FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Did I fry my webcam?!, worked for a couple minutes then grey screen...
zorminster #1 08/12/2013 - 21h28

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 08/12/2013

Off line

Hi, new user trying free-track.  I just put together my hat and was trying it out...looked promising, then total and utter failure.

3 Point hat using
3x  LED Supply P/N  L3-0-IR5TH50-1
4x 220 ohm resistors in parallel (total resistance 55 ohm)
1x 30mA constant current LED driver (matches max forward current of LED)

So, when i first started it up, they were REALLY dim visibly and didn't seem to even fill the LED lense with light.  At this point, freetrack was working - i had video in my webcam and i could see it in freetrack; everything was a red hue and the points werent detected [I haven't removed my IR filter] but it was working.  I figured they'd need to be brighter so i used gator clips to bypass the resistors.  This time, when i sat down and looked at my computer, i had no video and just a solid red screen in free track.   Opening the webcam controller revealed a solid grey screen.

I still record audio with the camera fine but have only a grey screen.  I have removed freetrack and the webcam software / drivers and run a registry cleaner before reinstalling the webcam but i still only have a grey screen.

So did I fry my webcam?  Or does anyone have any ideas on how to undue whatever i've done?
Steph #2 09/12/2013 - 14h54

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Hi,

what is your webcam?
IR-light do not fry the cam. Did you try to change settings. For me it looks more like a overflow, like when you decrease contrast.
zorminster #3 10/12/2013 - 00h45

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 08/12/2013

Off line

Oh shoot! I can't believe i left off key info like that!

Logitech C310
Windows 7 x64

I tried adjusting the contrast sliders to no avail, i either had a full black screen or a full red screen in freetrack.  When i was just accessing the webcam software it was grey no matter what.

Interestingly, i just opened it to check the overflow theory - i was going to manually adjust contrast and brightness sliders in the webcam software and i'll be damned if it's not working again.

Brings up an interesting point - i notice my webcam has a 'RightLight' auto-setting.  Is it safe to assume i'll have to shut that off to get proper function in free-track?  I suspect it scales exposure based on IR detection or something

I guess i'll open it up to pull the IR filter and give free track another go (This time with all the resistors in the circuit again - maybe they don't need to be visibly bright to me to be sufficient for freetrack. LoL)

I'll keep giving it a go!

Edits:
grey screen caused 100% by auto white balance and auto exposure.

Managed to remove the IR filter from my logitech C310 - not sure why
everyone says it cant be done.  Open camera, remove dab of glue on lens, unscrew lens, IR filter is flat piece on inside - apply pressure with razor blade to crack filter and then carefully remove pieces.  Wipe clean with microfiber, screw lens back in, open webcam software to adjust focal length and then reinstall the housing.

I ended up not being able to make freetrack work with the logitech software though so uninstall all that junk (drivers included) and restart (required to totally get the drivers gone).  Allow windows to install default USB video drivers.  Start up freetrack and it should work then.

Still got lots of finagling, but it's promising so far!
Edited by zorminster on 10/12/2013 at 02h41.
Steph #4 10/12/2013 - 12h47

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Brings up an interesting point - i notice my webcam has a 'RightLight' auto-setting.  Is it safe to assume i'll have to shut that off to get proper function in free-track?

Yes, disable all auto-settings, like "RightLight", white balance, etc.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).