FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  3D printed clip
Jewcookie #1 21/05/2013 - 13h25

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 18/03/2009

Off line

Hi Freetrackers. I want to share my design for a 3 point clip. I posted it on Thingiverse to use with your 3D printer. I used PLA to print it.

The dimensions are according to the 3 point clip standard settings in Freetrack. For powering the IR LED's i used a standard 3 point bicycle light.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:62827

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Jewcookie on 21/05/2013 at 13h50.
Steph #2 21/05/2013 - 18h48

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Great work and thanks for sharing!
ugotdan #3 23/05/2013 - 09h39

Registered on : 08/05/2013

Off line

Wow that is totally sexy! can you send me the specs so I can print one??!!
Jewcookie #4 24/05/2013 - 20h34

Off line

ugotdan @ 23/05/2013 - 11h39 a dit:

Wow that is totally sexy! can you send me the specs so I can print one??!!

Thnx! You can download the STL file from the thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:62827
doveman #5 06/06/2013 - 09h38

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 09/05/2012

Off line

This is a great idea and will make life easy for people with access to a 3D printer. Good job :)
ugotdan #6 13/06/2013 - 20h10

Off line

I just made one of these using your file! Thank you so much for sharing :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by ugotdan on 14/06/2013 at 10h49.
Jewcookie #7 25/06/2013 - 12h39

Off line

ugotdan @ 13/06/2013 - 22h10 a dit:

I just made one of these using your file! Thank you so much for sharing :D

Nice! I see the clamping part doesn't work for your headset but you solved it nicely.  ;D
dannywaugh1 #8 29/12/2013 - 23h05

Registered on : 15/12/2013

Off line

Hello guys. I have managed to get this printed and got all the leds wire resisters etc but im finding ot hard to fit it all into the 3d printed housing. how did you guys to do??
ugotdan #9 08/01/2014 - 13h40

Off line

It is kinda tricky... I used a really thin gauge wire, cut to the (approximate) exact length required between LEDs and resistors. Looking at my headset in previous posts, I basically ran the neg (black) wire up the long leg and solder it to the three neg wires for the LEDs halfway up the leg. I then twist three resistors together and solder, bending two over on itself so you have one pos. in, and two pos. out, in one direction (the long leg) and one pos. out facing the short leg. From there just connect the LED wires. On my first couple attempts I super glued the wires into the frame once setup, so I had no problems sticking the frame together.
Try not to fold wires onto themselves as that takes up too much room. Use the correct lengths and you'll have no problem with room. It's been a while since I've done one, and all of my friends now have one ;) but if I do build another I'll take a pic of the internals for you ;)
Hope this helps!

Also, I don't have access to a 3D printer... I just looked around for services on local sales website (Gumtree - Australia) and got a guy to make a dozen for $8 AUD each :) Total cost of my TrackIR with 3D printed clip was less than $15 AUD. Point is, you don't need your own 3D printer to make one of these ;)
Edited by ugotdan on 13/01/2014 at 01h15.
dannywaugh1 #10 12/01/2014 - 18h43

Registered on : 15/12/2013

Off line

thanks thats great!
ugotdan #11 13/01/2014 - 01h24

Off line

Here's one I put together for you this morning :) note the neg. wires all connect in the long leg and the pos. wires all connect down the short leg to allow to fit inside the frame. Try to minimize overlapping wires.
Posted Image
Also, here's a pic of pre assembly, with the wire lengths I use (they are not perfect but close - allow for overlapping on solder joins). Note the white wire is the thin gauge wire I originally used but it was too painful to strip the ends so I went up a size. Ruler there to give a visual on wire gauge.
Posted Image
Hope this helps :)
snyderbl #12 13/08/2014 - 18h27

Registered on : 13/08/2014

Off line

Really glad I found this thread. I was on the fence about building a FT clip; I didn't like the idea of a mess of wire hanging around my headset.

Jewcookie, the clip looks fantastic! I grabbed your file off of Thingiverse and had it printed from Sculpteo.com. Paid about $14 USD, should receive it sometime early next week. I'll be sure to update when I get everything in and start building. I'm curious what kind of power supply you're running in that bike light.

ugotdan, I'm shooting for a design almost identical to yours. I ordered the same 2xAA battery holder with switch plus LEDs/Resistors from digikey.com. Plan is to mount to my headset with velcro, but have the longer arm on the bottom.

Some other questions:
What kind of battery life are you getting? I'll be using SFH485Ps @ 50 ma with 1.2V 2300mah rechargeables so I'm expecting ~15 hours.

How are you connecting the two halves together? I'm thinking I want something non-permanent in case I want to change to USB power in the future.

Looking back, is there anything about the setup you'd change now?
snyderbl #13 21/08/2014 - 22h24

Registered on : 13/08/2014

Off line

Finally got everything in!

Posted Image

Link to imgur album
ugotdan #14 12/09/2014 - 08h56

Off line

Isn't it great when a community can get together to build something truly unique and share it with each other?! Jewcookie's design is nothing short of fantastic :D Thanks! I have built dozens of these for friends and it makes playing Arma so much better!
Sorry I didn't reply to the thread. I don't get notified when someone posts on the topic... So I just drop in from time to time to see how things are working.
Snyderbl, your clip is looking great! Well done! I hope it's working perfectly for you. You know, my software never tracked my clip perfectly and I simply thought it was because the clip is offset from the center of my skull/spine. However, I didn't really think of mounting the clip the other way around lmao. I think I'm going to try that to see if it changes anything.
Battery life? Well, I copied the tutorial on this forum and tried to get the same components. I am not really electronically savvy. I simply tinker and read about the simple components, so I don't know what I "should" be getting out of it. I do know that I have had my clip go for over a month without charging the batteries. I play arma3 1-2 times a week and that's all I use my FT for atm. (waiting for Star Citizen to release the single player missions).
I used super glue to stick mine together. I figure if I want to change it I can sell it to a mate and build another within the hour ;)
Would I change anything? The battery box is kind of big... Maybe I would look at using a AAA battery box, and sacrifice some battery life. I would then consider installing two external contacts to the battery box and build a little trickle charging dock for it to sit in when not in use. Maybe use a USB cable as the power supply to the dock if possible? - just to make the clip more compact ;)
Let us know how your clip goes! And please ask more questions :D
doveman #15 12/09/2014 - 14h26

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 09/05/2012

Off line

Did you use these dimensions?
Posted Image

I built something on wood (this photo is a cardboard prototype) but it didn't work very well as the LEDs tended to merge when I looked up or down, so I think I need to make it bigger but I'm not sure if your model is any bigger than mine.
Posted Image

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).