FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Great idea for new Freetrack build: Use IR-balls

RSS >  Great idea for new Freetrack build: Use IR-balls, Very wide angle, turn your head 90 degrees !
serenith #16 20/02/2011 - 17h38

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 20/02/2011

Off line

I have an idea how you could make  thin FIMO balls with an almosti-spherical interior cavity. Well, I didn't invent the technique, it's was originaly used to mold jewelry :

Lost-wax casting

What you do is quite simple :

1- Find a candle and carve yourself a few spheres out of wax. If the wax is too hard, soften it by putting it in hot tap water (which should be around 50C) for 1-2 min. You can then shape them simply using your fingers.

2- Put the shaped wax spheres in the freezer for 10-20min to re-harden them.

3- Using the wax beads as an interior mold, apply a thin layer of FIMO over them.

4- Puncture the FIMO-wax sphere using a small nail or big needle.

5- Cook your FIMO normally on a baking sheet. Orient the balls so that the puncture hole points downward.

The wax should drain out during cooking, leaving you with a thin small fimo ping-pong ball ;-).  Now you only have to drill that puncture hole to the desired LED size.  These thin balls should absorb less light yet still diffuse the light nicely.
thrillhaus #17 18/05/2011 - 05h19

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 18/05/2011

Off line

All this is unnecessary. I have regular narrow beam LEDs and all I did was use sandpaper to rough up the plastic. Provides diffuse lighting right away.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Great idea for new Freetrack build: Use IR-balls

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).