FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  I've got GRID with 2DOF
rogermorse #1 22/05/2008 - 19h18

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 11/05/2008

Off line

:)

All is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWgCKV41juU

works pretty well in DEMO!

I will try the complete version, I guess it will not be the same, but it will be better!

Will 6DOF be available in full version?
didja #2 22/05/2008 - 19h51

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Wow, this game looks terrific and well-designed !

Happy to see that you got it working ! ;)

Will 6DOF be available in full version?

Unfortunately, we can't help but wait for  GRID's team to make their game compatible with TrakcIR/FreeTrack... :wacko:

Rémy
Posted Image
rogermorse #3 22/05/2008 - 22h22

Off line

The point is that GRID is ALREADY compatible with trackIR.

In the demo, you can see the option "enable helmet cam". Of course if I enable it, it doesn't work. So I had to bind controls as the video shows, and try to emulate it.

I wonder how will freetrack be compatible with GRID. I don't know the normal games (such as DIRT) how do they work with freetrack...if freetrack just works as trackIR or if freetrack team has to make a game compatible with the freetrack software.

I'm just sure that the game is already playable with freetrack software (emulation), 2DOF, for now :D

We'll see in the future, but there are some points of freetrack compatible titles that are not well explained in my mind (read above) ^^

Here is another vid, multiplayer gameplay :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSGR01zvMes
Z3R0B4NG #4 13/06/2008 - 00h57

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 12/06/2008

Off line

thanks for the vid  i finally got it working now :)
( just finished my FreeTrack Headset setup today  :D  )

could you post some Screenshots of your settings please?
in the video your mooving seems much smoother then my settings are... :-/
rogermorse #5 13/06/2008 - 13h10

Off line

So I was wrong...codemaster HAS NOT given us support for track ir / freetrack in full version of GRID.

Damn!!!!

On official codemasters forum, we are alla asking for TrackIR support, but codemasters hasn't made it yet, with the patch 1.1 neither....

ZEROBANG: I don't think that my screenshots would help you. What's your problem with settings? I can tell you that ALL depends on how you calibrate the virtual joystick. I saw that it was impossible for me to get a good result, by only setting the freetrack sensitivity and curves. Calibrate well your virtual joystick. Then you will notice that Freetrack settings will work better, and your smoothness and sensitivity will result in a good in-game head tracking ;)

However, the virtual joystick 2 DOF is not comparable with an OFFICIAL 6 DOF or 2-3DOF support....codemasters, it is a shame, why didn't you put TrackIR 6 DOF support in GRID, if you already did it for DiRT ?

I don't think it was such a difficult thing to do....the engine is the same.

ZEROBANG: if you need any further info / screenshot, write. Actually, I didn't understand what settings you need.
Kestrel #6 13/06/2008 - 14h55

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

GRID was primarily made for consoles without any regard for head tracking so the internal view model is very small and inadequate for 6dof. No excuse for not permitting 2dof though...
Z3R0B4NG #7 13/06/2008 - 16h58

Off line

Well CMR Dirt uses the same engine and is also multiplatform, they just didn't care enough.

Whatever if that damn deadzone could be removed somehow (modding?) it would be perfect 2-DOF with the solution that you have here.

The Deadzone realy takes much fun out of it :-/

//edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPNpVqKwHec

well i still think that isn't smooth enough (in your video it looks WAY smoother)
can you please just show me all game specific settings in FreeTrack you made?
Edited by Z3R0B4NG on 14/06/2008 at 02h18.
rogermorse #8 14/06/2008 - 11h01

Off line

It doesn't seem so bad as you say. You should make a movie of a head turn, without racingon the car, otherwise it's difficult to see what kind of deadzone you have got.

The only thing I can say for sure is that, with the same emulation software (ppjoy) and same calibration, BMW M3 Challenge is much smoother than GRID. GRID, it's true, has this deadzone, I don't know why, but it's a pity, because in BMW M3 Challenge the emulation looks just like a REAL 3-DOF support (yaw pitch roll), and you really don't care that it's not a support, but only an emulation (no deadzone at all).

These are my settings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/rogermorse/freetrack_GRID.jpg

But these settings may make your headtracking worse, instead of better. Because all depends of how you calibrate your virtual joystick. And also of the type of your clip or cap (measures).

You can try the settings, but it's not sure that they will improve your GRID 2dof.

In the game there are no settings to change, you can just bind controls, all you have to change is in freetrack settings and in PP joy calibration. Once you have well calibrated, to avoid deadzone you have to properly set freetrack sensitivity in the freetrack profile (you don't need to change GLOBAL settings), and curves. Enable only 2 axes, you don't need further axys.

But again my question: why is there in GRID the option "HELMET CAM" ? I thought this option was related to TrackIR support. But it is not....
Z3R0B4NG #9 14/06/2008 - 16h44

Off line

I think Helmet Cam is for the Gamepads.

For Example i use an Xbox 360 Gamepad in GRID, when you move the right Analog Stick you look arround like with TrackIR 2-DOF  ...actually most of the 360 racing Games have that function on the right Stick.

That option is to disable the headmoving at all so you get more respect points in the Game (if i understand it right what option you mean) ...which is completeley Stupid.

and thx for the screens i will try arround some more with it later (for example i see allready that your curves are way diffrent to mine).
rogermorse #10 14/06/2008 - 22h29

Off line

as the video shows, the curves are like that because of the deadzone. To avoid deadzone, you need a curve that allows you to have many rotation virtual degrees with fewer real head rotation degrees. So that is, when you turn the head a little, the virtual movement is already big (just beginning), so you feel less deadzone.

Try different proportion head degrees / virtual degrees, till you find the correct curve so you don't feel the deadzone anymore.
rogermorse #11 15/06/2008 - 19h43

Off line

ok, this is the same race. I don't think there are big differences between your profile and mine (I mean as what it result in game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1_Go4NhJzI
mirak #12 16/09/2009 - 09h27

Registered on : 02/09/2009

Off line

hello,

for me yawn pitch and roll works perfectly, however on translations on x y z, there is some kind of huge dead zone.

if I move on x, it's not smooth, it's almost on/off and the view just bumps brutaly without transition, while trackir really gives smooth values.

It's like there is some constraint, and a force that prevent you to move, and sudenly it releases.
Edited by mirak on 16/09/2009 at 09h28.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).