FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Ledtronics LED 120 deg angle + current regulator for led

RSS >  Ledtronics LED 120 deg angle + current regulator for led
fimdan #1 05/11/2007 - 17h44

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 05/11/2007

Off line

What do you think about this LED made by Ledtronics.

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/SML10IR941T/Dsdc0053.pdf

It seems to have excellent 120 deg angles. What about electrical characteristics? I am asking cause I am not electronics expert I would rather not want to blow up these expensive LEDs.

To me 100mA for an LED seems to be rather high.  I guess running it at lower current would not hurt. Also, is there a device that would allow me to manually control the amount of current (say between 10 - 100 mA). I would like to be able to adjust it for different LED intensity.

Also, sites like http://ledcalc.com/ give me different recommendations for the led setup. Can you point me to a tutorial how to calculate these numbers myself.

Thank you for making this site available to all of us!!

Daniel F.
wody #2 05/11/2007 - 21h11

Registered on : 29/10/2007

Off line Mail

Hi Daniel,

according the datasheet 100mA is the maximum current! I would target some 20 to 40 mA.
The forward voltage is 1,9V (@50ma), so the calculation would be:
5V Supply - 1,9V = 3,1 V for the Resistor.
Ohm's formula is: R = U/I = 3,1V / 30mA = 103Ohm.
The next available resistor would be 120 Ohm (Gives you about 25mA).

If you want to regulate the brightness = current, just connect in series a fixed resistor with 68 Ohm (for 50mA) and a linear potentiometer with about 1kOhm.

By the way, the ledcalc.com site is ok. You enter the supply voltage, the forward voltage in the Voltage-drop-across-the-LED-field, and the current you want. All for 1 LED.

Hope that helps

Peter
fimdan #3 05/11/2007 - 22h54

Off line

Hello,

Thank you for clarifying some of these things for me.

I have decided to go with 9V battery and 4 LED setup.  I will buy 3 different types of resistors (for 70, 50, 30mA current settings) . This way I can test the setup with three different values.

Also, I could not find a  cheap potentiometer so I think I will dump the idea of adjustable intensity for now.

Now I have to wait for all the parts.

Thank again,

Daniel F.
Kestrel #4 06/11/2007 - 00h36

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

fimdan @ 05/11/2007 - 23h54 a dit:

Also, I could not find a  cheap potentiometer so I think I will dump the idea of adjustable intensity for now.

You can buy inexpensive trimpots that are mini potentiometers.
fimdan #5 06/11/2007 - 16h59

Off line

Thanks

I am learning a lot here. Now those trimpots. Does 1KOhm trimpot allow me to control resistance between 0 and 1kOhms?  So, if I put is behind a 68Ohm resistor I will be able to regulate total resistance from 68 - 1068 Ohms?

Am I getting it right?

Thanks

Daniel F.
protonmw #6 06/11/2007 - 19h49

Registered on : 25/09/2007

Off line

Please take care of the maximum power that the potentiometer can handle!!!

P = U * I

And if you want to built the 4 leds in serial I wont do so because the battery changes his voltage with the time and with this little resistor you will get a big change in current! If you want to use a 9V battery I would built 2 leds in serial and the same thing again parallel to it. (I hope you understand my text  :blink:   :stuart: )
tristan68 #7 06/11/2007 - 22h02

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello fimdan

Please go for a 3led setup , 4 led is obsolete design.

@protonmw :

If you want to power your setup with a 9v battery , then the battery lifetime has an importance, and the battery voltage is high enough.

So instead of a parallel-serial (2 x 2leds and a resistor) design as you suggested, i would rather recommand a full serial setup (4 leds and a resistor)

cya

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

depending if you want to create a 3led or 4led setup
fimdan #8 06/11/2007 - 22h16

Off line

Thanks

Regarding battery life. I assume as the battery is drained the voltage decreases.

Here is how I understand it. The formula says that r = v/i or i = v/r.
Now if v changes (decreases), and r stays constant, the value of I will also drop. So, the lower the voltage, the lower the current, and the lower the intensity of the LED.

For power. Formula is P = V x I. If battery voltage and current begin to fade, so will the power consumption.

So, if my math is correct, I will not set my head on fire. Or should I get a fireproof baseball cup??:)
tristan68 #9 06/11/2007 - 23h15

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

;D

no, no need for a fireproof cap  :D

and your math is correct

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Ledtronics LED 120 deg angle + current regulator for led

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).