FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Freetrack and Vr920 Googles
AlexandreSemed #1 27/09/2008 - 18h53

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 27/09/2008

Off line

Hi everybody,

I'm building a 3-point-cap to use freetrack with my Vr920 goggles (and get extra 3DOF) - i intend to use it for FPS games like "Crysis".
   My question is..how adaptable is freetrack to use with 3d Goggles? Will i be able to rotate at least 180º?
   The Vr920 uses magnetic sensors for Yaw..and in my experience the sensors are not very good - the image shakes a lot with games like "crysis"...
   I will aparently have to use a program called "Glovepie" for mouselook emulation - is this required?

Any comments will be welcome.
   Thanks in advance. :)
tristan68 #2 28/09/2008 - 10h06

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello AlexandreSemed

Will i be able to rotate at least 180º?

No.
The whole setting of freetrack is based on the fact you'll have to look at your screen while turning your head, so the hardware allows only 'small' head movements (usually a max of about 80° is good) and the software converts these 'small' real head movements in 'virtual'  large head movements.

A single webcam tracking is usually unsuited for large real head movements, unless you use a rather complicated tracking and dots setting

take a look here for an example

But as said , it's beyond the scope of the general purpose of freetrack.

At now the best way to track a 1 to 1 (real head movements= virtual head movements) movement is to use gyroscopic tracking or accelerometer based tracking

The Vr920 uses magnetic sensors for Yaw..and in my experience the sensors are not very good - the image shakes a lot with games like "crysis"...

:blink: That means you're trying to use a headtracking device with crysis  :blink:

To my knowledge, crysis isn't compatible with headtracking (if i'm wrong , please correct me  :huh: )

Thats means you use your headtracking prog as a mouse in your program, to move your character ???

IMO, that must provide weird results .....

The only FPS game which handles correctly headtracking at this time is ARMA

I will aparently have to use a program called "Glovepie" for mouselook emulation - is this required?

Depends of you VR920 driver software.

I'm no glovepie user, so i can't answer about that.
But i'm sure somebody will drop in and let you know.

cya
AlexandreSemed #3 28/09/2008 - 15h34

Registered on : 27/09/2008

Off line

Hi again.. Vr920 does include head tracking drivers for many fps games like "Crysis". I've seen this video:

"6DOF with wiimote and glovepie:"
       -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1H_j-XcJDw

And i really believed we could actually turn 180º as long it was within the field of view of the camera - i suppose i was wrong.
cadcoke4 #4 29/09/2008 - 11h27

Registered on : 13/08/2008

Off line

Perhaps putting the camera overhead (or nearly overhead) would allow for this type of head tracking.  However, I can see how the camera could get confused about which light is which.  I guess this is where the world of multi-color tracking would come into play... again outside of the scope of the purpose of this software.

Joe Dunfee
tristan68 #5 29/09/2008 - 11h39

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello AlexandreSemed

I took a look at the vid and noticed the following :

- at 0:52 , the guy turns completely the visor (about 160° to the left) and the system continues tracking , alhtough it's obvious the wiimote can't see the leds anymore.

- in the comments the guy says :
6DOF within wiimote sight, 3DOF otherwise.

so IMO :

This guy (really clever  ^^ ) has configured glovepie such as :
- if glovepie gets infos from the wiimote, it uses the wiimote infos (6DOF)
- if glovepie gets no infos from the wiimote (leds out of sighting range), it uses the gyroscopic infos from his visor
- as long as the leds are in view, the wiimote info is used to recalibrate the gyroscopic system, so the 2 systems can work together.

The best thing to do is to ask directly this guy because i don't know glovepie well enough, but its what it seems when looking at the vid.

head tracking drivers for many fps games like "Crysis"

Is it a "real" headtracking ???

that's : you can run in a direction while aiming in another direction while looking in a 3rd direction.

If thats the case , it's a real ingame headtracking.
If it's not the case (ie : headtracking moves your aiming point), then it's only something like a mouselook option.

At this time , to my knowledge, only ARMA and the Insurgency mod for DOD:S allow real headtracking
cadcoke4 #6 29/09/2008 - 21h17

Off line

I am interested in this current discussion, because I am awaiting the next version of FreeTrack so that i can implement a real head-tracking system for SolidWorks.  I figgured that if things were going to change, then I am best off waiting for the new version, especially since I am hoping to utilize the Wi Remote.  Perhaps I am awaiting something that won't help me.

I want to do the "Johnny Lee" thing. So, this requires real head tracking. The reason I was attracted to FreeTrack was that I didn't want to get bogged down in the low-level programming. I was hoping to integrate at the .net level. (Johnny Lee's program doesn't do that)

Can someone inform  me if I am barking up the wrong tree with FreeTrack?

Joe Dunfee
cadcoke4 #7 29/09/2008 - 21h31

Off line

Ok, I know this is a bit off topic, but you lead me to this when you linked to the Youtube video.  A link showing "head tracking" was actually this one, showing how well chickens are at this.  It amazes me how rock-solid that chicken can keep her head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dPlkFPowCc&feature=related

And think of all the money spent on steady-cam devices, when all they needed was to attach the camera to a chicken!

Joe Dunfee
TotalRecall #8 30/09/2008 - 19h23

Registered on : 22/09/2008

Off line

Those damn chickens..they have some sort of pentagon top secret gyroscope inside their heads!!! :lol:

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).