FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  V2.2 & FSX/FS9
charliechew #1 09/10/2008 - 13h30

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 22/06/2008

Off line

Hi guys,
If you've tried v.2.2 with FSX and/or FS9, could you please share your results?
There appear to be two recurring problems among users:

FSX: head movements in virtual cockpit mode are wildly exaggerated, to the point of being unusable, regardless of the sensitivity levels used in Freetrack.

FS9: Still only getting 4DOF.

Please share your experiences, positive or negative, so we can sort out whether these problems are isolated or widespread.
Thanks!
Quarrion #2 09/10/2008 - 13h57

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 09/10/2008

Off line

i think u need addon for fs9 6dof, another file or something...
Gizmo #3 09/10/2008 - 14h11

Registered on : 23/03/2008

Off line

Same problem with 2.2 Hyper sensitive VC movement in FSX even with all lvl's set at there lowest and smoothing set at its highest

FT's head barely moves at these settings yet the slightest movement in FSX sends me about 1km outside the VC!

Ive still donated to the fund though as i know how much work these guys have put in,ive waitted this long for 2.2 i can wait a while longer for a FSX hotfix

off to do more testing if i find anything i'll be sure to post

Cheers
Gizmo
mmbarry #4 09/10/2008 - 14h17

Off line

I'm using V2.2 with FSX and still get way too much translation movement on the X, Y and Z axes. In the virtual cockpit the view ends up a long way out of the cockpit. I can see the outside of the plane I'm meant to be sitting in!

I've spent hours trying different combinations of sensitivity, tweaking the curves etc and it is still unusable. I have to run with only yaw, pitch and roll turned on. It's a real shame as 6DOF rocks! Has anyone got a working profile or is there away to adjust the output of freetrack  (to simconnect) so that the X, Y, Z translation is scaled down? My sensitivity is at minimum and curves are all the way to the left. I've checked all the forums and I can't find anyone who has posted a config that works with my setup. I had the same problem with V2.1.

Lets see if we can find a solution to this as it sounds like a common problem :-)
Gizmo #5 09/10/2008 - 19h52

Off line

Well i've been trying to reduce the sensitivity to get a usable lvl but no luck :(

Even ajusting every setting to its lowest seems to give me 100 meters XYZ virtual head movement for every 1cm XYZ RL head movement,its almost like the sensitivity is x100% higher than it should be

Everything within FT's app/skull tracking window is nice and smooth 28FPS locked and 0 jitter & the Skull shows movement/tracking to the same degree that 2.1 does but within FSX i have hyper movement with even the slightest twitch

Did anyone in the 2.2 beta testing see this problem or something like it if so any tips or should we await a hotfix or 2.2.1?

Cheers
Gizmo
didja #6 09/10/2008 - 20h35

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

charliechew @ 09/10/2008 - 15h30 a dit:

FS9: Still only getting 4DOF.

You need to install TirViews :

FreeTrack Manual a dit:

TrackIR interface
FreeTrack works with all TrackIR enabled programs. The number of degrees of freedom available is dependent on the host application. The following games require, or can benefit from, an optional extension called TIRViews.

FS2004 – alternative to FSUIPC interface with full 6DOF support,
FSX – same as SimConnect interface.
Wings of War
NASCAR Racing Season 2003
Colin McRae Rally 4
Race Driver 2
Combat Flight Simulator 3
Richard Burns Rally
F1 Challenge
To install the extension, a file from the TrackIR software named TIRViews.dll needs to be copied into the FreeTrack root directory. TrackIR software is free for download from here:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/support-download-software-and-manuals.html

If the file is found when FreeTrack starts, the TIRViews text next to the output option is black to indicate it is enabled, otherwise it is grey. When enabled and the output option is checked, the above games are supported (including automatic profile loading) and the FSUIPC and SimConnect interfaces are overridden.

FreeTrack creates and executes a dummy TrackIR.exe process to improve compatibility with TrackIR enabled games like Grand Prix Legends (GPL).

TrackIR software should not be run alongside FreeTrack.

Please try to run FSX as well once TIRviews has been installed and tell me if view sensibility issue is still there please :D .

Hope we'll get it ^^ ...

Rémy
Posted Image
mmbarry #7 09/10/2008 - 21h08

Off line

Hi Rémy,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I have tried it with FSX but was unsuccessful... Here is what I observed.

I have copied TIRViews.dll into the root directory of freetrack. I can see the TIRviews option is now black instead of grey. I make sure the Freetrack interface option is unselected. (it doesn't work with it selected either) When I select the TrackIR interface option the simconnect option greys out which I had expected. I can also see the dummy trackIR.exe process running in task manager. The problem is that there is no input making it to FSX. I can see the skull in freetrack moving fine but no movement in FSX. Is there something in FSX I need to enable to allow the trackIR interface to work? Maybe something I've missed in FT? When you say TrackIR software should not be run alongside do you mean it should be completely uninstalled or just not running?

Thanks
Edited by mmbarry on 09/10/2008 at 22h05.
caaront #8 09/10/2008 - 23h28

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 07/04/2008

Off line

I'm getting 2DOF with one point in FSX, but when I try the 3 point hat for 6DOF I'm all over the place in the VC, outside fixed spot, and outside behind views, and like y'all, I can't find any settings that even make a bit of difference, its crazy.
marcusw #9 10/10/2008 - 00h55

Registered on : 17/04/2008

Off line Www

the problem is that you can't turn off translation at all. If we could do that, it would work fine.
The only way to fly!!!
Posted Image
marcusw #10 10/10/2008 - 01h38

Registered on : 17/04/2008

Off line Www

I figured out a good fix, instead of using simconnect, I use the ppjoy out put then in fsx change the x view pan to x axis on the ppjoystick (reversed)
and y view pan to the y axis (normal) you could do the rol and translation as well, but I don't use them in fsx. ;)

you have to calibrate the ppjoy stick aswell with each use, with your head.
The only way to fly!!!
Posted Image
charliechew #11 10/10/2008 - 02h12

Registered on : 22/06/2008

Off line

Hi Rémy,
Thanks for the FS9 explanation. I followed your suggestions and ... Wow! 6DOF working fantastic in FS9! Thanks to the Freetrack team for all your work!
Quarrion #12 10/10/2008 - 02h49

Off line

mmbarry @ 09/10/2008 - 23h08 a dit:

I have copied TIRViews.dll into the root directory of freetrack. I can see the TIRviews option is now black instead of grey. I make sure the Freetrack interface option is unselected. (it doesn't work with it selected either) When I select the TrackIR interface option the simconnect option greys out which I had expected. I can also see the dummy trackIR.exe process running in task manager. The problem is that there is no input making it to FSX.

i noticed there are two files, simconnect.manifest and simconnectsp2.manifest in the trackir directory, maybe you need those as well?
didja #13 10/10/2008 - 05h30

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

I think (I'm not a developper) that TrackIR just need to be installed, wherever it is on your PC. Then, do not touch anything, just run FreeTrack as usual and keep the Simconnect Output selected. I think there is a chance it's gonna work with FSX as well...

Rémy
Posted Image
Gizmo #14 10/10/2008 - 11h37

Off line

Hey all

Just thought id say that ive tryed didja suggestion of using TIRViews.dll

But just as mmbarry ive been unsucessful

I got the TIRViews.dll from the game-support-files-20080716.zip file on the trackIr website,I tryed there installer for the main package but just get the dreaded  0x80040707 fail message when its unpacking......the suggested fix for this installer error is a fresh OS install

But Placing the TIRViews.dll from the above zip package in the freetrack root dir gives me a blacked out TIRViews option in freetrack and the dummy Trackir.exe is running in task manager when freetrack is started but i also get no headtracking input/output in FSX

Switching to Simconnect Output while FSX is running just gives me hyper sensitive movement,back to 2.1 using simconnect and no problems correct tracking and movement senitivity...

Did anything like this show up in testing?

I hope we can get this sorted in hopping to try out a wii remote for tracking this weekend

Cheers
Gizmo
Edited by Gizmo on 10/10/2008 at 11h38.
Quarrion #15 10/10/2008 - 13h06

Off line

if trackir needs those manifest files then freetrack would as well, try copying them into the freetrack directory

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).