FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Followed guide exactly... LEDs too dim

RSS >  Followed guide exactly... LEDs too dim
mrdobo #1 06/11/2013 - 17h37

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 06/11/2013

Off line

Well I completed my hat/solder job exactly as Habitué's "Easy build setup with SFH485P" guide was explained, but I can't seem to get FreeTrack to pick up on the LED sources unless I'm extremely close to the camera, or the gain/contrast is turned up so high that other things in the room start to be visible.

It's odd, but it just feels like the IR LEDs are too dim or something. Doesn't make sense... I built exactly as the guide laid out. Granted that was my first solder job, so I'm somewhat suspicious that maybe I gooped too much solder on a connection or something, and maybe it's making the signal weak? I've messed with the damn program for hours now!
Stormrider #2 06/11/2013 - 18h10

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

hi,
what camera and daylight-filter do you use??
mrdobo #3 07/11/2013 - 23h24

Off line

Sorry for the late response. Had some major issues come up yesterday...

I'm using a new PS3 Eye that came in the box most people have confirmed don't have the filter, and seems to have a rounded lens, which also seems to be a sign that the IR filter isn't present.

I'm not sure what you mean by daylight-filter!

EDIT: I should also mention that I was using the setup in a room that was damn near pitch black (which I won't always be able to reproduce), and the only light present was from the monitor.
Edited by mrdobo on 07/11/2013 at 23h42.
voon #4 09/11/2013 - 10h38

Registered on : 05/11/2013

Off line

Well, daylightfilter is what you cover your cam with to block visible light other than IR light. If you do not even have this and still got dim IR leds,  then your cam has the IR filter in (or other error sources like the wrong resistors and thus weak IR emission etc).
mrdobo #5 12/11/2013 - 18h13

Off line

Somehow I completely missed that I need to get a daylight filter... so I'll get my hands on that and then give it a shot. It does sound like I may have an IR filter on, though. Not sure how that'd be with the descriptions I've seen showing which PS Eyes do and don't have the filter on. Mine shouldn't...

Thanks.
voon #6 12/11/2013 - 21h42

Registered on : 05/11/2013

Off line

I can just say this:

My PS3 eye (SHEL-00448) had a dim IR light visible when I pointed my test IR Remote against it ... visible, but fairly weak flashes from the remote.

I opened the cam, removed the filter. After that, the flashes from the remote were like supernovae :) MUCH stronger.

Also, the cam went out of focus (the glass of the filter has an effect on focus). Can be fixed with a replacement bandpass filter or glass or apparently, a piece of round shaped CD case.

My guess is your cam filters IR. Adding the daylight filter wont make this any better, just block most of the visible light out.
doveman #7 22/11/2013 - 18h38

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 09/05/2012

Off line

I really feel I should open up my PS3 Eye and remove the IR filter but I'm scared about the fact that doing so appears to make it go out of focus and thus be unusable.

I've seen some suggestions to just scrape the filtering material (red dot) off the glass it's on rather than actually remove the glass filter but I'm not sure I could do that without damaging it either.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Followed guide exactly... LEDs too dim

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).