FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Anyone from Australia?
nvhlvnop #16 12/02/2008 - 21h43

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 12/02/2008

Off line

I use the same camera, the Logitech Communicate STX.  I have no problems with this.  There's no need to remove the IR filter because the camera sees IR just fine.  However, I do have to keep the room kind of dark.  In the camera settings, I have the gain set very near zero, and I turned the brightness down.  Make sure you also turn off the automatic settings such as exposure, etc.  Once I filed down the LEDs, it also make a world of difference.  I can almost turn my head +/- 90 degrees.  I have not yet tried out a piece of film to block out visible light.  I'd like to try that soon so I can keep the lights on in the room when I play.
Merlin #17 22/02/2008 - 07h52

Registered on : 04/01/2008

Off line

Hi nvhlvnop,
Since my first post I contacted Logitech directly to find out about the STX and its Infra Red filter status.
The reply I received from their support people said the STX does NOT have an infra Red filter.
Just in case you wanted to know :-)
Kestrel #18 22/02/2008 - 10h08

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Merlin @ 22/02/2008 - 08h52 a dit:

Hi nvhlvnop,
Since my first post I contacted Logitech directly to find out about the STX and its Infra Red filter status.
The reply I received from their support people said the STX does NOT have an infra Red filter.

I find it very hard to believe that any consumer webcam, even the cheapest (which the STX is not), would not have an infrared filter since infrared light completely overpowers normal colours and creates a very poor picture. The Logitech rep might have meant that there is no removable filter, or that the filter is so weak that it shouldn't affect normal 880nm wavelength IR LEDs.
Merlin #19 22/02/2008 - 13h12

Registered on : 04/01/2008

Off line

Yes well, it may be a misunderstanding on my part, I couldn't even get the STX open (without breaking it) to have a look - it's a completely sealed unit.

This was my question to Logitech support:
"I have seen some cameras which have built in IR filters and was wondering if the STX has such a filter?
Either internal or applied to the lense, or not at all??
Thanks for any info,"

Logitech support reply:
"From your email, I understand that you would like to know whether the camera has infra red filters. Please let me know if I have misunderstood your issue.

I understand how frustrating this issue can be for you, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I have checked and found that is does not have a IR filter

Please inform me if this resolves your issue... "

I'm not sure English was this gentlemans native language, as the bold text in his mail was the only thing that stood out as not being part of their "Response Template" and is not well written.

You be the judge.
Edited by Merlin on 22/02/2008 at 21h17.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).