FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Please help me pick the right parts for a 3-LED cap

RSS >  Please help me pick the right parts for a 3-LED cap
bobtch #1 11/08/2013 - 17h53

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 24/05/2013

Off line

Hey, would you guys mind checking my shopping list? I have no experience with building such things, so it would be greatly appreciated.

So far, I have picked out these. Bear in mind that the online shop has a ton of things, some having specifications I couldn't make anything of. I expect to be wrong about these things...

OSRAM SFH485P
KEYSTONE - 2474 - BATTERY HOLDER, SNAP CONN, 2 AA
FRIWO - 1891526 - ADAPTOR, PP USB EURO, 5 V 700MA
VISHAY BC COMPONENTS - MRS25000C5908FCT00 - RESISTOR, MRS25 1% 5R90

I'm not sure what kind of wiring would be best for this, to be honest. Also, my soldiering unit literally costed me 4$, and appears to have a flat end, as opposed to a pointed, cone-like one. So I assume I'll have to buy a proper kit, right? I've got the PS3 eyecam and I'd like to be able to use it as it is, as it's brand new. If modifying is really necessary - I will do it, but I hear it does the job w/o it.

Any advice on this is welcome. Thanks to everyone who's helping such electronic DIY noobs as me.

I am not sure whether to use batteries or USB, what would you recommend? If I use batts, is 2xAA holder going to do the job?
Edited by bobtch on 11/08/2013 at 17h54.
Stormrider #2 11/08/2013 - 18h28

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

Hi bobtch,
if you take a look at this picture you can see what you need.With your 5,9ohm they only will be a little brighter.But Ir-leds are never visible for the human eye.
Posted Image

As you can see, it doesn't use so much current.Your adapter can provide 700mA,but 200mA should be more then enough .
You choose a resistor of 5,9 ohm with a power dispensation of 600mW,it will work.But a resistor of 5,9ohm and 250mW (=0,25 Watt) should also do the job.
What are your plans with that battery holder?If you want to use it you need another set-up(paralel) and a different resistor.
Your solderingkit, don't bother the flat end.If you can solder everything together it is good.
The wire to use? I just  used an old usb-cable for it and connect it to an usb-backup batterypack.
Keep in mind, batterrys run empty, an usb-adapter not.I prefer the usb-solution.But NEVER connect it to your pc(just for safety)
In this image you can see what you need for a battery setup.
On this forum you can find a lot of answers to your questions, it is not a waste of time to read on this forum.
Posted Image

That ps3-eye, there are a few types of it.You just have to try it.But modify it???? If you have the good one you don't have to.If you have the baddest one, just forget the ps3-eye or buy the "good"one.
http://www.peauproductions.com/blog/2009/04/17/the-two-types-of-ps3-eye-stock-lenses-pictures-of-each/
And a interesting post for you to read

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=3624
bobtch #3 11/08/2013 - 18h49

Off line

Thank you very much for your through and insanely informative post! At first I thought I see my PS3 eye model to be the Bad one, but then I read that the Good one has a curved outer glass, which is what I have. I am quite releived to know this!

The threads you linked will surely get me through this! :)

I am not planning on using my PC as a power supply, that's at least one thing I know of. But I'd love to have it go into a wall socket with a USB Adaptor. Tried cutting some old USB cables but the wiring inside was nothing like the image you've shown. Also, I tried using 'casual' wire I bought from the local market, and the results were pretty much none. I basically linked one of the IR leds I bought (normal remote control IR led, not sure about voltage) to an AA batt (a brand new duracell - those turbo max ones with the loading bar), with no results. I then managed to connect the same IR led to one of those gas lighter LED mini battery supplies, and could detect the light with my cam, even though it was quite dim. So, something must have been wrong with the wire, or I simply messed things up somewhere along the way.
Edited by bobtch on 11/08/2013 at 18h51.
Stormrider #4 11/08/2013 - 19h31

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

hi,
what color do the wires have of your usb-cable?If you(or someone you know)has a voltmetre you can also find out which one is + and which one is the ground.
You can try to build the led part with the resistor and try it with 3xAA batterie.
But the ir-leds are diodes, that means they can only work if you connect them in the right way like in the picture in my first reply.
Usb cables have 4 wires in it, 2 for data an two for power.
Posted Image
bobtch #5 12/08/2013 - 22h19

Off line

Gratitude for all of your advice, man. I'll wait until the next salary comes in and probably order everything at once, so I'll try to make the perfect list, with some spares, and then try to build the thing.  :fear:

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Please help me pick the right parts for a 3-LED cap

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).