FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Reflective setup questions
chapp #1 28/11/2014 - 15h57

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 28/11/2014

Off line

Hello,

After much research, I am planning on using FreeTrack with a reflective setup. I do not want to deal with the hassle of building an LED setup. I plan on buying this:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/0-resources-products/TrackClip-black-isoRight.jpg

Based on a reflective setup, my questions are:

Would a Logitech C200 work well?

Do I need to remove the IR filter?

Do I need to install a pass through filter? If so, would the floppy material be good?

Thanks in advance!
Steph #2 28/11/2014 - 19h47

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Hi,

you have to remove the ir-filter which is to strong for ir-light.

There are filter removal guides for the C120 and C200.
For the settings reset problem (...some Logitech C-serie webcam reset there settings to default on every Freetrack start), see this thread:
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=2947&message=15779

A good daylight filter will be inevitable for the reflective tracking.
Try the floppy filter, but it's not the best filter solution as it blocks parts of ir light too.
You need a good ir-light source also.
chapp #3 28/11/2014 - 22h40

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 28/11/2014

Off line

Hello Steph,

Thanks for your answers. Just to be clear, I have to use an IR light source? Do you know a cheap solution? An IR bulb I can put in standard lamp?

It seems that device from TrackIR is reflective for natural light so I thought I could just use a regular light source.

Also, what kind of filter do you recommend, as you mentioned that a floppy is not ideal. Something cheap and freely available would be great! That's why I initially chose the floppy.

Thanks again!
Steph #4 29/11/2014 - 17h41

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Hi,

Track"IR" works with ir lights and a very sensitive cam, (and it works rather good.)

You do necessarily need a ir-light source, otherwise your webcam will catch all visible light around you.

I did some tests with a dozen of ir LEDs as a kind of spot.
I've tried it with a Logitech 5000 pro without success because of a lack of sensitivity for the reflected IR light.

No idea if there are IR bulbs with standart sockets. (I do not recommend medical heat infrared lamps except you need to heat your home. :) )

For a daylight filter solution:

Scotch tape
Colored sheets

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).