FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > "head mouse" anyone here tried this?

RSS >  "head mouse" anyone here tried this?
tony #1 22/10/2007 - 20h25

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 08/10/2007

Off line

i found this tool, http://nipg.inf.elte.hu/headmouse/headmouse.html

its a simple program that just requires a webcam.  it works ok but it just feel a bit primitive, seems ok for flight sims but maybe not for FPS's where acuracy is required.
from my newbie post below ive been havin probs findin out exactly what i need to get freetrack goin as i have zero experience with electronics.

my question is can people give this program a shot and tell me if its as good as freetrack as i believe in principle it the same thing, minus all the hassle
Kestrel #2 23/10/2007 - 02h01

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Headmouse:
*too dependent on lighting conditions
*requires strong light to see the face
*max fps requires a low exposure which makes the face hard to see
*facial feature tracking is computationally intensive
*questionable tracking accuracy using unreliable and poorly defined facial features that vary with lighting and perspective.
*doesn't use TrackIR interface
*only emulates mouse
*limited to 2 degrees of freedom

You could always take the trial and error approach to making a circuit Tony. Battery + leds is all it is. It's about as easy as electrical circuits come.
einsena #3 23/10/2007 - 02h14

Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

tony @ 22/10/2007 - 22h25 a dit:

i found this tool, http://nipg.inf.elte.hu/headmouse/headmouse.html

its a simple program that just requires a webcam.  it works ok but it just feel a bit primitive, seems ok for flight sims but maybe not for FPS's where acuracy is required.
from my newbie post below ive been havin probs findin out exactly what i need to get freetrack goin as i have zero experience with electronics.

my question is can people give this program a shot and tell me if its as good as freetrack as i believe in principle it the same thing, minus all the hassle

hmm nice find, it works quite well, tracks my face flawlessly. only downside i found is that this program would require quite an extensive amount of lighting or a high end webcam in order for it to be able to track at >15FPS.

because webcams nowdays(cheap ones) woulds stutter if the exposure and gain setting is increased, and since this program tracks sections of your face it would require a clear and viewable picture of you.

then theres the plugins problem, since this is an alpha version software it doesn't have many plugins that would enable it to interface with most games. for now i only support mouse pointer emulator.
tony #4 23/10/2007 - 07h19

Registered on : 08/10/2007

Off line

so fretrack performs a lot better than this?  i would give freetrack a go finding the components is hard.   there isnt a local shop that sells this stuff so i must buy online.  in my other thread below people advised me where to get the correct led's but not where to get the correct resistor or battery pack.

if someone could link me to all the stuff i need. preferebly from one  uk site then i could get started on freetrack.
einsena #5 23/10/2007 - 09h45

Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

tony @ 23/10/2007 - 09h19 a dit:

so fretrack performs a lot better than this?  i would give freetrack a go finding the components is hard.   there isnt a local shop that sells this stuff so i must buy online.  in my other thread below people advised me where to get the correct led's but not where to get the correct resistor or battery pack.

if someone could link me to all the stuff i need. preferebly from one  uk site then i could get started on freetrack.

well freetrack is already streamlined for use with most webcams and games out there, the only downside of freetrack is of course the need to build your own cap/clip, but once you get all of the needed components it should not be to hard to build.

if you are having a lot of trouble finding the needed component then perhaps this would help:

http://freetrack.online.fr/forum/index.php?showtopic=45

he got some pretty good feedback from the people that bought the needed components from him.

in my country (Indonesia) there are lots of electronic store that sells much of the components needed, heck even some local supermarkets sells some of the components. the trickiest part of the build for me is to figure out what kind of resistor i need. but again it should not be to hard to looks for support here, the guys here at this forum tend to be quite helpful :D

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > "head mouse" anyone here tried this?

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).