  No worries though, I will troubleshoot it some more when I have a chance with my clip 3 point.  I did notice that the 2 front LEDs are tilted a little and not on at the same height.  It's just by a millimeter or so but perhaps that's what is causing the issue.

I've actually removed deadzones and have been trying to play that way.  Not sure which I like better yet but not having deadzones makes for a more natural experience (for me).
Omegaman007 #9 11/04/2014 - 00h21

Off line

Well I had a chance to try my clip again and it's not exhibiting this issue.  It seems that I'm having much more luck with the clip version all around.  Guess I'll have to try to reposition the bottom/front two LEDs and take some measurements again....

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).