FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Shaky and edgy
JayPeeII #1 23/09/2013 - 19h16

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 31/08/2013

Off line

Well guys..

I finally got my 3 point cap done and I've got 100% tracking, thanks to the help I got here on the forum!

However, with the default sensitivity of 0.1 and 15 smoothing tracking is extremely shaky and edgy. Even if I hold my head still, it is constantly 'seeing' small inputs somehow. This goes for all 6DOF but especially Z-shift, that is just insane.

For decent movement in DCS World I need a sensitivity of roughly 1. However, the higher the sensitivity, the more shaky and edgy it gets. I know smoothing is suppose to mitigate this problem, but even a full smoothing of 200 does not help. Instead, a smoothing that high averages out the detection in such a way that it causes way too much lag.

The interesting part is, FaceTrackNoIR, with no filters, no LEDs, nothing at all but just a cam gives exactly the same problem: shaky and edgy responses while I'm holding my head as still as is humanly possible. I find this curious because the visib. filter blocks out almost all light except for a tiny undetected pixel and my 3 LEDs ofcourse so in theory it can not be the environmental lighting, right?

Some facts:
- Problem already at sens. 0.1 and smoothing 15.
- Problem gets worse at higher sens.
- I left global on x1 and x100%, I'm only messing with the Default profile.
- [Advanced] Zoom smoothing multiplier, dynamic smoothing, and average are all left to the default setting because I frankly have no clue what they do and how they might help.
- FPS constant 30
- JPS constant 0
- I did not touch the curves yet because I need a stable baseline first before starting to toy around.
- The raw input data in 'mm' are constantly alternating and never steady.

Could you people be of help once more please? Thanks!
Edited by JayPeeII on 23/09/2013 at 19h39.
Stormrider #2 23/09/2013 - 20h02

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

Is your webcam connected directly to your pc?Sometimes people use usb-hubs and that can cause a bandwith problem for usb-devices.
Do you know that you can change priority of processes?In a post I read once they gave a higher priority to a process named TrackIR.exe.He changed it to realtime and gone were his problems.
You can do it in the taskmanager of windows.Just go to Trackir.exe, right click, go to priority settings and set it to realtime.
Maybe it helps you.
JayPeeII #3 23/09/2013 - 20h18

Off line

Doesn't work.. I also think that's not the corner in which I should be looking for a solution. I'm betting you it's cam related somehow.. Or something with model settings, or distance to cam, angle, etc. but I'm not sure yet.
Edited by JayPeeII on 24/09/2013 at 07h25.
Steph #4 24/09/2013 - 07h25

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Try these basic settings: http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=3444&message=19106

Did you set up your model dimensions and positions correctly?

Curves can limit this problem with larger deathzones.
But you have to keep in mind, that you also need a certain time of habituation, because it's not a one to one control.
JayPeeII #5 24/09/2013 - 07h30

Off line

Steph @ 24/09/2013 - 10h25 a dit:

Try these basic settings: http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=3444&message=19106

Did you set up your model dimensions and positions correctly?

Curves can limit this problem with larger deathzones.
But you have to keep in mind, that you also need a certain time of habituation, because it's not a one to one control.

I copied over all of those settings 1:1. Will test it immediately tonight. I've set my model dimensions but I'm not sure how I can accurately measure the position relative to the pivotal point of my head so I left those to their default values.

Nevertheless, is it possible that a large amount of grain on the cam image is causing small but high frequency vibrations, leading to unsteady tracking? Because I have the feeling my cam image is very grainy behind the visib. light filter.
Edited by JayPeeII on 24/09/2013 at 07h51.
Steph #6 24/09/2013 - 11h30

Off line

...but I'm not sure how I can accurately measure the position relative to the pivotal point of my head so I left those to their default values.

It's important to set up this dimensions, as this can lead to wrong output movements. Let you help by another person or take the measures in front of a mirror.

Posted Image

Nevertheless, is it possible that a large amount of grain on the cam image is causing small but high frequency vibrations, leading to unsteady tracking? Because I have the feeling my cam image is very grainy behind the visib. light filter.

Verify if you got three white crosses permanently over the LED dots in the cam window, even when you move. Any other appearing crosses are tracked and leads to interference.
Check the control lamps on the lower right. You must see three green lamps permanently. If one of them change to red, the tracking is lost.
JayPeeII #7 24/09/2013 - 11h45

Off line

Got 3 greens permanently. Model dimensions are set as well.

Will have to measure/guesstimate model position in front of a mirror tonight, will also test your settings then.

12cm
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .O
.                                     /
.                                    /
. 9,5cm                          /
.                                  /
.                                 /
O-----------------------

O
                |
                |
                | 9,5cm
                |
                |
O----------------------O
    3,9cm         3,9cm
Edited by JayPeeII on 24/09/2013 at 11h55.
JayPeeII #8 25/09/2013 - 13h18

Off line

I did as you told me to regarding settings.

It's either a shaky unsteady view or laggy response... and I don't want either of them. I think the sensitivity and smoothing settings are more of a workaround to bypass the root of the problem, which is an unstable raw data input.

When I hold my head still, the dots itself constantly vibrate somehow, and so are the crosses. They keep track a 100% of the time, but they somehow do not seem to be at ease.

I think this has to be solved first prior to toying with the sensitivity and smoothing.
Steph #9 26/09/2013 - 07h25

Off line

Hm,... last suggestion I can offer is to try the Version 2.1.
I had this laggy behaviour on a previous PC with Freetrack 2.2 and solved it this way.

Freetrack 2.1
Stormrider #10 27/09/2013 - 19h41

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

Jaypee what if you tried to use a one-point model to see if the shaking still persists?
If you use a one-point model you don't have zoom as you probably know.
JayPeeII #11 30/09/2013 - 18h26

Off line

Will test with one LED active and report back on it.

Thanks for the idea.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).