FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  1point LED, To be attached on headphone
Venom #1 09/08/2007 - 07h55

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 09/08/2007

Off line

Hey guys,I've just downloaded freetrack and decided to try out the 1 point LED setup.I know it's the simplest setup but my setup will be a bit different than the one recommended in your handbook.I'm gonna set it up ala track clip pro for the TrackIR :

Posted Image

except that mine will be only with 1 LED and not as fancy as the track clip pro.I just want to attach it to the right side of my headphone,just above the right earcup,unlike the track clip pro which is on the left side.Now,my question is how do i configure the settings in freetrack so that it will detect the LED on my headphone to be centred on the screen?..Like the LED's axis and stuff.Your guys' help would be very much appreciated  : )
Venom #2 09/08/2007 - 07h58

Off line

hmmm..not sure why the image wont show up...anyway here's the link just to give you guys a rough idea of my setup TrackClip PRO
Kestrel #3 09/08/2007 - 08h39

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

The tracking point only needs to be in the camera frame and move significantly to the left/right when yawing your head and up/down when pitching your head (very basic stuff). For best results, extend the led forward of your headphones, so that rotating your head causes it to travel in a wide arc. This will ensure that the camera sees a large movement which will give a better tracking resolution.

In Freetrack:
Click on the 'Setup' button, then click on the 'Single Point' button to activate single point tracking mode.

Press the 'Center' button to tell Freetrack that the current led position is the center.

Adjust yaw and pitch sensitivities as required while keeping in mind that high sensitivities reduce tracking resolution.
Venom #4 10/08/2007 - 06h52

Off line

Thanks for the input kestrel,i've set it up just fine now.But still got a few problems..
Firstly,the IR led i got from a local electronic store is not as good as the OSRAM SFH485P.He said that the IR LED is 5 volt!..Im not sure about that.The led is not wide angled i think cause FreeTrack doesnt track the led very goood.

This leads me to looking for the OSRAM SFH485P but I cant get one locally,and I've checked out farnell.com but the product will no longer be stocked.Any good alternatives for the SFH485P?What about regular LEDs?what specifications do i need to look for regular LEDs?
Edited by Venom on 10/08/2007 at 07h07.
the_target #5 10/08/2007 - 08h55

Programmeur
Class : Programmeur
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line

Farnell still have the SFH485P but the ref changed to 1212738 (RoHS Compliant)

The target
Venom #6 11/08/2007 - 08h23

Off line

Thanks target,

Ill check it out later.Anyways,I've encountered some more problems with freetrack,firstly,the exposure control in the advanced setting wont stay to the minimum,when I unchecked the auto exposure and set the slider to the left most,it will somehow slide back to the right.I've tried reinstalling both freetrack and my webcam driver but still the problem continues.

Oh,and is freetrack a resource hog?I've checked task manager when running freetrack and it uses up to 30% of my cpu!..and no,i don't have any background programs running including my anti virus.any tips to trim down its cpu usage?
Kestrel #7 11/08/2007 - 08h53

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Ill check it out later.Anyways,I've encountered some more problems with freetrack,firstly,the exposure control in the advanced setting wont stay to the minimum,when I unchecked the auto exposure and set the slider to the left most,it will somehow slide back to the right.I've tried reinstalling both freetrack and my webcam driver but still the problem continues.

That's a known (and very annoying) webcam issue, the next version will have the ability to force the exposure to stop the webcam from continually reseting to default (grrr) but it won't necessarily work with all webcams.

Oh,and is freetrack a resource hog?I've checked task manager when running freetrack and it uses up to 30% of my cpu!..and no,i don't have any background programs running including my anti virus.any tips to trim down its cpu usage?

Webcam head tracking is always going to have significant cpu usage.
On a single core P4 3Ghz Freetrack uses ~3% and the webcam streaming uses ~%10 (System process) @ 320x240 I420. This isn't a big deal for dual core when playing single threaded games.

As you can see the majority of the cpu hit is in the webcam streaming which is dependent on drivers, some webcams are more resource hungry than others.
tristan68 #8 11/08/2007 - 09h01

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello Venom

5V forward voltage isn't usual for IR leds (rather strange value), looks more like the reverse voltage.

1.2 to 1.5 V forward voltage is more probable.... You should ask your electronic shop again for value or better for led model # , just to be sure.

Since you already bought your leds, your can try widening their angle by sanding them a bit (worked well for me).

Despite everything, if you're not familiar with electronics, buying a SFH485P remains the best solution ....

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).