FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  360 degree tracking?
nvhlvnop #1 13/02/2008 - 22h42

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 12/02/2008

Off line

It would be awesome to be able to track your head 360 degrees.  This would allow for 1:1 movement.  Of course this would be good if you had video glasses.   How about using 2 or 3 wii remotes pointed at you from different directions?  This way when one LED drops out of the frame, it's just picked up by another camera?   Or how about placing LEDs all the way around your head in a pattern FreeTrack will recognize.   If an LED drops out the left side of the picture while a new LED appears out of nowhere from the right side of the image, then perhaps FreeTrack can assume that the head is continuing rotation beyond the angular range of the LED beam?  Just some thoughts...
tristan68 #2 13/02/2008 - 22h56

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello nvhlvnop

If you want to track on a 1:1 movement, it's better to use gyroscopic/accelerometer tracking rather than led tracking.

But this only makes sense if you use VR goggles.

Look here for a multicam headtracker and here  for a gyroscopic headtrack equiped vr goggle.

(all commercial products, but just  to show...)

cya
Edited by tristan68 on 13/02/2008 at 22h58.
akanad #3 26/03/2008 - 17h53

Registered on : 26/03/2008

Off line

Hi, All.
First of all. I'm newbie-FreeTrack-User in Korea ( south, Repulic of ).
and  I'm not good at English.

I think it's fantastic to be able to track my head 360', too.  but the problem of the 360deg-tracking is a sight of the cam. right?

but think this, how about a cam on ceil or somewhere upper side of your head. and now there is no problem of sight of a cam to track your head.

dissymmetric position of LEDs make 6DOF able ( I can't understand y-movement in this situation, but the FT can recognize z-movement  )

I hope some developer will add this to Free Track later.
babasior #4 26/03/2008 - 19h51

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

FreeTrack work on maximum 180° on all axis ! because in real life, if you move your head you can't do more than 90° on each axis !

It's not impossible to do 360° in freetrack (if you modify source code), but it's not interresting for gaming experience ...
Edited by babasior on 26/03/2008 at 19h53.
akanad #5 27/03/2008 - 05h07

Registered on : 26/03/2008

Off line

Right.

I can't turn my head more than 90' on each axis " in front of computer to see moniter." .

but someone have HMD(head mounted display) is interresting in 360' tracking for 1:1 movement. that's more realistic than now. and if Freetrack will be developted in these way, it is more useful in games and somewhere out of game.    ;D

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).