FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  4 point hat, odd results
tankbuster #1 22/10/2007 - 20h45

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

I'd like to report some of my thoughts about this system. With the 4 point cap, the preview skull (and thus, the game viewpoint) doesn't work ideally. Allow me to explain.
Because, with the 4 point cap, the leds are some way in front of my head, some movements are strange. For example, if I look to the left or right (yaw) then instead of rotating the skull, the head actually slews left and right before it actually rotates. Roll (for ArmA lean) gives the same result.
Looking up or down (pitch) also, moves the head up and down without enough real change in pitch.
Now, I know this is because the leds are well forward of the point of rotation (the middle of my neck) but I'd like the software to be able to allow for this and compensate.
Any thoughts?
Paul
einsena #2 23/10/2007 - 01h56

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 27/08/2007

Off line

tankbuster @ 22/10/2007 - 22h45 a dit:

I'd like to report some of my thoughts about this system. With the 4 point cap, the preview skull (and thus, the game viewpoint) doesn't work ideally. Allow me to explain.
Because, with the 4 point cap, the leds are some way in front of my head, some movements are strange. For example, if I look to the left or right (yaw) then instead of rotating the skull, the head actually slews left and right before it actually rotates. Roll (for ArmA lean) gives the same result.
Looking up or down (pitch) also, moves the head up and down without enough real change in pitch.
Now, I know this is because the leds are well forward of the point of rotation (the middle of my neck) but I'd like the software to be able to allow for this and compensate.
Any thoughts?
Paul

did you already try tweaking the profile a little bit?
try increasing the pitch, yaw, and roll sliders.
Kestrel #3 23/10/2007 - 02h43

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Minimizing parasitic translation during rotation:

*Ensure the translation sensitivities aren't too high relative to the rotation sensitivities.
*Increase rotation sensitivity.
*Decrease translation sensitivity.
*Position webcam further away; allows translation sensitivities to be reduced while still allowing for a reasonable range of translation movement.
*Use a medium deadzone for the translation response curves  (right click -> deadzone -> medium deadzone).

The 3 point clip allows some of the parasitic translation to be removed through calibration. I haven't used cap mounted models enough to notice parasitic translation as being a problem.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).