FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack frequent crash with overmovement of head

RSS >  Freetrack frequent crash with overmovement of head
Falco #1 15/12/2007 - 02h35

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 27/10/2007

Off line

If I move only 2-3 times my head too much (out of FT range) it stop to work (virtual head visual fixed on bottom) and the only way is to exit from the game, stop and re-start Freetrack :(... All this it's very annoying and I wonder if there is a chance to avoid this, for example to have a resume button (batch programmed file?) that make a re-start without have to click on "X" of FT console and "start" again.
Kestrel #2 15/12/2007 - 03h04

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Using 3 point cap?

Do you get 'NAN' displayed in the data bar?
Falco #3 15/12/2007 - 18h32

Registered on : 27/10/2007

Off line

Pardon Kestrel, yes 3-led cap here,

Yes it give me NAN error, but after my post I changed the model dimension parameters and, even if I've inserted wrong parameters (+5 and +10  for top led height) now work ok..very strange however.(?).. but may be useful and sure if would be possible however to program a button-resume in the keyboard during gaming as I suggested ..if this not concern  a complete re-built of the software obviously ;)
Edited by Falco on 15/12/2007 at 18h35.
Seilfly #4 13/01/2008 - 03h50

Registered on : 13/01/2008

Off line

Greetings. I am using a 3 point side light and
I have the same problem, I get an overflow NAN error if I move my head too much... like looking down at the keyboard or off to the side. I have not been able to resolve it by adjusting settings. The Red lights are bright in the display without any interference, jitter is low at 10 or less. Any suggestions?
Jazzer #5 14/01/2008 - 20h00

Registered on : 10/11/2007

Off line

I used to get this as well but I have found that disabling roll on my profiles has all but stopped it happening.
J :)
Seilfly #6 15/01/2008 - 00h53

Off line

Thanks, Jazzer.
I don't need the roll function either, so I'll give it a try and report back with my results in a day or two. If anyone else has run into this error and solved it by other methods, please pitch in, I'd like to know. Ole
babasior #7 15/01/2008 - 08h38

Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Falco @ 15/12/2007 - 19h32 a dit:

Pardon Kestrel, yes 3-led cap here,

Yes it give me NAN error, but after my post I changed the model dimension parameters and, even if I've inserted wrong parameters (+5 and +10  for top led height) now work ok..very strange however.(?)..

Seilfly @ 13/01/2008 - 04h50 a dit:

Greetings. I am using a 3 point side light and
I have the same problem, I get an overflow NAN error if I move my head too much... like looking down at the keyboard or off to the side. I have not been able to resolve it by adjusting settings. The Red lights are bright in the display without any interference, jitter is low at 10 or less. Any suggestions?

I have the same type of error (NAN error). I must stop tracking, closed freetrack, restart-it and tracking, and NAN error disaspear ....
@Falco and Seilfly : If you go in your freetrack.ini, after NAN error, please give  us values of [center] section ....
I think they will be the same ...

I have seen this kind of error with 3 dots cap only (not with 3 dots clip ...)

can you send us a video of moment of NAN error ...
you can use free program to do that like for example :
http://camstudio.org/             (please, don't forget to compress it for a small size, or share it by youtube or other ...)
post the link on this topic ...

For me NAN error is rare, i can reproduce it when i turn my head on right and  look back .... (at high rotation (yaw) level ...)

We need feedback about this bug to try to solved it. Thanks to all.
PolTen #8 16/01/2008 - 14h47

Registered on : 16/01/2008

Off line

Hi, I'am having this problem with an A4Tech PK-335MB camera and 3 dot cap model.  The first times I tried the software, it worked fine, and made adjustiments in the parameters, but from one day to another I got the NAN messages, and teh soft failed to trac poperly; if I continue using the soft after I got the NAN, it crash, and have to restart the soft or reboot the computer.
PolTen #9 21/01/2008 - 21h46

Off line

I tried the workaround described by Falco about giving FT wrong parameters, but instead of the height, I added +3 to the depth of the top led, and it seems to be working, even in the roll axis.  I'll do some more tests and I'll coment about them.
mehmetbeyoglu #10 24/01/2008 - 09h51

Registered on : 24/01/2008

Off line

I've got the same problem here too, the skull is freezing to rotate or software crashes without no reason and it is not rare it is %100 only the time changes which lets me play. like (1 to 60 minutes) I am using 3 points cap and it seems or feels like it crashes after overmovements especially when i am trying to look at the edges.

Is there any improvement yet?
PolTen #11 24/01/2008 - 14h30

Off line

Hi mehmetbeyoglu; as far as I know there is no improvement to the software yet, but yesterday I flew an IL-2 coop mission using Falco's workaround and it worked almost perfectly (have to make some fine adjustments to the sensibility and axes yet) without any crash or freezing.
It is a whole new world, and with a price 10 times lower than a TrackIR ;D
These guys deserve a monument ^^
Seilfly #12 30/01/2008 - 17h26

Off line

I have seen this kind of error with 3 dots cap only (not with 3 dots clip ...)

can you send us a video of moment of NAN error ...

Thank you, babasior.
I have a 3-clip light that is accurately made. I have time this coming weekend to emulate the problem and will send you a screen shot and values in the .ini section as soon as I get them.

Also I'll send a picture of my 3 light clip, which I think you'll like.
Cheers, Ole

PS. It's a brilliant program, thank you for all your efforts in making it available!
babasior #13 30/01/2008 - 21h14

Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

If i understand, you have this problem with "3 dots Cap"  ...
Some people had this problem with "3dots Clip" too (but few)

----- To help you ----
Some people tell us, that they solved NAN error by changing Model dimentions (not as her real model dimentions) ...
But for me that doesn't work ... (and i don't think it's a good solution because of mouvements precison ... )

Try to delete in your Freetrack.ini values on [center] section, before you start freetrack ...
If freetrack doesn't work after that, delete freetrack.ini file and launch freetrack.exe (you will need to configure freetrack again ...)

If you have an external USB Webcam device, try to unplug it, and plug on another USB dock ...

If nothing work, reboot your computer and restart freetrack ...

----- For FreeTrack debbug -----
Please, when you have a NAN error, after closed freetrack, post your freetrack.ini [center] section values here ...
It can be interresting to compared them ...
(i think they will be the same ... But perhaps not ...)

please, tell us if you have a NAN error, on wich axis (yaw ? pitch ? roll ?) !

Thanks to all for sharing yours datas.
Zagupi #14 04/02/2008 - 00h18

Registered on : 04/02/2008

Off line

For me, Freetrack seems to crash quite easily if I do rapid head movements
or turn my head to extreme positions. Sometimes it crashes quickly,
other times it takes a bit more time.

I copy-pasted lines from my Freetrack.ini, from times when freetrack crashed.
It crashes in two ways. Usually it performs an illegal operation and windows
shuts it down with an error message.
Some times though it doesn't "crash", but the tracking hangs. The head rotation
tracking doesn't work any more, only the X,Y,Z-translation. At those times I see
NAN in the rotation values.

I'm using a 3-points cap model. Freetrack 2.1
Windows XP Home edition. Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000 as the camera.

Crash 1

[center]
Yaw=146055
Pitch=-88242
Roll=-172
X=47895
Y=295198
Z=2639778

Crash 2

[center]
Yaw=146055
Pitch=-88242
Roll=-172
X=47895
Y=295198
Z=2639778

didn't crash, but tracking stalled.
NAN in all rotation axes, translation still works.

[center]
Yaw=145601
Pitch=-88693
Roll=-715
X=20301
Y=260504
Z=2606130

I increased the "Z depth" of the top LED in the setup-screen,
and it seemed a bit harder to cause freetrack to crash this time. (I'm not sure, the crash time varies and might not depend on the model dimensions-setting)
The crash occurred the same way as in the third crash in this list.

Back with the original model dimensions. Crash occurred easier.

[center]
Yaw=148687
Pitch=-67224
Roll=414
X=77319
Y=440200
Z=2658827

Original dimensions. Easy crash again. Crash type same as 3,5.

Crash took a bit longer to make.

[center]
Yaw=147602
Pitch=-88626
Roll=-744
X=-101979
Y=307092
Z=2605038

NAN-crash, as in 3,5,8.
I forgot that you want the [center]-readings from these too.
Voilà!

[center]
Yaw=145049
Pitch=-99783
Roll=1025
X=72963
Y=90682
Z=3546758
mehmetbeyoglu #15 04/02/2008 - 07h58

Registered on : 24/01/2008

Off line

In my first installment of freetrack i was new to it and tried to make a new profile for lockon which suits me well. I dont know what has happened then but the tracking system all got crazy. (roll, pitch, yaw, x,yz to 20) It was crashing in the first minutes or was hanging immediately also when i was rotating for downwards the tracking was instantly jumping sideways like there was a rigit object under my chin.

Then I decided a fresh install. This solved the jumping problem. Seem to me a file (probably the ini) corrupted. Then I phisically adjust the dimensions of my 3 points cap device. this also reduced the hangs and crashes. Finally i am adjusting the position of my camera every time i start free track to center the 3 points. These all extend the time but still crashes and hangs.

Tested in the Loc-On

1. Moving the lights out of the camera sight from more then one time frequently
2. Just after over, rapid or fast head movements.
3. When I try to look at my back in the plane.
seems to make the software crash or hang most times.
4. but if you do them in combo it always immediately crashes.

I kindly ask for an error handling code for these exremities and a restart/reset key config (auto will be better) when it hangs as I have to
quit and restart the software everytime. (Need to alt-tab the game also)

Freetracking Device;
I am using 3 points cap with a Logitech Quickcam for notebooks (not a wide angle camera). White bright Leds with 120 degrees of illumination.

Auto exposure closed to 0

Vista Enterprise.

Hardware:
HP nc8430 with 1.87 intel core 2 duo,
256 mb ati radeon x1600 (up-to-date drivers), 4 gb of mem.
Edited by mehmetbeyoglu on 04/02/2008 at 08h28.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack frequent crash with overmovement of head

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).