FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Problem with web camera IR filter

RSS >  Problem with web camera IR filter
dionisisd #1 08/03/2015 - 17h16

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 19/02/2015

Off line

Hello guys,
I have a Hama web camera  like this.

I  removed the IR filter succesfully. I installed with a tape an old camera's film tape as i saw in a lot of tutorials. As i plug the camera back to the PC and run  freetrack it the camera comes with a black screen (which is normal as i assume). But when i press any button from the remote control which has an IR LED there is a wide area of gray like a splatter. Sometimes though it flashes as i keep the button pressed. I tried to reduce-increase the threshold value but nothing again.
What am I doing wrong? Is the camera bad?

Thanks for your time
Stormrider #2 09/03/2015 - 09h10

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

But when i press any button from the remote control which has an IR LED there is a wide area of gray like a splatter. Sometimes though it flashes as i keep the button pressed.

that splatter could you post a picture of it??And what type of hama webcam do you have?
Maybe your cam is out of focus or your ir-filter was one combined with a normal lens( like I had with my ps3-eye :wacko:)
The remote-controllers I know , they all sent flashing.You can check this with you smartphone or another digital camera device if it looks the same.. ;)
Edited by Stormrider on 09/03/2015 at 09h13.
dionisisd #3 09/03/2015 - 12h34

Off line

Stormrider @ 09/03/2015 - 10h10 a dit:

But when i press any button from the remote control which has an IR LED there is a wide area of gray like a splatter. Sometimes though it flashes as i keep the button pressed.

that splatter could you post a picture of it??And what type of hama webcam do you have?
Maybe your cam is out of focus or your ir-filter was one combined with a normal lens( like I had with my ps3-eye :wacko:)
The remote-controllers I know , they all sent flashing.You can check this with you smartphone or another digital camera device if it looks the same.. ;)

No it doesn't show the same as my mobile camera. In the web cam i see like a big gray bullet. I tried to change the focus but still the same
Stormrider #4 10/03/2015 - 11h43

Off line

The colors are a bit strange because you have removed the ir-filter, but is the picture normal or out of focus when you use it not in freetrack but in other software?
dionisisd #5 10/03/2015 - 15h05

Off line

Stormrider @ 10/03/2015 - 12h43 a dit:

The colors are a bit strange because you have removed the ir-filter, but is the picture normal or out of focus when you use it not in freetrack but in other software?

It is a bit out of focus but I twist the lens to fix it and it kinda fixes..But the colors are sort of fainted. However, in freetrack I see a black background and when I give a LED flash (no matter color ) it gives me the image I described.
Stormrider #6 12/03/2015 - 09h26

Off line

this is what they wrote in the Handbook of freetrack about the big blob issue,

he tracking points appear as big blobs.

FreeTrack won't correctly track points that are too large. Reduce webcam exposure and increase the threshold slider to reduce light bloom. Also make sure your webcam is not too out of focus; tracking is better when the points are only a little out of focus. Focus is normally adjusted by manually turning the webcam's lens ring.

When the LEDs aren't pointing directly at the camera different parts of the LED's lens body are being tracked.

Make sure only the front faces of the LEDs are visible by wrapping some black electrical tape or heatshrink around their bases.

That the colors are sort of fainted is because you have removed the ir-filter.
Edited by Stormrider on 12/03/2015 at 10h28.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Problem with web camera IR filter

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).