FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Looking down
KG64_Cnopicilin #1 30/04/2010 - 18h10

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 30/04/2010

Off line

Hey!

I've enjoyed setting up my FreeTrack system, but I have one problem I have not been able to fix.

When I try to look down it goes down some way but then it jumps to way different look, to the right and somewhat center.

Where can I set the parameters to fix this problem?

Thanks
petroleus #2 30/04/2010 - 19h09

Registered on : 12/04/2010

Off line

I think the camera lost track, can that be? When it loses you it tends to freak out. One option I think solves this is 'maintain paused data'  option in the 'profile>>advanced' tab. What this does, as far as I can tell, is keep the head's model at the last known position, rather than freeking out. Another problem may be your led model (the led(s) on ur head; what system are u using?). A third problem may be the point size. It's unlikely, but possible that by moving your head to look down you get so close to the cam that the leds show up as quite large red circles, and freetrack will think it is (background) noise.

Cam problem: in my case the cam is simply too close to have a large enough viewing field, so when I move my head too far to the right, top, left or bottom I simply move out of the cam's view. A solution would be to place the cam farther back (but that requires room :P), or, like I did, to use mirrors :P.

Model problem: with my first 3points cap the two front leds would tend to crawl back a bit and sit rather on top of the cap than in front of it. Because of that one of the leds would be blocked from the camera by the cap when I turned my head too far. Now I built a new cap and forced my leds to stay 5 mm in front of the cap (i now put one wire over and one wire under the cap so it couldn't crawl), now I can turn my head to the point my eye loses the screen and FT still follows my head. :) yay :)

Settings problem: this is simple really: you have to tell freetrack what range of circle sizes could possibly be your cap. Anything outside this range is effectively considered (background) noise. Tweak the point size to fit the ranges you need, but don't overdo it, or freetrack will lose you whenever you turn on a bright light or something :P
Edited by petroleus on 30/04/2010 at 19h12.
KG64_Cnopicilin #3 01/05/2010 - 05h10

Registered on : 30/04/2010

Off line

Now I know why it does it!

When the upper led goes lower than the middle one it thinks that I am looking to the left. Any solutions? Here's my configuration:

Posted Image

Built from drinking straws and tape :D

I've configurated my cam so it does only see my LEDs
petroleus #4 01/05/2010 - 18h30

Registered on : 12/04/2010

Off line

From the pic it looks like the top and bottom lights are both more or less the same distance foreward, right? this can be a problem, as the model is then symmetric, and there is not a big enough difference between looking up and looking down.

This is a clip model right (that goes onto ur headset?) I don't know exactly how that works, cause I have a cap model. Did you set the model paramaters to the actual sizes of your model? this can help solve some general issues.

With the upper led below the middle one, all of the leds are still in a vertical line, right? I don't see how that could be interpreted as a sideways movement, in which case the three leds are not in line.

But we may be getting closer to the solution anyhow: I think you should change your model in such a way, that the lights do not pass eachother, no matter how you orient your head. You can do that by either incresing the vertical distance between the leds, or reducing the horizontal distance.

as for the cam seing only ur model: yeah, in my experience you can get it to usually only see your leds, but sometimes a hot light, or the sun itself, can be sufficiently bright in infrared to show up, in those cases u can either remove the other light-source or crank up the threshhold

if you still have trouble, perhaps you could upload a vid to clearly show what you mean:
"screen recording software"clickerdyclick
"free upload site"clickerdyclick

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).