FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Arma 2 and FreeTrack version 2.1
Spectre #1 15/04/2016 - 15h57

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 18/08/2013

Off line

I've tried searching the usual resources, but can't find a definitive answer as to whether v2.1 of FreeTrack will work with Arma 2. For some reason FreeTrack v2.2 did not work for me in any of my flight sims whereas v2.1 works flawlessly in all of them.  I've got the Steam version of Arma 2 OA and, from what I've read and seen on YouTube, others have managed to get FreeTrack working with it, but I must be doing something wrong.  I never get a FreeTrack option in the Controls menu and read in the BI forums where someone indicated they got it working when they went to v2.2.
Stormrider #2 15/04/2016 - 17h23

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

If you are using win7/8/10, try it with UAC turned of.UserAccoutControl sometimes prevents games to see freetrack or freetrack seeing the game.
A lot of games keeps being updated but freetrack not(since 2008).Iam sure that freetrack can work with Arma2 but sometimes it is easier to just try something else like Opentrack.Freetrack has more function but maybe you don't miss them.
Opentrack>>  Spoilerhttps://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases/tag/opentrack-2.3-rc21p11]
Spectre #3 16/04/2016 - 13h39

Off line

I appreciate the suggestion, Stormrider.  Since the Arma 2 package was acquired via Steam, I presume turning off the UAC after the fact would require an uninstall/reinstall of the package.  One post I ran across in the BI forums seemed to suggest one user got FreeTrack working in Arma 2 after he switched to v2.2.  I don't know why 2.2 won't work for me and, frankly, since 2.1 works so well, I haven't tried 2.2 again.  Posts in their forum suggest there should have been an patch update to Arma 2 that provided support for FreeTrack, but I see no evidence of it.  I've been amazed at how well FreeTrack works in all my flight sims.  FreeTrack isn't the only issue I can't get working in Arma 2, I can't get my HOTAS to work even though my stick, throttle and rudder pedals are recognized in the Controls setup.  No show-stopper if I can't get these gadgets to work in Arma, but it would be nice.  Thanks again.
Stormrider #4 16/04/2016 - 15h01

Off line

You only need to uninstall freetrack, turn off uac and install freetrack again.Some games use encryption and therefor newer and still devoloped software like opentrack has no problems with it and is in case of problems a better choice.
But this helps you http://naturalpointofview.blogspot.nl/p/trackirfixer.html

A downloaded game from steam can be backed-up to dvd or harddisk so you don't need to download it again.

cheers stormrider
Spectre #5 24/04/2016 - 17h03

Off line

I followed the link Stormrider provided to trackirfixer, but that site says "BattlEye incompatible. FreeTrack interface available (from 1.05 revision 60457)".   I try running it anyway and it says it's "searching for running TrackIR games", but never finds any.  I tried launching Arma 2 OA, then alt-tabbing out to run TrackIRfixer with the same results.  After searching numerous forums, I ran across one that showed setting a value of "1" in the cfg file to turn FreeTrack on.  I get the impression that implementation of BattlEye into Arma 2 may have been the undoing for Arma 2 support whereas version 1.05 revision 60457 had it.  I"m showing version 1.63.0.131129 currently.  One post I read talked about dropping the FreeTrack Client.dll into the Arma 2 directory, but other posts say that should not be necessary.
Stormrider #6 27/04/2016 - 09h16

Off line

Have you tried it with UAC turned off?
If so the only thing I can say now is give Opentrack a try.
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases/download/opentrack-2.3-rc21p11/opentrack-2.3-rc21p11-win32-setup.exe
Freetrack is already 8 years not updated and a lot of things has changed after the release of Freetrack.

In a previous post you mention that you can't get your joystick recognised in Arma.
Are you using win10??
If so if you connect your joystick to your pc it gives it an ID.It is possible that your os  has given your joystick an different  ID then it has in your game.
This happend also to me when I upgraded from win7 to win10.
It seems that win 10 is doing things different then win7 regarding that.
Spectre #7 27/04/2016 - 15h12

Off line

Hi, Stormrider!  I disabled UAC, uninstalled FreeTrack v2.1, installed v2.2, but as has been my previous experience, v2.2 appears to load and then stops responding.  I uninstalled v2.2 (UAC still disabled) and reinstalled v2.1 which gets FT working for me again. However, it's still not showing up in Arma 2 OA under controller options although it does list TrackIR as available.  I've tried it with and without the check in the box for Enhanced TrackIR in the FT settings, neither makes a difference.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate and I finally figured out how to get my CH Products HOTAS working in Arma 2.  The control settings in Arma can be a bit confusing and their documentation is sparse, but I'll keep tweaking.

I looked at the github site and while it's not as user-friendly as FT's, I'm sure I can figure it out and may give it a whirl.  Thanks for your patient assistance.
Spectre #8 28/04/2016 - 15h43

Off line

Having no success with any of the suggested measures using FreeTrack, I took Stormrider's advice and installed OpenTrack.  I've managed to get it working in Arma 2 OA and have every reason to believe it will work with all my other sims with proper tweaking.

The instructions for setup and adjustment of OpenTrack don't seem to be as clearly explained as those in FreeTrack, but there's a lot of trial and error involved in both programs.  It's unfortunate that FreeTrack development was halted so long ago, it's really a good program, but I just could not get it to work in every instance and was never able to get v2.2 to work.  Stormrider, thanks for the help, I think I'm on the way to workable head tracking.
Stormrider #9 29/04/2016 - 18h48

Off line

There is also a little explantion about opentrack on this page

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/_pages

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).