FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Micro movement
fortran #1 09/06/2013 - 02h17

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 05/01/2009

Off line

Hi guys,

Just got up and running with FT. a VX-1000 and a TrackClip Pro. Been working quite nicely but there is one small thing I can't seem to work out. Using it with flightsims such as BlackShark is there any way to reduce/eliminate the micro movements you get when the head is techincally still.

For example in blackshark I look at a control panel, my head is techincally stationary although as shown in the cam view and tracking my head is making very tiny movements, seeing as its impossible to be %110 stationary. In-game obviously these same small movements are moving the camera ever so slightly which makes focusing on a control panel to operate switches a bit of a task.

I have seen several TrackIR videos where people are flying, look at a control panel and the tracking does not seem to move even by a centimeter while their head is static and looking at something.

I have tried adjusting smoothing etc. but this leads to obvious lag in my normal movements when those are fine normally. Also I have tried playing with deadzones but these only seem to come into effect when my heads is in the normal centered position.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Steph #2 09/06/2013 - 12h00

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Hi,

Try out something around these basic settings:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The death-zone is only effective around the centre but smoothing normally suffices at any point of view to get a stable view.
Be aware also, that you need a certain time of adaptation in the beginning, as you are not in a one to one movement, which makes it a little tricky to get the right feeling of six axis view.

You can also try out this settings on a button of your stick or keyboard:

Posted Image

'Stable smoothing' is very effective in zoom view and more natural then 'pause'.
fortran #3 09/06/2013 - 22h30

Registered on : 05/01/2009

Off line

Hi Steph,

Many thanks for the reply, got a good starting point from mimicing your settings above. I think I had maybe unrealistic expectations about headtracking in terms of responsivness vs accuracy so finding a good trade off seems to be essential. I now have some delay between head motion and ingame response I guess from the smoothing but the accuracy is much better improved. Is this something to be expected? Many thanks again for your help.
Galileo38 #4 04/08/2013 - 07h22

Registered on : 03/07/2013

Off line

I find that good responsiveness gives me very realistic feeling in Flight simuation games like FSX.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).