FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > LED's not bright enough in PS3/Freetrack

RSS >  LED's not bright enough in PS3/Freetrack
brutetrack #1 25/03/2015 - 17h06

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 15/03/2015

Off line

Hey guys..

So I kinda finished the electronics for my Clip prototype. And the Leds are not bright enough in Freetrack. (They look bright in my phones camera)

So what can I do?

I use the PS3 Cam toy with floppy disc in Front of the lense.

Shall I now take out the IR filter of the PS3 cam and put the Floppy disc stuff between lense and chip?

I am operating the LEDS with no transistor and a USB charger (5.25V). So the Leds are pretty bright when I watch them in my camera phone.

Could operating the leds with no transistor lead to failure in a long term?

best regards
Stormrider #2 25/03/2015 - 17h22

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

hi,
operating without any resistor is possible as long as you don't exceed the max forwarding current of your leds and ofcourse running them on the max will shorten their life.
Probably is the ir-filter of your ps3-eye to strong and you need to remove it.But becareful with  removing that filter, there are bad type ps3-eyes were it is very difficult to remove the filter.
http://www.peauproductions.com/blog/2009/04/17/the-two-types-of-ps3-eye-stock-lenses-pictures-of-each/

I trashed my ps3-eye with modifying, but gave new life to it by purchasing a new already modified lense for my ps3-eye.You can find it on the same website.
brutetrack #3 25/03/2015 - 19h03

Off line

Thanks buddy,

I am lucky I buyed it used (in germany) and I got a good one. I have the one with the curved glas. So I'll try it myself
Stormrider #4 25/03/2015 - 19h07

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

What went wrong with my ps3-eye was, it should have been a good type but that ir-filter had also a smal lense function.Si when the ir-filter was out it was way out of focus and not useable anymore.Shipping from the USA to the Netherlands cost me more then a new ps3-eye but saved me the time and possible problems.

good luck brutetrack :D
Edited by Stormrider on 04/05/2015 at 18h24.
brutetrack #5 25/03/2015 - 19h20

Off line

Thanks!
MsG #6 03/05/2015 - 23h50

Registered on : 16/10/2014

Off line

When you remove the ir filter the lense of the ps3 always gets out of focus because the focus point changes. You should change the zoom of the camera in between the two default stands to correct this and your ps3 cam will be perfectly usable.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > LED's not bright enough in PS3/Freetrack

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).