FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Can't figure things out...
AzureX #1 07/02/2013 - 04h50

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 07/02/2013

Off line

Hi,

So ive been trying to get free track running well for days, but i have major problems.

I have  Track PRO Clip attached to my headset, Logitech QuickCam PRO 4000 with IR filter removed and visible light filter installed (floppy disk section) over the lens.

In FreeTrack's model configs i've set my model dimensions accordingly, and ive done some measurements for my model position translation point (R) relative to my heads pivot point at (C), yet motion is completely wrong.

For starters, i cant look down, period. Haven't gotten mr skull to look down, not once, since i started it. I've done my measurements many times and cant figure out why.

That last part was a lie, i have gotten skeletor to look down, but only when i turn right or left. To me its not making any sense what math is going on here that's translating left around a curved object as Up.

Yaw's just cause the dude to spaz out...

So anyways here are my questions

1. Should the camera be facing point R on the model, or be align with Point C, my head? Ive got the clip on the left side of my head, manual and program both state to target the model point (R), but like i said theres so much going wrong i cant tell if camera position is really the issue.

2. Orientation controls: Once again is this the angle and position my camera is physically at RELATIVE to R or RELATIVE to the camera mid point on the video feed? I don't see any changes when adjusting these values.

3. Model Position: So, if point R (From my perspective) is 100mm to the left of the center of my head, i adjust the horizontal to +100mm. Ive tried flip flopping all these values and still get these weird tracking issues.

I'm completely in the dark here, probably missing somethign right infront of my face, but im exteremly confused on everything.

If anyone has got a short step-by-step setup guide on calibrating the software for the 3-point-clip or can answer my questions in detail that would be awesome!

All settings set to 0 or default
Posted Image

My model dimensions
Posted Image

My desk setup with camera on left side of monitor facing track clip
(large image)
Edited by AzureX on 07/02/2013 at 05h18.
Steph #2 07/02/2013 - 14h23

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Hi,

let's go step by step:

1. Camera position in relation to C or R isn't really important. Face the cam
in front of R (Clip) and ...

2. let the "orientation"-values on default (0).

3. Measure the track-clip pro. I found these measurements of Track-Clip pro.
Measure the "Model Position" as good as possible like this:
Model position
Vertical value (V) has to be positive, as R is in relation to C not inverse.
Depth is negative.
Take care that non of your axis are inverted in the profile or global settings.

Give us news.
Edited by Steph on 07/02/2013 at 14h28.
AzureX #3 07/02/2013 - 20h57

Off line

Ill start working on that tonight.

Yeah I just noticed that my model r point measurements were off this morning. I was so frustrated with it that I must have missed that before going to bed.

Ill update you once I get those settings redone and let you know what it's doing.
AzureX #4 08/02/2013 - 05h05

Off line

Okay so more on point this time

Used the dimensions for the clip (actually used these before and had little success).

Corrected the model position error and im know getting full range movement, only issue is roll is having some x and yaw thrown in with it (when i roll left, skull moves left and looks at a 45 degree angle from center point).

Still doing corrections and adjustments but more much more accurate this time
AzureX #5 10/02/2013 - 00h03

Off line

So I've got everything setup properly, but I've got very limited movement.

My camera's FOV is actually 40, so I get a good close up of my face but not a lot of range in movement. I've tried making sensitivity changes, but if I want to zoom to the bottom corner, my zoom is way too sensitive on the x axis ( I move an inch and on dcs a10 I plaster my face on the HUD, not good). Ill be purchasing a ps3eye and try that out. Ill need a new webcam regardless because the connection drops out on my current one after an hour of use.
Steph #6 10/02/2013 - 11h17

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

My camera's FOV is actually 40, so I get a good close up of my face but not a lot of range in movement.

Try to get something like this, on the control monitor. To much zoom leads to high sensivity.

Posted Image

Then work on smoothing to get more fluid movements:

Posted Image

but if I want to zoom to the bottom corner, my zoom is way too sensitive on the x axis

Use the zoom smoothing multiplier, to get dynamical smoothing on zoom.

Posted Image

...and at last figure out the right curves. You can change them with left mouse click on the little black squares or use one of the standard settings.

Posted Image

You need to pull the curve end up to the upper right corner to get full 180° output. Y-axis is your real head movements, x-axis the ingame output.

Posted Image

Set up medium deadzone works well for me.
AzureX #7 11/02/2013 - 17h24

Off line

The camera I've been using finally went out after 6 years of use, I doubt that it had anything to do with the modifications I made.

I picked up a ps3 eye from a friend and I've had much better luck with tracking and IR sensitivity. Still playing around with the curves, but the headtracker.dll im using is extremely well made for DCS, and filters out most of the bad input. When rolling i still have issues in freetrack, but the actual headtracker.dll filters it out and gives me a true roll.

So I'm going to play around with the curves and get the settings just right, but as far as tracking my issues have been resolved thanks for your help!

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).