FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Wii Remote .v. Camera(s), Which to choose !!!
wormeaten #16 07/02/2010 - 09h56

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 13/07/2009

Off line

This is first time someone says something about so far we know two issues connected with Wii.

On the other hands Webcam you can modify and avoid that problem.
Let compare some of performance here.

Wii mote:
Positive (+)

•    100 fps
•    No using CPU
Negative (–)
•    Sensitive to day light
•    Time delay by BT connection
•    Low resolution
•    Need additional Blue Tooth device (additional 20$)
•    Price (about 40$)

Webcam:
Positive (+)

•    Cable connection no time delay
•    High resolution (640x480)
•    Easy modifying for best performance no day light sensitivities
•    Price (about 20$ for best buy model Microsoft VX 1000)
Negative (–)
•    30 fps
•    Using CPU

PS3 eye:
Positive (+)

•    Cable connection no time delay
•    High resolution (640x480)
•    120 fps with new driver 150 fps on 320x240
•    60 fps with new driver 75 fps on 640x480
•    High quality microphone
•    Easy modifying for best performance no day light sensitivities
•    Price (about 30$)
Negative (–)
•    Don’t have proper support in Free Track so you can’t use in full potential
•    Using CPU

Conclusion:
Wii mote has to be genuine because copies not recognized 3 light sources only 2, need additional BT and because of wireless connection have some delay. Looks like Wii mote also have problem with direct light same as TrackIR. Have some advantage in fps but work only at low resolution and it is more expensive than webcam.

Webcam have one limitation and it is 30 fps but now coming real question is this performance that crucial when human eye can’t see the difference at all because it has slower reaction. High resolution is more important than fps and if you sacrifice to buy one and remove IR filter and add light filter on you will got device who in practice work at least same good as Wii mote for half of the price.

Best solution will be PS3 eye but only if developer of Free Track wake up from hibernation and do some support after 15 month. It is relative new camera on the market but with it performance could be same good as TrackIR 5 so definitely have future.

Possible future
Motion tracking is now one of the most developing features especially in console world. Even now we have some hardware which we could use for head tracking for example gyro technology from PS3 sixaxes gamepad. There is also announcement of PS3 motion controller which working with PS3 eye so the future looks bright only problem is now FreeTrack.

FreeTrack is the same for 15 months and there is now new news it will be new version or this great story has to end.
Edited by wormeaten on 08/02/2010 at 23h06.
Burner #17 08/02/2010 - 17h49

Registered on : 17/01/2010

Off line

C6_LeBorgne @ 31/12/2009 - 08h56 a dit:

Wiimote rules !!!  :D

100 fps tracking , and no interference with visible light ( Use official Nintendo Wiimote )

I beg to differ on this one.. any daylight coming into the room severely effects my Wiimote (official brand).  It is almost impossible to get the threshold set during the day to allow tracking without red dots.  At night it works perfectly no complaints.  I've tried taping film negative to the front of it and it really doesn't help.
jxjcksn #18 10/02/2010 - 18h42

Registered on : 30/12/2009

Off line

:blink:   Dunno what to say   :snif:

I have a Shiro remote and a Wii Nintendo remote, used in my room with IR LED's from RadioShack.   I have the proper IR LED's recommended by this website but not yet got around to using them to build another unit, cos my Radioshack ones run fine.

I'm in a room that is Dark in the am then gets blasted by sunlight through 2 windows in the afternoon then dark at PM.
I notice zero difference in the pick up from my Wii remotes.  I havent had to put any filters on or make any adjustments.
I notice zero time delay with my Dongle.... Using Targus with Blusoleil.

C6_LeBorgne @ 31/12/2009 - 08h56 a dit:

Wiimote rules !!!

100 fps tracking , and no interference with visible light ( Use official Nintendo Wiimote )

./agree it's a shame this software may not be developed anymore, but hell, I got a kick out of building it, pride from makeing a working model, and truthfully .. don't think I can fly any of my simulators without it now lol  :D

Good luck and please post when you find your problem, I would be interested to know what you find as the problem
C6_LeBorgne #19 11/02/2010 - 19h13

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 09/08/2007

Off line

It's not a bug , Sun is an IR source .........  :D
Posted Image
C2D 6420 , 2Go DDR II , 570 GTX , Wiimote , A-quip mini BT Dongle , Thrustmaster Warthog , Pro Gamer Command Unit et PCDASH2
Burner #20 14/02/2010 - 19h58

Registered on : 17/01/2010

Off line

C6_LeBorgne @ 11/02/2010 - 20h13 a dit:

It's not a bug , Sun is an IR source .........  :D

Didnt say it was a bug.  Just wanted to know if anyone else was having a problem with daylight interference and if anyone has found a way to filter it.  Exposed film negatives are useless.  They were suggested in another thread.
draganflame #21 25/11/2010 - 17h27

Registered on : 18/11/2010

Off line

hello
my friends recommend to me this forum cause i need to sale my Nikon d90 bundle

cause i need money...(
Edited by draganflame on 25/11/2010 at 17h28.
Sasso #22 25/11/2010 - 21h05

Registered on : 08/11/2010

Off line

draganflame @ 25/11/2010 - 18h27 a dit:

hello
my friends recommend to me this forum cause i need to sale my Nikon d90 bundle

cause i need money...(

ummm thats a bit random and completely off topic... out of curiosity.. who is your friend? and why this forum :P plus wouldn't it have been better to start your own thread? :P i know it says camera on the thread but webcams are slightly different to SLR's :P

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).