FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  frustrated to death
CristianLuca #1 28/09/2013 - 19h58

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 28/09/2013

Off line

I never thought this piece of crap device would be so much time consuming, and frustrating to hell. I may be an impulsive person but damn this thing is hard to built right.  I used this setup: http://shop.strato.de/epages/Store4.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=41270729

I didn't modified the camera.

After spending HOURS studying the stupid thing, and HOURS building it: sowing the wires into the cap, soldering the stupid tiny resistors, burning my fingers, superglueing my fingers, it still a piece of shit of failure.

1. The stupid freetrack doesn't work in win8, I get "freetrack.exe has stopped working" everytime I click on Cam/Start. I ran it as administrator. I unistalled freetrack... nothing. I used my laptop camera which is from a laptop that is 2-3 years old.

2. The light from the leds is really low , it's not bright and can barely be seen in the dark. should it be like this ??

3. I tried facektracknoir with pointtracker 1.0. I get  6 fps and I'm guessing it's the camera because I didn't remove the ir filter. However I put the floppy disk black thing onto the camera of my laptop and it cannot detect the tiny led lights.

4. So in facetracknoir with pointtracker it detects my pointns but when I move my head left or right 5-30 degrees 1-2 points are dissapearing causing the image to reset, this has chaotic results in war thunder and it's unplayable.

What went wrong?
Stormrider #2 28/09/2013 - 20h27

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

what webcam are you using??

In win7 you have install freetrack with admin right and with compability mode winxp sp3.I think in win8 it should be done like that.

If the leds are not that bright, that can be caused by the webcams ir-filter or a to hight resistance in your set-up.
Maybe you can compare the light of your leds with a remote control to check if they are realy to weak.

I personally would choose this set-up with usb-power with usb-pwer adapter.It is not wise to use your pc's usb-port.
Posted Image
Edited by Stormrider on 28/09/2013 at 20h28.
CristianLuca #3 28/09/2013 - 20h50

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 28/09/2013

Off line

thank you for your response:

webcam is builtin http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-A95VM-YZ030V-K95V-Notebook.76775.0.html

I'm running it in compatbility mode with admin rights, same result

The leds are really weak and I don't understand why since the setup present on the site is good. The leds are REALLY weak, like barely lighting up, even in the dark you can barely see them lit.
Stormrider #4 28/09/2013 - 22h08

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

A sorry 0.3 Mega pixel maximum resolution are responsible for all images and videos recorded with the webcam are of rather poor quality. This goes especially for sharpness, the noise characteristic is at least in day light still acceptable.

I don't think that your webcam is good enough for freetrack.
I think it is better to try to find a cheap webcam which
is listed in the list of compatible wecams.
http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/camera.php

What I do is, download Freetrack,right click on the freetrack.exe, select properties, at the compability tab set compability mode to win xp sp3 and let it run as admin.After that click on freeetrack,exe and install.
If it is installed, right click on the freetrack icon and select properties, go to compality mode, xp sp3 mode and admin rights.And then it should work(at least it did with my pc with win8)
Steph #5 29/09/2013 - 14h05

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Install in "Program Files (x86)" Folder.

You do not see the LEDs shine brighter, because IR-light isn't visible for human eyes.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).