FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > What are the advantages of using IR Led ?

RSS >  What are the advantages of using IR Led ?
silenthunter #1 02/11/2007 - 13h08

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 02/11/2007

Off line

Hello.
What are the advantages of using IR Led ?
How can I make sure if my webcam can catch IR Led ? My webcam can catch  light of IR Led of TV remote controller. Is it ok for catching SFH485P?
Thanks
babasior #2 02/11/2007 - 13h53

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

first advantage :
- You can use your freetrack system in light environment ...  (it's difficult to do that with no IR leds but not impossible ... You must use filter on your webcam ...)

SFH485P has a wide angle (80°)! So it's very easy to have a good tracking with this type of led (standard led only has 20 - 40°)
einsena #3 02/11/2007 - 14h24

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

for me the advantage of using IR LED other then the fact that it permits greater tracking capabilities, is that it also aesthetically more pleasing to look at, i always feel goofy when i wear my 4 point regular LED cap  :p
tristan68 #4 02/11/2007 - 16h20

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello silenthunter

1st advantage :

For Freetrack to work, you need to get in the freetrack cam window a high contrast image in which only the markers are visible on a black (or red if you use I420) background.

This is much easier achieved by using IR leds and putting a kind a visible light filter in front of your webcam.

2nd advantage :

With IR leds , you can't get led beam reflections on your screen (really disturbing IMO when you use standard leds, ie red leds), or to be more accurate , you can't see the beam reflections  :p .

Cya

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > What are the advantages of using IR Led ?

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).