FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  IR LED Alternate
Redwulf #16 04/01/2008 - 03h04

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 01/01/2008

Off line

:blink:   I been trying to pry it off!!!!!!!!!   That bugger doesn't pry off very easily.  I've been cutting, poking, prying, smacking, sanding, and just about anything else.  I even got ahold of my 7 pound sledge hammer.  BUt then I thought it might be over kill!!!!!   :lol:

I didn't get my new LEDs tonite.  Radio Shack closed before I could get there.  Maybe tomorrow.  I don't know what happened.  I don't see any issues.  My voltmeter is not working so I need to get a new one.  Then I can find the problem LED.

Sean
Kestrel #17 04/01/2008 - 03h33

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Getting to the filter for the Express should be similar to this:

http://www.free-track.net/images/filter_removal/deimos_labtec_webcam_pro_02.jpg
Redwulf #18 05/01/2008 - 03h47

Off line

Yeeha, partial success!   :D

I didn't have an LED problem.  It was all in the IR filter.  Once I got the filter out it was able to find the LEDs.

Now I need some different help.  I've got great frame rates and great jitter.  Everything is green.  My FPS are around 32 with a Jitter of 6.  The problem is I get these, jerks.  Or stutters.  It's just not smooth enough to play.  I'm sure it's an adjustement or setting in the software at this point but I'm having trouble finding it.

I honestly don't understand the software very well.  I've watched all the videos and tutorials but I'm a bit slow.  At first it was real bad, but I've got it working decent now.  It's just that the jerks or more like stutters are too bad to make it usable.

Any help?

Sean
Kestrel #19 05/01/2008 - 03h54

Webmaster (admin)

Off line

Redwulf #20 05/01/2008 - 04h09

Off line

Hi Kestrel,
Sorry I should have mentioned, I already had read that topic.

I also read another thread that said to try and set the camera FPS to 28.  Mine is set at 30 which should be correct.  I tried to drop it to 28 and it wont' let me.  I don't think that is the problem but I could be wrong.  Any reason it won't let me change the FPS settings?

sean
Kestrel #21 05/01/2008 - 04h22

Webmaster (admin)

Off line

It is important to ensure that the setting Global -> Interpolation -> Average webcam fps is set to the actual webcam frame rate reported in the Cam section.

Make sure Jitter isn't too high and FreeTrack is minimized. When FreeTrack is not minimized the webcam frame rate is not controlled so some stuttering is to be expected.

You've done that?
Redwulf #22 05/01/2008 - 04h58

Off line

Kestrel,
I have done that.  I think it seems to be a CPU usage problem.  I noticed that when the "stutter" comes the green lights at the lower right corner stutter to 3 red. It is perfect with the stutter I see when panning.  So what I did was opened my task manage to see the CPU usage.  It was using 70% + with only FreeTrack running.  I must have an issue with my camera???

Since I've now strayed from the initial topic should I start a new thread on this so that others might be able to find this if they have similar problems??

Thanks,
Sean
egore #23 05/01/2008 - 14h17

Registered on : 21/12/2007

Off line

Wow Redwulf you have had quite an adventure so far...

Glad to hear you were finally able to remove the IR filter. World of difference. Regarding the CPU usage, when [i]only[i] three green lights are 'lit', the CPU usage should be acceptable. Is that the case?

When it 'jumps' to four red, it sounds like there is a little more tweaking needed. First off are the three LEDs relatively crisp round dots in the display? Not large 'blobs'? What I am getting at is make sure your camera is optimally focused. Without any other reference in the picture it might be tough to understand, but adjust the focus ring until the dots are as clear and crisp as can be. If this is the issue and you have larger blobs, the software will sometimes pick up one of the blobs as more than one source of light. Make sense?

If after proper focusing, you are still jumping to four reds, then it's back to software adjustments. Start with the threshold slider in the main window and optimize that during head (LED) movement so only three greens are present.

Try those options and report back.

Someday soon, you will be able to enjoy this thing!
Deimos #24 05/01/2008 - 16h41

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 07/11/2007

Off line

Good to hear about the IR filter success :)
For focus adjustment, for me ts sometimes better to use the original webcam software, not freetrack itself. If i set  the exposure slider high, so i can see my head, not just the LEDs, it's easier to see if focus is adjusted properly.

The increased CPU usage might indicate that the FT "sees" more than the 3 points it should see and simply "doesn't know" what to do with the extra points ;)
I did run into a problem that caused behavior like one you describe. The frame of my setup is made of steel rod, which is rather shiny, so sometimes light of my room illumination - halogen reflectors above my head was reflecting off exposed parts of the rod, and the reflections were bright enough to be picked up my FT as additional points. I didn't notice the problem at first, since it didn't happen when the room was illuminated by daylight. When i covered the rod with matte isolation tape everything worked fine.
So if your setup has some shiny parts, try covering them with some matte material and see if it helps.
Also make sure that you don't have any light reflecting off background objects (like a glass of picture frame) - again it is the best to use the webcam software with exposure turned a bit up to do this.

Here you can see the effect of a shiny frame, and Here i've put an alarm clock in the background - as you can see light reflecting off it is even brighter than LEDs, so there's no way you can get good tracking in a situation like this.
Edited by Deimos on 05/01/2008 at 17h12.
Redwulf #25 07/01/2008 - 02h00

Off line

Thanks guys,
My dots are "bigger" than I thought they should be but I had already focused them as small as I could get them.  They are very crisp though.  When it's working it works great.  Its only when it spikes in usage.

The CPU usage is a reported problem with the Logitech webcams.  I've been searching the internet.  The thing is, when I turn everything off, includint freetrack and open my task manager as soon as I turn on the camera the CPU usage goes to about 75%.  That's without runing anything.  Only turning on the camera.

The only fix I found was a "clean install".  To remove the drivers in safe mode then reboot and install the drivers.  The problem is I can't seem to get the drivers to install.  I think the best solution at this point is a new webcam.  The amount of time to figure this one out is probably not worth it.  I've been looking about to see what the webcam of choice seems to be.  I don't wanna spend much and I'm thinking about the Microsoft VX1000.  But I don't see any mention of it's CPU usage.  I don't have an overly fast machine so a good camera would be critical.

Thanks again for your help!  I may fiddle with this some but I think it's a loosing battle.

Sean
Kestrel #26 07/01/2008 - 02h16

Webmaster (admin)

Off line

Redwulf @ 07/01/2008 - 03h00 a dit:

I don't have an overly fast machine so a good camera would be critical.

70% would suggest you have 1.5Ghz?

Drop camera resolution to 160x120.

Using a wii remote would use 0% cpu but it's not supported yet.
Redwulf #27 08/01/2008 - 02h11

Off line

Kestrel, that helped a bunch.  I don't know why I didn't think to do that.  I guess frustration!

That has really helped.  I'm still loosing my LEDs though.  I have them filed very flat but it must not be enough.  I still loose the tracking dots when I get my head turned.  I think I'm at a spot now where the Freetrack is working just like it should my rig is not quite perfect.  But the end is in sight!  Here are a couple pics of my LEDs.  They are pretty flat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My machine by the way is an XP2200+  1.8 GHz.

Thanks everyone!

Sean
Deimos #28 08/01/2008 - 13h04

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 07/11/2007

Off line

Yes, they're flat, but there's a lot of plastic still left above the diode electrodes (the metal parts). It looks like they're about 2-3mm left. You can try filing it even more, so that only 0.5-1mm of plastic covers the metal parts inside. That should give you even greater viewing angle. Just make sure you don't file it too much - there's a very thin wire between the electrodes and if you file too low, it's the first thing that gets damaged. Of course, without it the LED won't work.

One more thing before you'll grab the sandpaper or a dremel - are you sure that the battery isn't exhausted? Maybe try using a new one? If that doesn't help, one more option you could try would be to increase the current in the LEDs a bit (by reducing the resistor value).  What parameters did you input into the resistor value calculator (forward voltage, forward current)?
At radioshack.com this LED is described as:
High output infrared LED 5mm 1.2VDC 29mA 940nm
I guess that you used something close to these values for the online calculator? Using 1.2V forward voltage, 30mA forward current, 9V supply gives 200R resistor. 30mA is enough to make the LED shine, but it won't be very bright. 30mA is fine for red, green, yellow LEDs. If you tried to use a white or blue one, it wouldn't be enough as well. Try going to 60mA - this won't be hard in your case, since that would require one 100R resistor, ans since you're using two of these in series to get 200R, just bypass one of them (connect both leads of one of the resistors with a piece of wire), leaving the other as it is. Or if you have a soldering iron around, just remove one of them - i don't think you'll need to go back to 30mA ;)
Redwulf #29 08/01/2008 - 19h10

Off line

Deimos,
I did use the specs from the Radio Shack site.  1.2VDC 29mA 940nm.  I checked my battery and it's not a full charge but I believe it has enough voltage to operate it correctly.  I didn't know if filing down more would help or not.  I'll go that route first and if that doesn't give it enough I'll pull a resistor like you suggest.  I assume it's better for battery life if I can keep the resistance in the loop. (??)

Right now it keeps the tracking dot whan I turn my yaw right and left.  It doesnt loose the tracking dot until I turn the yaw max left or right and then look up.  Its the combination of yaw and pitch that cause it too loose a dot.  So I have to think it is very close.

I'll file them down and report back!

Thanks!

Sean
egore #30 08/01/2008 - 21h48

Registered on : 21/12/2007

Off line

And Sean, you absolutely have a clear line of sight from the side LEDs to the camera when you are moved to the 'max' position, right?

It might be obvious, but check it by moving in front of a mirror if nothing else. It's possible the front brim of the hat is obscuring the light from the camera. If so, bend the horizontal portion of the wire frame close as possible to the outer edges of where the LEDs are attached. This should move them out to the very edge of the brim and move them slightly forward as well. OR, flatten out the brim so there is minimal left-to-right curve...

Something to check before getting too radical with a solution.
Edited by egore on 08/01/2008 at 21h49.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).