FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > General Discussion > Improve! Make better than trackIR! / +Launchpad

RSS >  Improve! Make better than trackIR! / +Launchpad, bright idea to improve FreeTrack massively
Scipione #1 08/11/2011 - 16h52

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 26/03/2009

Off line

T think that we must put FreeTrack on launchpad...

https://launchpad.net/

Here's my idea to improve FreeTrack and to make TrackIR obsolete:

1.Foreword

I knew tha FreeTrack is only for windows, for some games. I had a lot of issues the last times I tried to use it, after bought the PS3Eye an spent weeks for building 3point clips, and weeks trying to get FreeTrack to work. Finally I gived up... the flight simulation! I have HOTAS Cougar, Pedals, a top-edge computer and licences for LOMAC fc2 and X-Plane... but I lost the hope to move my head in the game without gift money to natural Point (and I'm an engineer, not a stupid kid xD ).

2. Synopsis

- FreeTrack is only for Windows;
- FreeTrack is only for some titles;
- FreeTrack is not user-friendly;
- I apreciate A LOT the work of those people who worked hard, gratis, to develop freetrack.

3. Ehat about my suggestions

- Make FreeTrack more 'open':
  - portable (WinXP, Vista, W7, Linux, Mac, either x86 and x64);
  - not only for games or simulators (also motion capture, touchscreen, xperiments, etc.);
- make FreeTrack more user-friendly;
- beats Natural Point xD

4. What is needed to do this

a) Enlarge the comunity of users, supporters and developers
- sharing the source code, and with the intent to make freetrack portable to all OS and for other usings, the involved people will augmentate;
- doing a recruiting campaign for the developer comunity searching in comunity of open source game developers, but also non-official modding comunities (think about freefalcon, Openfalcon, etc.);

b) Organizing better the work:
- putting freeTrack with theese goals on LaunchPad;
- adding a wiki with the documentation of usage, source code and algorithms;

c) Creating a comunity intended to write open source drivers (or modifications) to use more friendly the available webcams.

I hope you will take the challenge!!!!!!!!

Carlo
dutch #2 10/12/2011 - 09h47

Registered on : 11/04/2008

Off line

The future is NO HEADSET, like facetracknoir. I think the only way to survive is the use of MicroSoft-Kinect system.  Software is made open for develpments en a new Kinect will be released for Windows.
albx #3 13/12/2011 - 12h50

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 26/08/2010

Off line

dutch @ 10/12/2011 - 10h47 a dit:

The future is NO HEADSET, like facetracknoir. I think the only way to survive is the use of MicroSoft-Kinect system.  Software is made open for develpments en a new Kinect will be released for Windows.

this is not precise and responsive like a head tracking with leds, so I think in no way you can replace it.
dutch #4 13/12/2011 - 17h55

Off line

The kinect is very precise, if developments would occur inhere you can even control your game with a eyebrow!!

I went from Freetrack to Facetracknoir, believe me facetracknoir is much simpler to use and you do not need a complex setup, no not working bluetooth drivers, not Wii mote holder or remove Webcam IR filter.

I'm not going back to freetrack.
albx #5 16/12/2011 - 13h59

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 26/08/2010

Off line

dutch @ 13/12/2011 - 18h55 a dit:

The kinect is very precise, if developments would occur inhere you can even control your game with a eyebrow!!

I went from Freetrack to Facetracknoir, believe me facetracknoir is much simpler to use and you do not need a complex setup, no not working bluetooth drivers, not Wii mote holder or remove Webcam IR filter.

I'm not going back to freetrack.

No way to buy a kinect. The freetrack philosofy is to use any existing simple webcam to build a head tracking device, and not spend hundreds of euro to buy a kinect. If, as you said, you will never use freetrack again, why are you on this forum? go Facetracknoir's forum. As I can see from the messages you posted here, you are only sponsoring facetracknoir, and all others are only useless posts.
Edited by albx on 16/12/2011 at 14h01.
dutch #6 17/12/2011 - 17h29

Off line

Why can I not reply here for Freetrack improvements, or is this exclusive for freetrack owners and not for people who have used this?
Last Freetrack is updated on November-2008 BTW!   :snif:
Steph #7 19/12/2011 - 09h16

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Of course you can reply.

But sorry, i've tried both and for shure, Facetracknoir software is yet far away from Freetrack for plane simulators. Perhaps you simply have not find good adjustments.
I agree with you, with Freetrack you need some time to figure out how it works and how to set up good settings. But I even got a Track-ir 4 in a drawer that I don't use, because I cannot find the same good specific settings like in the Freetrack software. (By the way: Track-ir camera works fine with Freetrack too.) ;)
Edited by Steph on 19/12/2011 at 09h24.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > General Discussion > Improve! Make better than trackIR! / +Launchpad

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).