FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Overall CPU Usage, Freetrack/System

RSS >  Overall CPU Usage, Freetrack/System
ginger #1 14/01/2008 - 11h07

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 14/01/2008

Off line

Greetings!

First of all thank you very much for making such a great programm! Love it, its an awesome job you are doing here! TrackIR is too expensive. But i have a problem and want to hear your thoughts and knowledge. Iam reading here in the forums since a few days. Bought now two different web cams and tried it out with an single active LED (bicycle cat-eye).

My problem is the CPU usage.

First webcam
(Speed-Link Square Webcam)
http://www.speed-link.de/prod.php?lang=en&sys_id=8&pb_id=9&prod_num=SL-6810

The system process was at 0% CPU usage. Freetrack or AMCap were at 30-45 % CPU Usage. If i have analyzed this correctly the CPU usage depends on how many FPS you get from the cam, i could choose that with this exposure slide. Ok, i have keep reading here in the forums and bought now another webcam:

Second Webcam
(Trust WB-1400T)
http://www.trust.com/products/product_detail.aspx?item=14382&section=main

With that Cam the CPU usage from Freetrack or AMCap dropped to 1 - 3 % CPU usage but the system process went to 30 - 45 % CPU usage (depends again on FPS from the cam).

I have a single core CPU, AMD 3500+ (Venice, 2200 real Mhz).

I have read here in the forums people say something like "1-5" overall CPU usage. I have tried now two webcams and the high CPU Usage stays, only went over to other processes (Freetrack > System | System > Freetrack). Is this something normal? I thought the whole thing would take just 3-7 % CPU usage. Do webcams need so much CPU power?

Screenshot, Trust WB-1400T, FreeTrack minimized
Posted Image

Please help and share your knowledge, experience...
Edited by ginger on 14/01/2008 at 11h12.
Trooper_747 #2 20/01/2008 - 12h34

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 20/09/2007

Off line

Hi Ginger i seem to have the exact problem you have, i'm running a AMD 3200+ and looks like Freetrack consumes too much CPU  :(  I'm running a Creative Vista Plus webcam and i was wondering what the problem is before i go out and get me another webcam? The picture shows the CPU usage with Freetrack minimized :(   Please help...  how do we get around this?  Thank you in advance :)

Posted Image
babasior #3 20/01/2008 - 13h28

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Try to change priority process from "realtime" to "normal" or less ...

Posted Image
Edited by babasior on 20/01/2008 at 13h33.
Kestrel #4 21/01/2008 - 01h12

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

ginger @ 14/01/2008 - 12h07 a dit:

If i have analyzed this correctly the CPU usage depends on how many FPS you get from the cam,

Since you want maximum fps the best way to reduce cpu usage is to reduce the webcam resolution as stated in the Software FAQ.

Do webcams need so much CPU power?

Webcams can be fairly demanding, some moreso than others.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Overall CPU Usage, Freetrack/System

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).