FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Great idea for new Freetrack build: Use IR-balls

RSS >  Great idea for new Freetrack build: Use IR-balls, Very wide angle, turn your head 90 degrees !
benmeijer #1 12/03/2010 - 23h35

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 19/07/2008

Off line

I think if you put an IR-led in a white ball (like a Ping Pong ball), you'll get perfect diffuse (IR)-light.

This would be the solution for problems with narrow angle led's.

I will try to build this but I don't know what material I should use. A Ping Pong ball is to big. But give good results!

Posted Image

I my search I found some solutions like the polystyrene balls, but I don't know if they give good results.
Posted Image

Anybody have other/better ideas?

Or should I use my wife's pearls?  :blink:
Posted Image

Example of how my builds will look:
Posted Image
Posted Image

edit: Corrected UV=IR !  :blink:
Edited by benmeijer on 19/03/2010 at 23h26.
benmeijer #2 17/03/2010 - 22h03

Off line

In my first test I found some packaging-material, white plastic foam.

The results are very good, it's almost impossible to loose tracking, even when you turn the clip 180 degrees.

Posted Image

other material what give good results:

cotton wool
Posted Image

chewing gum

Posted Image
Edited by benmeijer on 19/03/2010 at 23h33.
slaver1 #3 18/03/2010 - 21h37

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 08/02/2010

Off line

benmeijer is ir light intensity much degraded?
Can you post two freetrack capture screenshot moded and unmoded leds in same setting?
When fps grow up intensity of light will by degraded too i see this on my ps3eye at 30, 60 and 120 fps.
benmeijer #4 19/03/2010 - 22h35

Off line

The intensity of the IR-light is degraded, but not that much.

See the 2 screenshots below. I removed the white foam from the center-led.

As you can see in screenshot 1, the  treshold-slider is set to 60 %, what is enough for the uncovered led.
In screenshot 2, I had to adjust the slider to 35 % to get the same size.

For your information: I use a WiiMote as cam.

But give it a try on your own build with simple cotton wool!

screenshot 1
Posted Image

screenshot 2
Posted Image
Edited by benmeijer on 19/03/2010 at 23h23.
caaront #5 31/03/2010 - 08h38

Registered on : 07/04/2008

Off line

No matter how good you get FT to work there will be lag, and you never know when it will quit working during game play.

How much is your time worth?
Put a dollar amount on it,
estimate how much money you have spent on a camera if you bought it for use with FT,
other materials, and your time at $10 (or whatever amount) per hour,
and see if you could have already purchased Track IR 5 and been flying happily with zero lag and 100% reliability.
caaront #6 31/03/2010 - 08h45

Registered on : 07/04/2008

Off line

If I added up my time trying to find a good stable setting at a very conservative $10 per hour, buying a camera to use with FT, and then a hat with the IR lights already installed (it cost me less than the time that  would have been involved in buying and waiting for the supplies to arrive, then building the hat).

If I were to estimate all that together I spent about $500 at a minimum trying to enjoy 6 DOF in FT.

So is $150 and no more trouble or frustration expensive, no, its a bargain.
benmeijer #7 01/04/2010 - 21h12

Off line

I agree that if I had to buy all the hardware and calculate all the hours that I spent on Freetrack (not just building a clip), I could have bought a real TrackIr device.

But if you calculate the real costs I saved € 95.00! (2-3 hours work)

WiiMote - € 39.00
BlueTooth Dongle - € 10.00
Material - € 5.00

TrackIr - € 149.00

Besides that it gives me fun to experiment with this technology and gives me a great feeling when I finished a build. :D  And now that I have a WiiMote / Bluetooth I can do other experiments (Google for Johnny Lee .. WiiMote)

For all of you that not like experimenting, here's the link to buy the real TrackIr 5: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/

But if you want this model (TrackIR 6 Ultimate ?)
Posted Image

You must build it yourself, because it's not for sale (yet!)  ;)
benmeijer #8 09/04/2010 - 15h19

Off line

Eureka !  :lol:

Some guys on this forum give me an idea. FIMO modelling material was what I needed! Fimo is a sort of soft plastic clay wich hardens in the oven to hard plastic. It feels like a piece of chewing gum.

Just Googling around I found out that Fimo nr. 014 is (semi-)transparent and white. Just perfect!

In a hobby-store (2 km distance from my home :D ) they had it in stock. cost about 2.20 euro.

Here some pictures of it.
Posted Image

cut off a small layer and cut it in parts with same size
Posted Image

make small balls (rolling between your hands) with different sizes ( 7 mm / 9 mm / 12 mm ......)
Posted Image

then bake it 30 minutes in an oven (110 degrees celsius) and make some holes (5 mm the size of most leds).
Posted Image

middle size (9 mm) placed over my leds.
Posted Image

see the difference between the covered and uncovered leds. (angle about 45 degrees)
Posted Image

Model ready ! now it's time for testing!  :rolleyes:
Posted Image

As you can see in the last picture the angle can really be 90 degrees.

This is the solution for those who can't get the real leds (SFH485P)
Neel #9 26/10/2010 - 14h58

Registered on : 11/03/2010

Off line

I used this FIMO stuff and it improves the tracking a lot.
Great idea from benmeijer.
Sasso #10 08/11/2010 - 21h44

Registered on : 08/11/2010

Off line

niceeee my first post on the forums :D found this while trolling the net to find "make your own trackir" xD must say im really impressed with everything ive seen people do :) and im inspired to try to make my own and your ideas in this post look amazing! definitely going to be adding polymer clay to my shopping list.

a few questions about it though... which size ball did you find worked best with the LED's? im thinking if you make it only a bit bigger than the actual LED itself it will keep most of the intensity while spreading it around better.

also would you need to reduce the value of the resistor to increase the intensity to make up for the reduction due to the transparent clay?

did you flatten the face of the LED before inserting it into the balls or did you leave them unmodified? just wondering if ya tried both to see that would give better consistency and spread of the IR light.

benmeijer #11 09/11/2010 - 00h03

Off line

I use the 9 mm balls, they give very good results. The intensity of the ir-ball (@ 50mA) is bright enough for tracking with the Wiimote. I had to adjust my treshold slider from 60% to 35% for best tracking.
If you plan to build a new new cap/clip with these balls maybe you should use 75 mA. It depends of the size of the balls (and distance ... if you using it with a TV ....).

My clip is/was build with the SFH485P leds (see this link: http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=466&page=8#12613), but I think all IR leds will give good results.

With these IR balls my tracking is much more smoother than without them.

Please let us know your experience ...
Wolvenmoon #12 03/12/2010 - 08h18

Registered on : 05/11/2010

Off line

Yo,

Out of curiosity what resolution are you running your monitor at? If you were say, trying to use it as a head mouse, would running the IR ball build with a wiimote be sufficient accuracy?

I'm currently in a place of purgatory and am trying to figure out how to outfit all of my computers with headmice setups. I can still go between a PS3 eye and a wiimote, but will soon have to pick one and go!
dutch #13 03/12/2010 - 11h09

Registered on : 11/04/2008

Off line

Ben here something without IR and it seems to work on freetrack software.
http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm
benmeijer #14 03/12/2010 - 19h17

Off line

Wolvenmoon @ 03/12/2010 - 09h18 a dit:

Q1:
Out of curiosity what resolution are you running your monitor at?

Q2:
If you were say, trying to use it as a head mouse, would running the IR ball build with a wiimote be sufficient accuracy?

A1:
1920 x1200 28"

A2:
I think its more precise because of constant light-intensity, and it's smoother.

Maybe you can use what "Dutch" suggest Face_Track_No_IR

@dutch:
I tried facetracknoir, without succes in RBR .... but I will test it again. It is an interresting alternative for Headtracking!
Just like Gan Turismo 5 on the PS3 what also have that option!
dutch #15 04/12/2010 - 18h12

Registered on : 11/04/2008

Off line

Did give it a try and it is promising, no head set or difficult adjustments, only the CPU will be extra loaded by 20% which could result in more than 100% CPU load during my game play. I have used my old MS-VX1000 with removed IRfilter.
After my upgrade to a big quad in January, I will try again, but then testing inside a game, I think such a system is the future.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Great idea for new Freetrack build: Use IR-balls

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).