FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Need help with setup (first time)

RSS >  Need help with setup (first time)
Dynamic #1 06/06/2015 - 10h19

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 06/06/2015

Off line

Hey guys.

So i've been trying to research some materials that i need for a 3 point tracking system. But I have limited knowledge in this electrical wiring stuff....

So gonna post some links here and show what I want to get.

I found these LED's:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Active-Components/Optoelectronics/Optocouplers/5mm-Infrared-Transmitting-LED/p/ZD1945

I'm confused about the battery, Should i get one of those 9 V batteries or just a AA or AAA battery? I imagine that would affect the type of resistor required? So what battery should i get and what resistor?

I found one of these: (is this required if I use the 9V battery?)  http://www.jaycar.com.au/Passive-Components/Resistors/Carbon-Film/120ohm-1-Watt-5%25-Carbon-Film-Resistor---Pk-2/p/RR2552

PS: I live in Australia, so i'm not looking for items found on american websites (they cost a lot for shipping).

Thanks.
Edited by Dynamic on 06/06/2015 at 10h20.
Stormrider #2 07/06/2015 - 12h44

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

Hi there,
I think those leds will do.Only their viewing angle is only 30 degrees, maybe you need to file them down if you encounter problems with it.
A good alternative for batteries is a usb-backup battery used for smartphones or tablets.
Posted Image

It is rechargable and gives a constant voltage of 5Volt.With batteries the voltage always drops and make your leds fading away.And when this backup battery  is empty?Mine(like the one in the picture) I can charge while Iam using the 5V output.I don't use usb-ports of my pc, just because I don't want to take any risk with my pc.

If you decide to go for 5V(usb powered) you need to connect those leds in serie with a 28 Ohm to drive them on the maximum current of 50mA.
How to calculate the resistor value?
(powersource voltage-total voltage drop of leds)/ prefered current through leds= resistor value
The power dispensation is calculated like this: P=IxIxR

(5v-3,6v)/ 0,05A=28 ohm P= 70mW
(5v-3,6v)/ 0,04A=35 ohm P= 56mW

My advice is buy a few different values.Resistors are not that expensive, but don't use a lower value then 28ohm because it will shorten their life.
Aren't there any shops in Australie who sells SFH 485 P ir-leds?
Posted Image
Dynamic #3 07/06/2015 - 16h42

Off line

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply,

Is these the IR LED? Viewing angle of 40 degrees: http://au.element14.com/osram/sfh485p/ir-emitter-880nm-5mm-radial/dp/1212738?ost=SFH485

As for the resistor, i found this on that same website: http://au.element14.com/multicomp/mf25-30r/resistor-0-25w-1-30r/dp/9341722

I see a 30 ohm resistance there, with 1/4 watts, so it that okay. (minimum order quantity of 50, XD).

For the charger, would a normal plug into the wall samsung charger work? If built this way, would the device need to be connected all the time to the power outlet?

Also, i saw some designs where the whole thing was wired up in parallel instead of series. Is there any advantage of doing that?
Stormrider #4 07/06/2015 - 17h15

Off line

yes, that the right led.The forwarding voltage is 1,5V and the max current is 100mA.Therefor you need different resistor value.
If you want to use 5V( usb-output of something) you can use the values what you in that picture, 6,8 ohm for bright light and 10 ohm for less bright light.

For the charger, would a normal plug into the wall samsung charger work? If built this way, would the device need to be connected all the time to the power outlet?

If it is a smartphone charger with a mini usb it can be use as a powersource.Maybe can you post a picture of it?

This one I use, I have attached to my cap-model.If it is empty(after a long time) I recharge it and put it back to backside of my cap.
Posted Image

Why serie or paralel????
http://www.free-track.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1856
If you don't have enough voltage of you powersource you use paralel, otherwise you use serie.

The resistor we use to limit the current going through your leds.With serie connection you need only one, with parallel you need three resistors.
Dynamic #5 08/06/2015 - 13h20

Off line

Here's the charger:
Posted Image

Apparently it has an output of 5.0V and 2 Amps.

It doesn't have a battery attached to it though.

Have a look at this resistor. Once again, i see that it has the right resistance but i'm not sure about all the other information (like metal film, or tolerance...)

http://au.element14.com/koa-spear-electronics/mfs1-4cc10r0f/resistor-metal-film-0-25w-1-10/dp/1812960
Stormrider #6 08/06/2015 - 17h31

Off line

that charger is good to use as a powersource.
If you buy a back-up battery like thisPosted Image    You can use that charger to charge that battery for powering your leds.
That resistor is also good.Maybe also order a 6,8 ohm??
You need a filter to block normal light.If that filter is to strong, you need brighter light from your leds to make it work.This is were that 6,8 ohm resistor is for.
That is something you will find out when you try it.

The tolerance of that resistor is 1%, this means it has a value between 9,9 ohm and 10.1 ohm
The material were they make a resistor of determines what tolerance it has.
Dynamic #7 09/06/2015 - 06h05

Off line

Would this work without the backup battery. That way the charger will need to be connected all the time while using the LED's correct? Is that harmful or dangerous in anyway or form.

Secondly, is it okay to make all connections between the wires and LED's using electrical tape, or is it necessary to solder? (I've never done soldering before)

Also if I do end up making this thing then are there any risks that I should be worried about? like short circuits or fires? or anything, i don't know
Stormrider #8 09/06/2015 - 17h34

Off line

That way the charger will need to be connected all the time while using the LED's correct? Is that harmful or dangerous in anyway or form.

Yes it need to be connected all the time while using the leds.
If you connect everything in a solid way it is not dangerous at all.You only need a battery-pack if you want to make it wireless.

Secondly, is it okay to make all connections between the wires and LED's using electrical tape, or is it necessary to solder? (I've never done soldering before)

For testing it doesn't matter what you use to make the connenctions, at least I don't care about it whem I make a test setup of something.But when I think it worgks the way it must, I make the connections more permanent.
When you move your head and wires and stuf are not connected good enough then it start to become "dangerous"Incase of a shortcircuit you will smell something :gene:
If you make connections ferm an isolate it good, the chance that something goes wrong will be little.
Maybe you know someone who can solder it for you.Or just try it yourself, for everything there is a first time ;)
You can also use thesePosted Image

Those leds are polarity sensitive, they have a +side and a -side.If you connect them in serie and one is connected wrong,none will light-up!!You can check if they light-up with a smartphone or camera, the human eyes are not capable of seeing ir-light.

regards stormrider
Edited by Stormrider on 09/06/2015 at 17h36.
Dynamic #9 10/06/2015 - 04h19

Off line

In term of software. I have a wiimote lying around which I wanted to use as the camera. I'm going to be playing DCS only with this thing for now. I've heard that the freetrack software has problems with DCS world. If thats the case then do you know if the freetrack software built into FacetrackNoIR supports the Wiimote? or is there any other software which supports the wiimote and works well with DCS?

Thanks for all the help.
Stormrider #10 10/06/2015 - 19h31

Off line

If ftnoir works with a wii-remote?Idon't know, I have never tried it.Freetrack with a wii-remote I tried it, but I had a lot of problems with the loosing connection.
In 2008 you could benifit from using a wii-remote because it did't use any resources of your pc..Nowadays it doesn't matter that much because CPU's are much faster and pc's have much more ram inside.
I think you are better off with a(second hand, cheap) webcam.look in the list for a type of webcam which will work with freetrack.
http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/camera.php?PHPSESSID=a7554769c87827928fcd416fa800ee82

I don't play DCS, so I can't tell you how to make freetrack with DCS.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11860
http://naturalpointofview.blogspot.nl/p/trackirfixer.html
and I think if you use google you will find maybe a sollution.
jasoniumh #11 12/06/2015 - 23h39

Registered on : 12/11/2014

Off line

Dude... I dont want to lead you astray but.... 3 infrared leds from three random remotes... wired in series (Edit... Parrallell) to a single AAA battery - thats it!. You dont even need a swith.. just poip the battery out, I used one 'cuase it was lying around..

I use a single rechargable battery, last for hours and hours... and hours.. well mine do. Its nothing to rip the battery out and jam in a new one on the fly . I've been using the same clip since my test build... I have no reason to make a better one... I dont know if I could... food for thought.  But then I still use the rudder pedals I built for testing (complete with yarn driven pot).

I know I "should" use a resistor... but why use more than 1.5 volts? Its light, as compact as anything I've seen here or anywhere and I made mine from next to nothing.. I think I bought a black garden straw looking thing for watering systems. .5 forward voltage... x 3.... 1.5 volts... TADAAAA!

If I'm wrong- please inform my tracking clip so it can stop defying nature immediately lol.

Have fun...
Edited by jasoniumh on 13/06/2015 at 00h11.
Dynamic #12 13/06/2015 - 13h24

Off line

Yeah I could try a simple build before the proper one. So you just used a single rechargeable AAA battery with the SFH485P LED's? with no resistors.

I need to see if this works with DCS at all. So yeh I think i'll give it a shot later.
Stormrider #13 13/06/2015 - 13h57

Off line

Yeah I could try a simple build before the proper one. So you just used a single rechargeable AAA battery with the SFH485P LED's? with no resistors.

you are right.If your powersource provides more voltage then the forwarding voltage of your led, you need a resistor to limit the current going through.
Some leds have forwarding voltage of 1,2Volt.If you use 1,5volt powersource you should use a resistor.

All what  jasoniumh has written is right, only a different approach.
All ir-leds are useable for freetrack, but I think that those SFH485P leds are one of the best.For 3 leds in serie you need at least a powersource of 4,5 volt(3x AAorAAA)If it is less then 4,5Volt you must use a parallel circuit.
Keep in mind that normal batteries are 1,5Volt and most rechargable are only 1,2Volt.
If you want to use only one battery you must make a parallel circuit.But every led will use 100mA and and how long it will last untill the battery is empty you will find out if you try.
Edited by Stormrider on 13/06/2015 at 14h00.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Need help with setup (first time)

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).