FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  3-point clip vs 3-point cap
Steph #46 16/09/2013 - 10h14

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Hi!

Just decrease the sensitivity of  "Yaw" in the "Profile" section.
To limit the yaw movement to 120° max. push the end of the curve to 120° in the "Curves" section.

Posted Image
doveman #47 22/09/2013 - 13h07

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 09/05/2012

Off line

Thanks Steph, it seems so obvious now you've explained it  :pinch:

I notice that all the curves in that picture are somewhat different from the ones you provided in post #39, so could you clarify which would be best to use please?
Steph #48 22/09/2013 - 16h39

Off line

I can't say what is the best setting for you.
The best setting are the one that fits to your requirements.
It's up to you, to find what works best for you and different games.

The one I gave first was my IL-2 Sturmovik settings. They are not necessarily good for every other games.

Just for explanation for the curves:

Y-Axis is the real head input in degrees, x-Axis is the Freetrack virtual output in degrees. Right mouse click opens menu for some standard curves.
You can change the curves by moving the little black boxes at your wish.
Some large deathzone (steep curve at beginning) works good in nearly every situation.
doveman #49 23/09/2013 - 05h48

Off line

Thanks, that's fair enough. I just thought maybe you'd found better settings since your previous post ;)

Whilst Yaw and Pitch is working reasonably now, I'm having a lot of trouble zooming in whilst looking anywhere other than forward. It seems to lose tracking and thus freeze if I yaw and pitch to look at the lower front left or right cockpit (in Black Shark 2, where the HSI/engine starter or ABRIS, PVI, battery switches are) and then move forward to zoom in. Likewise, looking out of the left window and moving up and turning to try and see my wingman at my 8'o clock.

It's a lot better than it was though, thanks.
Steph #50 23/09/2013 - 07h45

Off line

Thanks, that's fair enough. I just thought maybe you'd found better settings since your previous post ;)

Oh,... there is no mystery around any settings.  :inn:
It depends on game, webcam, mount dimensions and model position how it works. So there is no universal best setting, just basic individual ideas I share with pleasure.

@Zoom

Do you checked this functions?

Posted Image
doveman #51 07/11/2013 - 12h55

Off line

Sorry Steph, missed your reply.

Yep, I have those zoom options checked thanks.

Using your curves it's relatively OK for yawing and pitching, although perhaps a bit laggy but maybe that's just a limitation of the technology. I still have a lot of problems viewing certain areas of the cockpits though.

For example, in DCSW UH-1H, there's a central overhead panel, so I try to look up and lean left so that's above me but it ends up twisiting so that I can only see the bottom right-hand corner of it. Looking down at the central panel is better and I can lean forward to zoom in on it but it's still quite awkward trying to twist to see certain sections of it.

In the KA-50, I find it's very hard/impossible to focus on the front panel just behind the joystick, as if I lean left or right and then try to zoom in it loses tracking. I think most other areas of the cockpit are viewable now though, so it's definitely better than it was before.

I've noticed that with the cam in line with my clip, turning my head left is fine and the blobs stay clear but turning my head right they tend to get very small and lose tracking. I tried moving the cam further over to the right and even pointing it inwards a bit (i.e. towards my left shoulder) but that didn't seem to make much difference.

I guess I should try and work out how to make a video, showing DCSW and the Freetrack window together, which should give a better idea of the problems than trying to describe it.
doveman #52 25/11/2013 - 01h03

Off line

I experimented with having the PS3 Eye underneath my monitor (on the right, roughly in line with my clip) instead of on top tonight and it seems to work a lot better like that. I think it just has trouble keeping line of sight to the LEDs when I'm looking down in the DCS cockpits especially, but even turning L/R it seems to work better underneath.

I set the pitch offset to 25, which seems to be enough to stop it pitching when I'm yawing. However, I was testing in FaceTrackNoIR as it's easy to disable the different axis in that and found that if I enabled the Z axis, that would move a lot when I'm yawing, so I can probably only use Yaw and Pitch for now.

Another problem I found though with both programs is that it feels very sluggish to follow my head, almost like pulling a piece of wood with a string on a lake, where the water acts to resist the movement and it also tends to float, so after I stop my head it continues to move a bit further, making it overshoot where I wanted to look.

Is there anyway to get rid of these issues or is this the best it gets at the moment? Like this, it's easier to use snapviews to look out of the L/R windows to check my surroundings, as I can do that in an instant with the hat switch on my joystick and it goes straight to the correct view and back to where I was looking (dash, HUD) as soon as I release it, whereas with headtracking, it's a struggle to get it to look exactly where I want and then another struggle to get back to where I was looking before!

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).