FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Do I really need a special webcam?

RSS >  Do I really need a special webcam?
moeburn #1 21/08/2014 - 15h24

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 30/01/2012

Off line

I'm getting tired of the lag involved with FreeTrackNoIR, and I want to build a proper IR tracking setup.  But I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Now I can make a hat with 3 IR LED's no problem for less than $5.  But do I really need to get a special high-framerate webcam with a removable IR filter, or can I use the 30fps Microsoft Lifecam I already have lying around?  It does have an IR filter and it isn't removable, but it clearly doesn't block ALL IR light, because I can see the light from an IR TV remote in the webcam.

So couldn't I just use super-bright IR led's and then raise the exposure and lower the brightness of the image until only the LEDs show up on the picture?

Also, just how bright do these IR LED's have to be?  I've got your basic dim TV remote kind, I've got some small "super-bright" ones that are the same size as the TV remote kind but brighter, and i've got some larger "ultra-bright" NV illumination "Star" LED's that are so bright that they give anyone in the room a massive headache and eye pain after about 10 seconds, even if they weren't looking directly at the LED.
Stormrider #2 21/08/2014 - 19h01

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

But do I really need to get a special high-framerate webcam with a removable IR filter, or can I use the 30fps Microsoft Lifecam I already have lying around?

It depends on what you expect and want..You can try ftn(facetracknoir) with pointtracker plugin with you webcam.If it works like you want it is good.

First I used a ms vx3000 webcam with 30fps, now a ps3-eye with 60fps. I must say that ps3-eye setup works better but with my old webcam it was also good enought.I both  had to modify because of a to strong ir-filter.

Also, just how bright do these IR LED's have to be?

What you want/need are three dots good visible, even when you move your head and at the distance  you sit from your webcam.You probably need a filter to block the normal light and let the ir-light go through.But that is something you find out when you try your leds with the webcam.
If your leds have a round top, sometimes you need to file them down for a better viewing angle.
For any other question use the search funtion or just ask. :)

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : Tracking System > Do I really need a special webcam?

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).